Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Dan Ashworth - Technical Director

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Is it just me that can't get excited about this kind of role? Lets be honest no-one knows this guy or what he does and it could just be another David 'I discovered Raheem Sterling' Burke

Years ago I'd have agreed with you but the game is changing and these roles are crucial within any club now. Technical Director/Director of Football roles are now just as or possibly more important than the Manager as they are the roles that look after the long term future of the club, the manager is more concerned with the shorter term.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Years ago I'd have agreed with you but the game is changing and these roles are crucial within any club now. Technical Director/Director of Football roles are now just as or possibly more important than the Manager as they are the roles that look after the long term future of the club, the manager is more concerned with the shorter term.

I understand the concept, but where has it been successful and continues to do so ? Give me some examples and why

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean

Indeed, life expectancy of a manager in football is so short these days, someone has to be looking after the long-term future of the club and ensuring the blocks are in place to develop talent and provide a pathway for players to get into the first team.

It would be nice to understand what the role entails though - where does Ashworth's role end and David Weir's start for example.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Indeed, life expectancy of a manager in football is so short these days, someone has to be looking after the long-term future of the club and ensuring the blocks are in place to develop talent and provide a pathway for players to get into the first team.

It would be nice to understand what the role entails though - where does Ashworth's role end and David Weir's start for example.

See below. Weir will report to ashworth

https://www.brightonandhovealbion.c...h-to-become-albions-first-technical-director/

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
His role at the FA is very different to anything Barber does - oversight of coaching rather than administration. He'd be responsible for making sure that all the club's teams play the same way so that a player moving up through the age groups would know that he'd be working in the same team pattern or at least within the same overall playing scheme. Similar to a director of football but without responsibility for transfers and contracts.

Funnily enough thats exactly what Gus masterplan was.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Could this appointment be in response to bloom not being particularly happy with spending a shed load of money recently on pretty average players ?!

Bit early to be assessing summer signings. Also, club has been chasing a technical director for "some considerable time".

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Is it just me that can't get excited about this kind of role? Lets be honest no-one knows this guy or what he does and it could just be another David 'I discovered Raheem Sterling' Burke

By all accounts he was very influential in overseeing the behind the scenes improvements that made West Brom as competitive as they were including things like signing players like Lukaku, developing their youth Academy programmes and basically making them a lot more professional and efficient across all areas.

He’s a former professional player, youth team coach, academy development chief and latterly premier league technical director followed by becoming FA technical director and the chief instigator in the England DNA elite player development programme so no, no we don’t know anything about him...

I'm not sure and hope it doesn't upset the balance between Hughton, Barber and Winstanley. Let's wait and see.

I anticipate this will have been signed off by all and don’t get the feeling we go around bringing people in to take bits of other people’s jobs without canvassing their opinions first.

By all press and fan accounts so far he has done a brilliant job at every level and always progressed to the next level wherever he’s gone.

Maybe he wants a new project, or we’re simply offering him greater autonomy or perhaps paying him more but whatever the reason this can only be seen as a real coup for the club.

He was, if reports are to be believed, being considered for the same role at Man United this summer so Read into that what you will.

On a CH specific note he seems the type of person and Manager who is neither resistant to change nor closed to new ideas/ways of working and in my limited experience in a professional capacity those type of people are more likely to thrive and succeed than those who object/kick up a fuss in the face of moves like this. We’re incredibly lucky to have him on every level too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007
I understand the concept, but where has it been successful and continues to do so ? Give me some examples and why

These roles are part of the standard hierarchy at most clubs outside of the UK, where traditionally, the manager has covered all bases from coaching, scouting to negotiating contract renewals. It is now widely acknowledged that in the Premier League the manager needs support to run a successful first team.

I think the mistake that most people make is to assume that the Technical Director role is exactly the same at all clubs. When the reality is you employ someone for the job you need them to do.

I would imagine in our instance we are asking Ashworth to take on some of the football related activity that Paul Barber has to be involved in up to today, in coordinating the manager, the recruitment and operational teams, essentially making sure they are doing their jobs and providing strategic input. This will then allow PB to focus more on the commercial side of running the club and generating income to spend on the playing side.

I think this is a real coup for the club as he's been very highly regarded, as demonstrated by being recruiting by the FA.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Ashworth was questioned in front of a Parliamentary Committee over the Sampson/Aluko issue, and received some criticism for his handling of it.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/fa-director-accused-of-conflict-of-interests-jc965zd56

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41712598

Ashworth appeared at Wednesday's parliamentary inquiry alongside chief executive Glenn and chairman Greg Clarke, as well as human resources director Rachel Brace.

