Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Chris O'Grady on the move again

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Chris O'Grady [Chesterfield - Oldham] Free … from the BBC website. Good on him. Nice lad.

I can recall watching the Albion up at Oldham and Chesterfield. Grim places. Good luck to him.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
He played a huge part in our promotion.
All things must come to an end.
Sad to see him go.
Loved the goal celebrations.
The times they are a changing.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Not bad as such, just not Championship standard which we were when he was with us. Can undoubtadly do a job in the lower divisions though.

Hasn't scored many goals since he left us, but holds the ball up well and clearly still has something to offer in the lower divisions.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
He wasn't quite up to standard but that Summer/first part of the season was so horrible. The football we were playing was MUCKY. Can't believe that was only 4 years ago. Ulloa leaving was just huge for that team.

Some stats to make you go cold.

Kemy Agustein played some minutes
Sam Baldock 22 games 4 goals
O Grady played 33 times (3 goals)
CMS 34 games 3 goals
Leon Best 13 games 0 goals
JFC got 33 games
Danny Holla 27 games
Gardner 20 games - 700 shots
Rohan in 38 games (OH MY GOD)
Greg Halford 20 games
Lewis Dunk was our top scorer.

Uh. I feel dirty.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Hasn't scored many goals since he left us, but holds the ball up well and clearly still has something to offer in the lower divisions.

I remember the Ipswich match shortly after Hughton took over - he didnt score (Baldock scored a screamer) but his hold-up and link play was superb - probs our man of the match that game. Shame it was so rare and he didnt score more. Good lower league player but didnt have the speed or prowess for the championship.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Always felt he'd prove a more sympathetic figure in hindsight... Signed for us amid some appalling transfer business, under a woeful manager and in a terrible team. He also wasn't good enough but if you're looking to come into a team after a decent season previously, ours was not the team to kick on with at that time.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Decent lower league player. Looked woefully out of his depth when I saw him play for us. However, as mentioned, most of that team did. Christ we were shit.

Still, he did alright out of it financially and has apparently been sensible with his cash so fair play to him. A nice guy by all accounts.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
You to me are everything, the sweetest song that I can sing, O’Grady.
Every time he gets the ball you know he’s going to score a goal, O’Grady.
Ad infinitum away at Blackburn.

It’s not like we didn’t get behind him during his time with us, just a shame he wasn’t able to really step up to the mark. Lovely bloke, I imagine he was a great team member during that time, I wish him good luck.

BTW, you now should all have an earworm.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Two memorable matches involving COG for me: the cup game at Brentford when the massed away fans behind the goal were all singing "O'Grady scores: we're on the pitch", and the League Cup match (I think) at Walsall, when he had an absolute shocker. I discovered some way through the first half that his family were sat directly in front of me and it was just awful. He missed a penalty if I recall correctly, and I felt terrible for them. They must have known how badly he was playing, no matter how loyal to him they were. Can't be much fun watching that, nor hearing the inevitable crowd reaction to it. Which was more piss taking than out and out abuse to be honest, but that probably isn't much better!

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
Last 4 seasons:

17-18: 2 goals from 35 appearances for Chesterfield
16-17: 1 goal from 26 appearances for Burton
15-16: 2 goals from 24 appearances, 3 for us and 21 for Forest
14-15: 2 goals from 32 appearances, 28 for us and 4 for Sheffield Utd

To be honest, you'd think a striker of any sort would knock in a few more just from being at the right end of the pitch.

PS Seven yellows to go with his 7 goals.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Last 4 seasons:

17-18: 2 goals from 35 appearances for Chesterfield
16-17: 1 goal from 26 appearances for Burton
15-16: 2 goals from 24 apparances, 3 for us and 21 for Forest
14-15: 2 goals from 32 appearances, 28 for us and 4 for Sheffield Utd

To be honest, you'd think a striker of any sort would knock in a few more just from being at the right end of the pitch.

Chesterfield (that's non league Chesterfield) fans were saying he was abysmal last season, as those stats would appear to bear out. Feel sorry for him really. How crap to have even Chesterfield think you're useless.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Chesterfield (that's non league Chesterfield) fans were saying he was abysmal last season, as those stats would appear to bear out. Feel sorry for him really. How crap to have even Chesterfield think you're useless.
I never tend to feel TOO sorry for millionaire footballers though. Especially ones who have made their money while not actually being very good at playing football.

As I said, fair play to him, but he really has lucked out in his career compared to some.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here