Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Meyer to sign for Palace

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
I am reliably informed he is on over 100k a week.. Palace will never learn!

At least it’s coming down from £170 k !
The true figures come from Dom Fifield, a respected journalist with Palace contacts.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Surely you’re not tarring us all with that stupid twitter post ?
Who knows how he turns out, but there’s no doubting his ability and previous achievements.
It’s a gamble that’s worth taking imho.

Every club, including ours, has their edgy 'Football Twitter' fans that are intellectually challenged, I know that.

Will certainly be interesting to see how it all pans out. Bold move.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
At least it’s coming down from £170 k !
The true figures come from Dom Fifield, a respected journalist with Palace contacts.

How does that make them true? I'm not saying they are not, but he can only pass on what he has been told, in good faith.

I'd suggest it's in Palace's interests to talk down the money they are paying this chap. Whether they are or not - who knows...

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
How does that make them true? I'm not saying they are not, but he can only pass on what he has been told, in good faith.

I'd suggest it's in Palace's interests to talk down the money they are paying this chap. Whether they are or not - who knows...

Most definitely in their interests to talk his wages down.

But, BUT, it's not really in their style.

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012

He’s normally quite accurate with his Palace stories, so I take it as true.
But naturally you’ll take the opposite angle !

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
He’s normally quite accurate with his Palace stories, so I take it as true.
But naturally you’ll take the opposite angle !

The exclamation mark would appear to be erroneous, considering you are posting on an Albion messageboard.

albionite

May 20, 2009
Here we go again, not to long ago the same Nigel’s were trying to tell us Dwight Gayle only cost them £3m and he would turn out to be the best player ever.

Why are they always in denial on how much a player costs them.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Why are Palace using the hashtag #MeyerofLondon ?

Did he go somewhere in London in the end? I thought our Croydon chums had this sewn up?

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I worked with Brolin for a couple of weeks, in the summer of 1996 (while he was a Leeds player). He was a bit of a cock, tbh.

I was operating the timing systems for a Swedish version of the old 'Superstars' show, and we stayed in the same hotel, and spent the evenings and down-time with the 'talent'.

Brolin and Martin Dahlin were the only two who wanted treating like stars. Anders Limpar, who was the other footballer was an absolute gent. Various basketball, speedway, swimming folk all good value.

Ingemar Stenmark was (presumably still is) a massive oddball. Had lived as a virtual hermit in the far North for years, barely spoke, and was really awkward around everyone. He was revered like a GOD by the Swedish people though. And won the thing, despite being a couple of decades older than most of the other competitors.

I sometimes wonder why I hang about on this website so much. Posts like this with irrelevant but equally fascinating tales about Swedish sports stars who I'd long since forgotten existed are why.

Ingemar Stenmark is up there with Magnus Samuelsson for random Swedes I'd long since forgotten. Marvellous.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
...interesting piece on this bit of business by Ed McCambridge on the website of the highly respected German media outlet and broadcaster DW (Deutsche Welle):

The former Schalke star has signed with Crystal Palace, putting an end to a protracted transfer saga. With question marks over his attitude, the player may need to prove himself in more ways than one.

It would be interesting to ask Roger Wittman precisely where he believes Crystal Palace rank among Europe’s "top clubs."

Max Meyer’s agent was supposedly adamant his client would be "first-choice" at a Champions League contender this season. Having never played a single game in elite European competition since forming back in 1905, it’s fair to assume the south London club wasn’t what he had in mind.

Meyer signed a three-year deal with Crystal Palace this week, finally putting an end to one of the summer’s more curious transfer sagas.

His decision to swap Schalke, his boyhood club and a Champions League participant this coming season, for a team that finished 11th in the Premier League last time out, certainly appears fishy. Whatever his reasons for joining Palace, Meyer's in desperate need of a fresh start. Once a darling at Schalke, the 22-year old has recently become the poster boy for all that is wrong with modern football: a young player apparently only interested in money.

