Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Drinking] The alternatives Real-world examples of how people do economics differently - The Bevy

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
See my post above, seems to me student car numbers will surely drop if everything I have understood is correct.

I hope that you are right, but seeing as students who live within a couple hundred yards of the uni now bring lots of vehicles, I cant see why they would not bring them later. If you are right then it is great but I cant see what will change when you concentrate that number of students in such a small area. I hope I am proved wrong, I hope out of 1400 students no one brings cars-.but I cant see that happening

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Why should a student need a car? The uni is in walking distance, Sainsbury's and Aldi will be in walking distance.There's a bus stop outside with about 30 buses an hour going into town (with unlimited rides at just over a quid a day), comparing favourably with the high cost of parking. There are a couple of student-friendly pubs a short walk away, an almost unlimited supply of takeaways on the doorstep.

Sure, students may want cars but if, as you say, the council is thinking of introducing permits so that there won't be somewhere close to park their cars and they have to walk to The Avenue or Hillside to park them, would they really be worth the hassle.

And so once again the problem of parking just gets pushed further out by introducing permits, and not resolved. Another area has to bear the brunt of displaced vehicles.

I am aware students get a discounted bus price, but is it really only £1 per day? An adult ticket for me is £4.40 via the app

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
"...his green-fingered senior citizens sometimes hold a fruit and veg sale-cum-competition at the pub"

Oo-err missus!

Childish I know but that did make me smile

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
And so once again the problem of parking just gets pushed further out by introducing permits, and not resolved. Another area has to bear the brunt of displaced vehicles.

I am aware students get a discounted bus price, but is it really only £1 per day? An adult ticket for me is £4.40 via the app

The concern is only with student cars. So just permit to a distance which will make it impractical for students to bring cars. Say a mile around the campus? I understand there isn’t an issue with residential/non-student cars, so why would any large scale number of these now be displaced? Maybe a few will save on the permit fee and park outside the zone but it wouldn’t be many.

Last edited:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

But how else to solve it? Who do you distinguish between cars belonging to people who already live in the area and students if they don't have a permit system?

I said just over a £1 a day. A yearly pass costs £1.09 a day and if a student buys a three-month term pass, that works out at £1.42, which certainly compares favourably to the cost of running a car.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
Yes, I think it's true that local authorities have been too swift to turn pubs into houses but these are generally pubs that aren't making any money: successful pubs don't close. The Bevendean was making reasonable money but, as you pointed out, it was closed for other reasons.

I think there's a bit a change in mindset now. There was an application to change the Hikers into student accommodation but that got nowhere (Sainsbury's got short shrift too). I'm looking forward to the re-opening.

The Alex and Allen were on what is now the Vogue gyratory. The Alex is now a head shop. I only went in it a couple of times and it looked dead, apart from a few ageing alkies. The Allen became The Counting House and the White Crow before finally closing, it's now student accommodation.

I hope you are right, but even if you are an awful lot of damage has been done.

I have no recollection of the Alex, I was a kid when the Vogue was running, and I’m pretty sure I used to see films there.

I thought the CH was new when they built the Sainsbury’s and changed the whole Vogue gyratory, knocking down Coxs and the railway bridge.

Good memories of the CH though, I don’t know if you ever went there but there used to be regular always on the pool table, I knocked about with him when we were kids. He was a body building fanatic and quite lumpy anyway but unfortunately he was not the full shilling (currently in Broadmoor I think).

I never used to play pool myself there but whenever non locals were in there, they had to play him first.

If you have ever seen the OFAH episode were Del plays imaginary snooker with an escaped mental hospital patient you will be in the ball-park.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Childish I know but that did make me smile

Same here. Old estate boozer getting done up means at some point we will hopefully dismantle capitalism from this tiny acorn thread was rolling on tediously until that little bit of levity. Well played.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
I'm not sure that it's the authorities, the pubs couldn't make money. The good news is that the Hiker's is set to re-open and the Royal Hussar (TirNaNog/Lectern) has now been classed as an asset of community value - meaning that steps are being taken to get it re-opened.

Sometimes pubs do close because they're dreadful - the Alexandra and the Allen Arms further along the road were pretty poor.

All pubs on Lewes Road have always been shit, forever.

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
I don't get this. The uni is about 200m from The Lectern/Preston Barracks, I know people are less reluctant to walk these days but I think young and fit students can manage that. Do you really think students are incapable of walking 200m?
I dont think its about walking to the Uni , more a case of Student bringing car down from where they come from and having car available around Brighton

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I have no recollection of the Alex, I was a kid when the Vogue was running, and I’m pretty sure I used to see films there.

I thought the CH was new when they built the Sainsbury’s and changed the whole Vogue gyratory, knocking down Coxs and the railway bridge.

Good memories of the CH though, I don’t know if you ever went there .

The Alex may well have closed before the gryatory was built; it looked dead the couple of times I went there. I never went to the CH, did go to the Allen a few times but it wasn't great.

It's hard to think of it now but there were four pubs within a 30 metre radius of Lewes Rd, there was no way that all could have survived.

All pubs on Lewes Road have always been shit, forever.

Nah, the Bear's a decent boozer. I used to go there to watch Albion matches on Sky, good atmosphere in there. The pub that shocks me is the Gladstone. It was my grandad's local when I was a kid and generally full of old men, these days it seems to be full of hipsters and anyone over 30 looks a bit out of place. Been there once in its new guise and thought it was all right.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here