Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Mac help

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I got a 2014 Macbook Pro, runs really well. I also have a 2014 (or might be 2015) mac mini which runs like a dog and regularly needs turning off and on again.
Both running High Sierra, both have 8gb memory. Got pretty much the same software on both too. As an example, Spotify takes about 5 seconds to load on the macbook and well over a minute on the mini.

Anyone come across this and can suggest anything apart from either reloading the mini or binning it for a linux box ?

chiefkickass

Jan 19, 2012
I got a 2014 Macbook Pro, runs really well. I also have a 2014 (or might be 2015) mac mini which runs like a dog and regularly needs turning off and on again.
Both running High Sierra, both have 8gb memory. Got pretty much the same software on both too. As an example, Spotify takes about 5 seconds to load on the macbook and well over a minute on the mini.

Anyone come across this and can suggest anything apart from either reloading the mini or binning it for a linux box ?

Can you switch the HD on the mini to a SSD? That would speed it up

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
No piece of software should take anything like a minute to start. Suggests something is up with the box.

Give this a go: https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT202731

I'd be tempted to strip everything back and give it a fresh install to see if it helps.

Didn't know about the diagnostics thingy, ta. Came back with no issues so I think a rebuild is on the cards

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Could be the logic board is not working / failing. I've got a MBP and it ran like a dog for quite a while, tried all sorts, but when I finally went into Apple store, their diagnostics picked up the logic board was failing. Changed that it was fine after. Might not be anything to do with your Mini's board, but thought I'd pass on the experience as I lived with it for far too long.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Could be the logic board is not working / failing. I've got a MBP and it ran like a dog for quite a while, tried all sorts, but when I finally went into Apple store, their diagnostics picked up the logic board was failing. Changed that it was fine after. Might not be anything to do with your Mini's board, but thought I'd pass on the experience as I lived with it for far too long.

I thought the logic board was, essentially, the whole computer and an uneconomic repair if not covered by Apple Care.

My mid-2013 Air, my daily workhorse, is struggling big time now. I shall be replacing it next Friday, buying a new MacBook Pro from a rather special Apple Store: https://www.apple.com/retail/appleparkvisitorcenter/

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I thought the logic board was, essentially, the whole computer and an uneconomic repair if not covered by Apple Care.

My mid-2013 Air, my daily workhorse, is struggling big time now. I shall be replacing it next Friday, buying a new MacBook Pro from a rather special Apple Store: https://www.apple.com/retail/appleparkvisitorcenter/

This is a late 2011 MBP, I really should upgrade but it has been so good. The logic board was annoying as I lived with it, then once it got tested in the Apple Store it failed completely in store. I actually missed a recall deadline for that model by 2 months for the logic board! Anyway, after a bit of wrangling and saying I entered the shop with it working and left with it not, they did a 50% reduction of the board replacement, so it cost about £150 – which has been well worth it. My wife's MBP is late 2006 and still works okay!

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne

What this image doesn't show is every macbook has a couple of 11 year old twats goobering into the camera :
store-drawer-tile-2_large_2x.jpg

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
What this image doesn't show is every macbook has a couple of 11 year old twats goobering into the camera

I was genuinely under the impression that the Apple Store in Brighton was a creche for my kids in Churchill Square while I go shopping! :thumbsup: :lolol:

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada

Don't bin it.

100% due to the old slow hard-drive.
In 2018, no one should have to deal with an HDD to boot their devices.

Your mini should have an SSD mounting tray inside the box, keep the HDD and buy + install an SSD (loads of easy to follow tutorials online).

Once the SSD is installed, reformat your HDD (after obviously saving your data elsewhere), and re-install the OS onto your new SSD, saving the HDD for your larger files, media etc.

If you've never done this stuff before, it might seem daunting, but luckily enough there are lots of helpful guides.

Here's a couple off Google.

Teardown Mac mini+Late 2014 Teardown

https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/350736/Upgrading+to+an+SSD

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Mac+mini+Late+2014+Hard+Drive+Replacement/32815

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
This thread is interesting to me. I have a 2010 iMac, and nowadays it runs like an absolute dog, both on OSX and W10. It has loads of RAM and plenty of space on the HDD in both Mac and Bootcamp, what suggestions can anyone suggest for fixing it, or is it simply too old? I shall also try the diagnostics as suggested.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
This thread is interesting to me. I have a 2010 iMac, and nowadays it runs like an absolute dog, both on OSX and W10. It has loads of RAM and plenty of space on the HDD in both Mac and Bootcamp, what suggestions can anyone suggest for fixing it, or is it simply too old? I shall also try the diagnostics as suggested.

Upgrade to SSD and reformat.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Don't bin it.

100% due to the old slow hard-drive.
In 2018, no one should have to deal with an HDD to boot their devices.

Your mini should have an SSD mounting tray inside the box, keep the HDD and buy + install an SSD (loads of easy to follow tutorials online).

Once the SSD is installed, reformat your HDD (after obviously saving your data elsewhere), and re-install the OS onto your new SSD, saving the HDD for your larger files, media etc.

If you've never done this stuff before, it might seem daunting, but luckily enough there are lots of helpful guides.

Here's a couple off Google.

Teardown Mac mini+Late 2014 Teardown

https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/350736/Upgrading+to+an+SSD

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Mac+mini+Late+2014+Hard+Drive+Replacement/32815

A 1 Terry Bite SSD is £250. I don't think it's worth it for a 4 year old computer. I'd rather flog it and build a new linux box.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
A 1 Terry Bite SSD is £250. I don't think it's worth it for a 4 year old computer. I'd rather flog it and build a new linux box.

You don't need a 1tb ssd. 125/250gb is perfectly good if you keep the hdd for media.

You only need to install the OS and programs to ssd for much quicker performance.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here