In his defense, there are some ways, other than obvious financial ones, that this move could work out. Palace are a well-established club, in one of Europe’s top leagues, with an experienced coach and some of English football’s most passionate fans. The squad, while unlikely to be a serious contender on any front, certainly isn’t lacking in talent.

There’s no reason Meyer shouldn't thrive at Selhurst Park. Assuming he performs the way Schalke fans know he can, a move to a bigger club surely won’t be too far down the line.

There is a lingering feeling, however, that Wittman's scheming — possibly at the behest of his client — has done more harm than good. Meyer ranked among the very best in passing and tackling statistics in the Bundesliga last season. He's widely regarded as one of Germany’s most promising talents and was available for free. So why did none of the "top clubs" Meyer expected to be "first-choice" at make a concrete offer? You would have thought they would have been biting his hand off.

There’s a suspicion that bigger Premier League clubs — Arsenal and Liverpool were both linked with moves — were put off by questions marks surrounding Meyer's character. Swapping Champions League football for mid-table obscurity and bags of cash certainly hints at a muddling of priorities.

By contrast, Jadon Sancho, who impressed in the Bundesliga towards the end of last season, reportedly rejected a higher wage at his former club, Manchester City, in order to further his development abroad at Borussia Dortmund. It was a bold move, clearly driven by a desire to wring the most out of his talent.

If Meyer is to make his way onto the transfer wishlists of Champions League coaches and back into contention for his national team, he could do worse than borrowing a page from Sancho's book.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
...interesting piece on this bit of business by Ed McCambridge on the website of the highly respected German media outlet and broadcaster DW (Deutsche Welle):

The former Schalke star has signed with Crystal Palace, putting an end to a protracted transfer saga. With question marks over his attitude, the player may need to prove himself in more ways than one.

It would be interesting to ask Roger Wittman precisely where he believes Crystal Palace rank among Europe’s "top clubs."

Max Meyer’s agent was supposedly adamant his client would be "first-choice" at a Champions League contender this season. Having never played a single game in elite European competition since forming back in 1905, it’s fair to assume the south London club wasn’t what he had in mind.

Meyer signed a three-year deal with Crystal Palace this week, finally putting an end to one of the summer’s more curious transfer sagas.

His decision to swap Schalke, his boyhood club and a Champions League participant this coming season, for a team that finished 11th in the Premier League last time out, certainly appears fishy. Whatever his reasons for joining Palace, Meyer's in desperate need of a fresh start. Once a darling at Schalke, the 22-year old has recently become the poster boy for all that is wrong with modern football: a young player apparently only interested in money.

In his defense, there are some ways, other than obvious financial ones, that this move could work out. Palace are a well-established club, in one of Europe’s top leagues, with an experienced coach and some of English football’s most passionate fans. The squad, while unlikely to be a serious contender on any front, certainly isn’t lacking in talent.

There’s no reason Meyer shouldn't thrive at Selhurst Park. Assuming he performs the way Schalke fans know he can, a move to a bigger club surely won’t be too far down the line.

There is a lingering feeling, however, that Wittman's scheming — possibly at the behest of his client — has done more harm than good. Meyer ranked among the very best in passing and tackling statistics in the Bundesliga last season. He's widely regarded as one of Germany’s most promising talents and was available for free. So why did none of the "top clubs" Meyer expected to be "first-choice" at make a concrete offer? You would have thought they would have been biting his hand off.

There’s a suspicion that bigger Premier League clubs — Arsenal and Liverpool were both linked with moves — were put off by questions marks surrounding Meyer's character. Swapping Champions League football for mid-table obscurity and bags of cash certainly hints at a muddling of priorities.

By contrast, Jadon Sancho, who impressed in the Bundesliga towards the end of last season, reportedly rejected a higher wage at his former club, Manchester City, in order to further his development abroad at Borussia Dortmund. It was a bold move, clearly driven by a desire to wring the most out of his talent.

If Meyer is to make his way onto the transfer wishlists of Champions League coaches and back into contention for his national team, he could do worse than borrowing a page from Sancho's book.

The goon show will be here in no time, rubbishing that.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here