Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Parking outside your home is a privilege!

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Yeah, doesn’t bother us, our 3 cars fit on the drive.....

Main problem is kids grow up and none can afford to leave home, hence family of 3 next to us have 4 cars inc boyfriends who now lives there pretty much FT. And family of 6 next to them have 7 cars between them before any visitors or other halves staying over.

That’s 11 vehicles between 2 semi detached households with only 1 off road parking space each!! My wife and I have 2 and we’re thinking of going down to 1...think we’re in a minority though.

And yet they nibble away at every tiny space still remaining around here, building more and more houses with perhaps 1 parking space each when the average need is 4 times that BEFORE visitors, commuters, nearby business parks overspill. It’s no wonder the roads are often blocked and congested

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
I live in a converted flat above the lady who had it converted. She often complains about anything that might reduce the amount of parking spaces, including a big complaint to council about a proposed small development nearby that she wanted everyone acquainted with her to join in on. That's fine except: she has already split her property into three which included removing her existing garage AND she also owns a seperate double garage adjacent which is never used and filled up with junk AND there's space in front of it for two cars if you're good at parking and that's not used either.
Self awareness eh?

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
We have all the cars on the drive, Mrs OW goes crazy when people park outside the house. We have the normal chat about public roads, road tax, and we don’t own the road so she goes for the resting crazy angry moo face, normally does it.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The government should tax more than 2 cars per household and re invest in public transportation.

That's a good idea in theory but not very practical. A student house could have six cars outside, none of which are registered to that address. Or there could be a situation that portlock describes where a boyfriend is living at a house ...but isn't according to registration details.

Nor does it take into account whether cars are required: four people may have cars in one household but two work in remote locations and two do shift work and start at 11.00 at night.

I do think councils could be more flexible with parking permits however. B&H, for example, could charge half what they do for one car, the current rate for a second, double the current rate for a third and quadruple rate for a fourth. That would get people thinking whether they needed all those extra cars.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
That's a good idea in theory but not very practical. A student house could have six cars outside, none of which are registered to that address. Or there could be a situation that portlock describes where a boyfriend is living at a house ...but isn't according to registration details.

Nor does it take into account whether cars are required: four people may have cars in one household but two work in remote locations and two do shift work and start at 11.00 at night.

I do think councils could be more flexible with parking permits however. B&H, for example, could charge half what they do for one car, the current rate for a second, double the current rate for a third and quadruple rate for a fourth. That would get people thinking whether they needed all those extra cars.

No but the student cars will be registered somewhere and if it’s car #3 or more there they pay the tax?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Main problem is kids grow up and none can afford to leave home, hence family of 3 next to us have 4 cars inc boyfriends who now lives there pretty much FT. And family of 6 next to them have 7 cars between them before any visitors or other halves staying over.

one wonders if they spent less on cars, they might be able to afford to leave home.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
From last year, but this is how a bloke from Liverpool decided to deal with a car lawfully parked outside his house

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4912398/Man-wraps-car-parked-outside-house-clingfilm.html

The father in law when he drove, used to jump up and move his car whenever the space outside his home became vacant. In his mind the space outside his home was effectively his.

Madness

Is it madness? I mean it’s hilarious, for sure. But the guy has a point. And those people clearly don’t care about their car much.

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
According to a report in the (yes I know), in the Daily Mail.
Police in Swansea warn feuding neighbours,,that parking outside your own house is it a privilege.
Well I'm glad we've got our own private parking space, as round our way parking is a premium.

Parking fueds!

It is a privilage. Lived next to the cricket ground for years which is surrounded by flats. If I got within 200m of my home it was a win. If there was a big game on I was happy with 800m and I was paying for a permit to park.
People that don't live in central Brighton and Hove have been spoilt. Park outside their house in for example southwick and you can feel their death stares.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
It is a privilage. Lived next to the cricket ground for years which is surrounded by flats. If I got within 200m of my home it was a win. If there was a big game on I was happy with 800m and I was paying for a permit to park.
People that don't live in central Brighton and Hove have been spoilt. Park outside their house in for example southwick and you can feel their death stares.

I have friends who used to live in a ground floor flat, just outside Hove rail station.
The car could've been anywhere on Goldstone Villas!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here