Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Dan Ashworth - Technical Director

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
At the risk of using a variation of well-known question from years ago: 'Dan Ashworth – what will he do (as the Albion's technical director)?'

erkan

Dec 9, 2004
Eastbourne
I happened to have known Ashworth a few million years ago and it is quite amazing how he has been propelled into such a high position within the game, more power to him and he was a decent non league footballer, small and quick and from what I recall he found himself within the pro game through his brothers soccer school's PASS soccer that had some association with Norwich or Peterborough or somewhere similar, I have to say he didn't strike me as someone that would become so prominent at such a high level, more likely a PE teacher which I think he was actually training to be.
There is a parallel character in the England Cricket Board called David Parsons...

It is surprising how far people can get in.professional sport on the basis of well organised hard work and basic ability in the area of applying other people's innovative ideas (copied from the realms of education or business...).

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Maybe he'll change our philosophy & give us our own identity, our own DNA.
At the moment, it's sit back a little bit first half, ramp it up a bit second half. Make subs around the 70 minute mark.

Before you get too angry, the above is very tongue in cheek; I'm more than happy with the state of play at the moment.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
I think it's yet more progress as a club and the sort of thing that could really help us bring through more players. As well as his experience he must have lots of contacts of all kinds too.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
In what regard(s) do you consider him not to be particularly competent?

What an odd statement. Can you give a specific example of Paul Barbers incompetence ?

I take it I'm not the only one to notice the irony of a poster focusing on to quality of reply as a sign of incompetence, only to not then reply when asked to back that statement up.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Paul Barber's a money guy; Ashworth a football guy. Totally different roles

I've got to say, I'm not crazy about the "director of football" type role. So much depends on the reporting lines and the maturity/security of the people already in place. I can imagine having a another manager inserted above you effectively feels like a demotion.

If we do have one then they would have to be fairly ego free and be sure to complement, rather than inhibit Hughton and Winstanley, who are both doing terrific jobs

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005

I've got to say, I'm not crazy about the "director of football" type role. So much depends on the reporting lines and the maturity/security of the people already in place. I can imagine having a another manager inserted above you effectively feels like a demotion.

If we do have one then they would have to be fairly ego free and be sure to complement, rather than inhibit Hughton and Winstanley, who are both doing terrific jobs

Completely agree. Whilst it is not quite the same and the egos at play were totally different we don't want a situation we had where Poyet felt undermined by Barber.

I would assume though that Hughton is fully on board with this or it wouldn't be happening.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

I really do follow the thrust of what you're saying here, and am a big fan of CH and (I think) even more so of Winstanley, but the other side of this is the club is just getting bigger, and there are more elements that can probably be taken up by someone else. From my limited perspective/perch, everything at the top levels of this club is going extremely smoothly (I'm thinking of TB, CH, PW and, yes, PB), and Bloom wouldn't have acted to bring in an additional figure without thinking about it very carefully.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I really do follow the thrust of what you're saying here, and am a big fan of CH and (I think) even more so of Winstanley, but the other side of this is the club is just getting bigger, and there are more elements that can probably be taken up by someone else. From my limited perspective/perch, everything at the top levels of this club is going extremely smoothly (I'm thinking of TB, CH, PW and, yes, PB), and Bloom wouldn't have acted to bring in an additional figure without thinking about it very carefully.

This. Bloom runs a multi million pound business, Barber is a professional PL CEO, decisions like this will be very well thought out........this will be all about allowing CH and PW (and others) to focus entirely on their main priorities.

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
....Wouldn't surprise me if CH ,becomes our Director of Football at some stage.( Didn't Ron Greenwood hold that position for a while with us ? )

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here