Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] "Programmes have become bloated and outdated - it's time to change or go"

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
You don't have to buy one.

I don't think he's saying he does. He's putting it out there that maybe people would rather have a smaller production at a smaller cost. I for one agree with him. Programmes these days aren't far off what you'd have seen for an FA Cup final programme in the 80s. They are just bloated and pointless.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Maybe a digital programme wouldn't be a bad idea.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
You don't have to buy one.

True, but these magazines masquerading as programmes are all that is available. I have bought a programme at every match I have attended for 42 years but this season that stops. All I want is a slim memento of the day in the format of those produced in the '70s and '80s.Just a quick read at half time not a full blown magazine which is unnecessary in the age of the internet. [MENTION=189]Wozza[/MENTION] I wouldn't hold your breath. I 'asked the club' (and tried to engage with those involved in production of the programme on NSC) about this and didn't even get a response. I'm guessing we are in the minority.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Theyre just so GENERIC. Reckon the only people programmes really appeal to nowadays are football tourists or those of a trainspotter disposition. Certainly wouldn't buy an Albion programme unless it was as a gift for somebody else.

I happened to be Munich a year or two back when Bayern were due to play Barca in the CL semi-final. Went to the club shop to pick up a programme on the day of the match and they looked at me like I was daft. The best they could offer me, apologetically, was that month's club magazine. Sake! :lol:

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
All I am interested in is looking up details of opposition. Who signed from and other clubs played for etc. This information is so often lacking so no longer buy.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
A programme like we had for the Coventry cup game in February would be the one - cost £2.50, consisted of 35 pages rather than 100 and was easily folded in half to be put in my jeans pocket.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Might be worth rebooting the idea.

I'm guessing it didn't get much revenue first time around.

Something on paper for me. I want to read at half- and full-time when reception at the Amex is at its worst.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
I don't think he's saying he does. He's putting it out there that maybe people would rather have a smaller production at a smaller cost. I for one agree with him. Programmes these days aren't far off what you'd have seen for an FA Cup final programme in the 80s. They are just bloated and pointless.

Having only recently dug my 83 one out I can confirm that last seasons match day offering is actually bigger!!

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
BTW, the club could easily trial a cheap 'Matchday' edition (for £2/£2.50) alongside the 'Souvenir' edition (£3.50).

In fact, some avid collectors would have to buy BOTH.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Theyre just so GENERIC. Reckon the only people programmes really appeal to nowadays are football tourists or those of a trainspotter disposition. Certainly wouldn't buy an Albion programme unless it was as a gift for somebody else.

I happened to be Munich a year or two back when Bayern were due to play Barca in the CL semi-final. Went to the club shop to pick up a programme on the day of the match and they looked at me like I was daft. The best they could offer me, apologetically, was that month's club magazine. Sake! :lol:

I always buy one for my elderly neighbour who can't make it to games any more. He loves reading them.

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
Firstly, I think our programmes are very good. I buy one every game, as a point of reference in the future as a record of the games I've gone to. But quite often I never get round to reading them beyond a quick flick through on the way home.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Personally I'm not bothered with them as pretty much all the information is so readily available in digital formats on-line on so many websites etc.

If the club feel they can still generate income from them, then I have no problem in them carrying on. I suspect though that more and more people now look on-line for their footy info and the physical format is starting to look outdated and like it will fizzle out in years to come. Coupled with the cost of going to football being as expensive as it is for so many, avoiding physical programmes are just another way keeping my costs down on match day.

As I said, if the club generates profit to put back in the club then why not, but on a personal note I'd just like a printed squad sheet on going through the turnstiles like many clubs in Europe do.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here