Following Sampson's sacking, the FA said that Ashworth - along with director Kelly Simmons - were not aware of any allegations before hiring him, but BBC Sport understands England players were aware of rumours.

Clarke told parliament that "a process of due diligence" should have happened around Sampson's recruitment, while Ashworth admitted he should have "asked for more detail" about the safeguarding report into the 34-year-old Welshman.

Ashworth also asked Aluko to be part of a cultural review of all England teams in early 2016, which is when she made her complaint of "bullying, harassment and discrimination."

He then began an internal review into those claims, at which he reportedly offered to give evidence on behalf of Sampson.

FA's head of women's football Baroness Sue Campbell told BBC Sport on Friday that Ashworth will be part of the recruitment process for the new England women's manager.

That said, I will imagine the Albion would undertake every ounce of due diligence - assuming this story (about him possibly coming to Brighton) has any truth to it.

Feels like a real coup this. Anyone who’s ever worked with him seems to give absolutely glowing reviews.

???

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton

Off the top of my head:

Man City - Begiristain;
Chelsea - Emenalo;
Sevilla - Monchi;
Roma - Monchi;
Liverpool - Edwards;
Dortmund - Zorc;
Southampton - Reed (until recently!);

It is more common in Europe and is going to become the norm in football here soon as clubs are treated more like businesses.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Bit early to be assessing summer signings.

Agreed.

And even if you did, those that have played have looked decent acquisitions - Montoya solid, Bissouma raw but promising, Balogun excellent. Andone and Bernardo, obviously can't be assessed at all yet.

If we want to stretch 'recent signings' to the last January window, there is obviously the one big question mark, but no recruitment team ever got them all right.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Interesting appointment. Ashworth is a guy who has been given a lot of credit for putting in place the structures at St Georges Park that has helped towards the recent success of Englands U17’s, U19’s and U21’s, and ultimately (I guess) the full England team this summer, although a lot of that was down to the luck of the draw. He’s clearly highly thought of and sought after though, so its definitely something of a coup to attract someone of his calibre to BHA. With his track record I’m sure he could’ve found himself a role at a bigger club than ourselves, at home or abroad.

Part of me has a feeling of “if it ain’t broke” though. The club has been on an upward curve and run brilliantly from top to bottom ever since CH arrived on the scene, so I’m wary of upsetting the applecart by appointing a Technical Director above him, and making changes that (from the outside looking in) don’t appear to be urgently needed. That said, we’ve not had much of late coming through from our U23’s and genuinely challenging for a place in the 1st team squad, so maybe this has been done with a view to looking at trying to bridge that gap some more. If that is the case, then it’s a massive challenge given the level we are now playing at.

I’m sure CH will have been fully consulted, Bloom won’t look at altering any of his influence or responsibilities, so as long as he is fully on board with this appointment then I’ll have faith that it’s a positive step that will help us develop and grow even further as a club. I gather from the reports that Ashworth doesn’t start in his role here till the spring anyway, so he’ll have time to observe the club before coming in and doing whatever he feels needs doing. Will watch with interest.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

Hence why I posed the 'Spanish Dave'-type question.

Having read the official press release, I still can't quite figure out exactly what his role will entail – it strikes me that all the existing people will continue to do their jobs, but now have Ashworth to answer to.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts

Paul Barber: “Paul [Winstanley] and his player recruitment and analysis team will report to Dan, but importantly their roles and responsibilities will not change. Paul will continue to head up this area, while continuing to work very closely with Chris, Tony and myself, as he has done for several years now.”

Uh oh. This is an organisational fudge, and, imo, likely to lead to one of PW or Dan leaving in the 1-3 year timescale.

Either, PW reports to Dan, in which case why is PB already limiting the changes that Dan can make to his team before the man has even started work, and why is he saying that PW will continue to work very closely with Tony, CH and himself?

Or, there’s in effect no change to PW’s reporting relationships and standing in the club, in which case why have him report to Dan?

A fudge, and one that will end in tears for one of the two men. You read it here first.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
From BBC story...

"Having recently attended a Fifa conference with Dan, we walked in the room as semi-finalists at a major tournament for the first time in 28 years but, perhaps even more significantly, as world champions at U17 and U20 level," said Southgate.

"In terms of the work of a technical director, I don't think he could have had a bigger impact with the plans he put in place at the FA and the way that the national teams have progressed in the time Dan has been in charge.

"That's coupled with the transition into St George's Park and the outstanding staff structure he's put in place. I think he can be really proud."

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here