Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Apple - the world's first trillion dollar company

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Is the right answer, ease of use is vey much the key to their success

:thumbsup:

I actually put a lot of value on anything which makes my life easier.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
:thumbsup:

I actually put a lot of value on anything which makes my life easier.

Sadly I have to have an android phone for work but the mini iPad I have is simply brilliant beyond belief.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Sadly I have to have an android phone for work but the mini iPad I have is simply brilliant beyond belief.

I agree. My iPad Air (or whatever it’s called) is super light, thin, and contains my organizer, a months worth of Guardians and Observers, my German course books, numerous other books, any work documents I want to review away from the office plus loads of other stuff. And having all this means it’s utterly brilliant for traveling.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I have found windows much easier than apple os, yes. Apple stuff feels very much like you have to do what they want not what you want. To me anyway.

Fair enough. I have a client PC for work but all my home/personal computer stuff is Apple. I feel I’m in a good position to compare ease of use and I find Apple much easier and much more intuitive not to mention more stable.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
You can’t just compare specs though. It’s also about ease of use. And Apple are streets ahead with this than other companies.

they were better for ease of use, are in many areas, others have caught up or better in areas. there's a large amount of emperors cloths, we're told Apple is so easy to use and accept it. even when they bury "Out of Office" function about 6 layers deep in Settings and not available in the Mail app. their famous ipod wheel is great once you realise to do a circle motion, its not immediatly obvious to everyone. generally as a non-Apple user thrown into using Apple occasionally, i dont find their UI much easier, down right difficult sometimes as they deliberatly hide things or dont have tools for power users. unless popping into a command line is now considered ease of use. if one uses Apple as Apple intended they are great.

the key to their success is high quality product and excellent marketing and branding.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Something has gone seriously wrong when the market cap of the world's biggest company is larger than the GDP of the world's 4th most populus country Indonesia

Where will it all end?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
their famous ipod wheel is great once you realise to do a circle motion, its not immediatly obvious to everyone.

What else would you expect a wheel to do other than go round and round?

And those who didn’t get it, how long were they typically stumped by this?

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
If only they made enough money to pay the manufacturers of their devices enough money to stop them from trying to KILL themselves.

In fairness, they pay the manufacturers; it is the manufacturers who pay their staff. Some of the manufacturers make huge profits. However, Apple could exert enormous pressure on their suppliers to pay a decent wage and, possibly more importantly, not engage in virtual indentured slavery of their staff - it’s unclear just how much pressure they do exert.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
What else would you expect a wheel to do other than go round and round?

And those who didn’t get it, how long were they typically stumped by this?

until shown, then its great to use. the confusion came from the upward motion while still scrolling down. a round motion to move vertically isnt necessarily intuitive.

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
Wow. Seriously slow on the uptake Bozza. This was announced mid afternoon yet you only posted this after 8pm. Was your browser not working?

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Good luck to Apple investors, but is this a bubble waiting to burst?

The mobile phone development trend has seen very little innovation in the recent iterations of both the Apple and Samsung flagship handsets.

How much longer can they entice people to upgrade to the latest device, which offers little new, other than the addition of dual-cameras and wide-angle front cameras? Thier adverts now tend to focus on promoting the brand more than the product, so why bother upgrading?

Apple shares seemed over priced to me, and the approaching trillion dollar valuation only led to further bloating with emotional investors ignoring the underlying fact that the core product development has plateaued. Any other brand might expect a market correction sooner or later, but the cult of Apple seems as strong as ever, a bit like Sony at the turn of the millennium.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Good luck to Apple investors, but is this a bubble waiting to burst?

The mobile phone development trend has seen very little innovation in the recent iterations of both the Apple and Samsung flagship handsets.

How much longer can they entice people to upgrade to the latest device, which offers little new, other than the addition of dual-cameras and wide-angle front cameras? Thier adverts now tend to focus on promoting the brand more than the product, so why bother upgrading?

Apple shares seemed over priced to me, and the approaching trillion dollar valuation only led to further bloating with emotional investors ignoring the underlying fact that the core product development has plateaued. Any other brand might expect a market correction sooner or later, but the cult of Apple seems as strong as ever, a bit like Sony at the turn of the millennium.

Apple's iPhone sales have been flat for a few years now, what they have been successful in doing is making more money per customer, whether through supply chain efficiencies, higher priced devices (iPhone X) or through additional services (iCloud storage, Apple Music etc).

But, yes, all phone innovation has largely stalled across the board. I bought an iPhone X, got it home, thought "why have I spent over £1,000 on a phone I don't need" and took it back again. My nearly two-year old iPhone 7 Plus is still more than adequate for my needs so I'm wondering if I'll bother upgrading when the new iPhone comes out in a couple of months or so. Right now, I can't see why I will.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
In the last year or two, the only real developments in phones have been i) camera quality - both in sensors and processing, and ii) removal of bezels (and introduction of notches...).

These are already filtering down to cheaper phones - particularly the notch design. What else is there now to draw new Apple users in to paying premium prices for their phones?

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
You can’t just compare specs though. It’s also about ease of use. And Apple are streets ahead with this than other companies.

Sadly that is complete bollocks and the reason that so many are still in thrall to the cult of Apple. The best Android phones piss all over the iPhone for battery life, speed and of course cost. I've tried using an iPhone and it was clunky, awkward and restrictive in comparison to a top of the range Android phone.

It's personal preference of course. The iPhone X is a great phone if you like the Apple experience. However the One Plus 5t is a better phone spec wise and costs half as much.

To say Apple are "streets ahead" regarding ease of use is just plain wrong though and makes you sound about as up to date on tech as BG. You may prefer to spend more to use Apple products but that's a choice based on brand loyalty and what you're used to using rather than because the products or "ease of use" are in any way superior.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here