Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Brighton & Hove Albion Vs Nantes Friendly (03.08.18)

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Stand out moment for me was Knocky, just before he was subbed, running down the wing and jinking left and right to beat his man and then laying in a wonderful cross. Hemed was the only Brighton player in the box and the ball was a little too high for him. Stephens on the edge of the box then berated Knocky, presumably for not pulling the ball back. Why the **** didn’t Stephens and other players on the edge of the box make the effort to actually get into the box and try and get on the end of the cross instead of standing still on the edge of it the box? We really do need to start attacking the ball in the box more and not rely on the ball being passed back whilst the defence get lined up.

You could argue that it wasn't a 'wonderful cross' if it was too high for the only Albion player in the box, but I agree with your main point. If we're continuing to play one up front, we have to have midfield players making runs in support and this was a perfect example. It's not as if Stephens has a great record of scoring with shots from 18+ yards, is it?

bhadiv1

Apr 28, 2009
Saltdean
This pre- season friendly got me thinking about the first time I saw us playing good foreign opposition.

It was at the Goldstone, early 90s, and they were East European.
It was a game of two halves, i think we won, but, it was tight, either we got a few in the first half, and they got a few in the second half, or vice versa.
That is really all I remember about it, and I'm not very sure about any of that.
Any ideas, anyone??

YUEs I was also their I think it was Steaua Bucherest, I think we were something like 3-0 up at half time, they then brought on their first team and I think in ended 5-4 to them, that's relying on my do
dgy memory so I may be wrong

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Hmmm, white, gonna show dirt very easily

White.jpg

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
YUEs I was also their I think it was Steaua Bucherest, I think we were something like 3-0 up at half time, they then brought on their first team and I think in ended 5-4 to them, that's relying on my do
dgy memory so I may be wrong

Have a feeling we were 4-0 up at half time. They pulled it back to 4-4 then we won 5-4?
Have a feeling Clive Walker scored.
Could well be completely wrong though!

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
Yes, that was great, but it was a shame he didn't seem to do much after. Between that and the keepy-uppy video, I have a feeling he'll turn out to be our best player (and first target for the vultures next summer).

AJ *almost* had a storming run down the wing, except Stephens(?) passed it behind him - he didn't look too happy about that.

March was awful, awful, awful. We need José starting against Watford.

Won't be match fit - returned from World cup with fitness issue and has had no pre-season.
Depending on AJ's fitness I would be tempted to play him and AK until Jose is fit

Jimmy Grimble

Brighton & Hove Albion Vs Nantes Friendly (03.08.18)

It'll definitely be AK and Solly starting on the wings at Watford.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Trying to be a bit clever here, but do any of you savvy computer guys know any downloads that would enable one to put a delay on a web site of up to say 3 minutes?

Too clever for NSC then :(

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Is that because you think time and injuries have caught up with him, or he's simply not PL class?

Time and injuries.......just think another season as a starting CF will be a step too far. Can see him doing a job off the bench though - particularly if we’re defending a lead.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Is that because you think time and injuries have caught up with him, or he's simply not PL class?

This squad can't have it both ways.

It can't pressure the opposition, be less defensive, push the opposition back into their own half.
&
Play Glenn 'lino wave the flag' Murray.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Time and injuries.......just think another season as a starting CF will be a step too far. Can see him doing a job off the bench though - particularly if we’re defending a lead.

I can see him starting some games and scoring. A quality forward, my favourite since Peter Ward.

Hopefully Andone plays a significant goal scoring contribution, taking the work load off of Murray.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
This squad can't have it both ways.

It can't pressure the opposition, be less defensive, push the opposition back into their own half.
&
Play Glenn 'lino wave the flag' Murray.

I know what you mean.

Hopefully with more pace and better defenders in the team, one or two players will have more of a free rein to support Andone or Murray. Rather than huge spells in games of a ten man Alamo defence.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here