Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] How many times does Solly March play well a season?

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Love Solly , but it would make sense for him to go to , say, a Derby, on loan until January

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Decent and good are two very different things.

And I'm not, you're just taking it that way. Neither was exceptional last season (arguably neither was good last season), but neither was awful either. Yet one is getting a lot of criticism and the other, bigger name player, is barely getting any despite getting substantially more starts in a consistent team line up in his preferred position. That's the point. If you wish to continue taking that as an insult towards AK rather than a defence for SM, then so be it.

Unfortunately I disagree again. Right now you are correct, there are no threads criticising AK... but there were plenty over the course of last season, many of them quite disparaging re. his petulance.

I also agree SM had a decent season getting used to the division, and I expect more from him in the future. I just disagreed with your assessment of AK so let's just leave it there.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Love Solly , but it would make sense for him to go to , say, a Derby, on loan until January

Not a bad shout. He must be, I think, our 4th.choice winger now (5th.if CH decides to use Locadia as a winger - and if he does we'll have spent £40M to get in wingers better than Solly!) so I don't think he'll get a lot of chances. If he does get a chance, then I reckon he's going to have to take it with both hands, and then some! Although a loan might be good for him, I doubt it will happen as he's an HGP.
Good luck to him - he's a very good footballer, but I think maybe he's at a crossroads in his career.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Not a bad shout. He must be, I think, our 4th.choice winger now (5th.if CH decides to use Locadia as a winger - and if he does we'll have spent £40M to get in wingers better than Solly!) so I don't think he'll get a lot of chances. If he does get a chance, then I reckon he's going to have to take it with both hands, and then some! Although a loan might be good for him, I doubt it will happen as he's an HGP.
Good luck to him - he's a very good footballer, but I think maybe he's at a crossroads in his career.

Really don't get this stuff about Solly, last season was his first in the Prem, Jamie Vardy was still playing non league at the same age. He is still 5 years from his prime and has gotten better every season since he made his breakthrough and is still on an upward trajectory. However Chris chooses to use him, he is a decent option that would cost us a fortune to replace.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Really don't get this stuff about Solly, last season was his first in the Prem, Jamie Vardy was still playing non league at the same age. He is still 5 years from his prime and has gotten better every season since he made his breakthrough and is still on an upward trajectory. However Chris chooses to use him, he is a decent option that would cost us a fortune to replace.
So you don't agree that he's probably our 4th. (or 5th.) choice winger t the moment? OK, who is? As for costing a fortune to replace, we've already spent £40M (or close on £30M if you don't include Locadia) buying other wingers, and I can't see us spending that much money if CH and the team didn't think they were better than what we've got.
There is no 'stuff' about March. I simply doubt if he'll get as much game time as last season, and if he does he will have to play out of his skin to stay ahead of Iranian Ali, Izzy, Knocky (and maybe Locadia) in the pecking order. Do you doubt that?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
So you don't agree that he's probably our 4th. (or 5th.) choice winger t the moment? OK, who is? As for costing a fortune to replace, we've already spent £40M (or close on £30M if you don't include Locadia) buying other wingers, and I can't see us spending that much money if CH and the team didn't think they were better than what we've got.
There is no 'stuff' about March. I simply doubt if he'll get as much game time as last season, and if he does he will have to play out of his skin to stay ahead of Iranian Ali, Izzy, Knocky (and maybe Locadia) in the pecking order. Do you doubt that?

It depends on how well they do their defensive work as well as attacking. It also depends on how well they play with their respective full back.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016

The stuff I don't get is people debating that Solly should be playing elsewhere, be that on loan or a permanent move away. From what I saw last season, Solly was not distinctly worse than either Jose or Knockaert who both ran hot and cold for periods. Alireza will be away on international duty for a portion of next season, and who knows how well he will adapt to the Premier League? Locadia has never been used by Chris as a winger, so I have discounted him entirely as a rival for Solly's position.

I did see an improvement in Solly's defensive work last season, and would not be surprised if develops from a winger into a wingback in the future, much like Antonio Valencia or Ashley Young.

For now he is doing well and we will need all of our wing options playing well to put pressure on the others.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Poor poor once again. Stealing a living with us at the moment.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
Poor poor once again. Stealing a living with us at the moment.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Utter bollocks! The whole team has played badly, Solly has been our only outlet although his final product has been poor so far at least he is getting the ball in threatening positions which is more than can be said for any of our other players today. Singling him out is pathetic.

Urchin

Aug 1, 2011
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;8561458 said:
Utter bollocks! The whole team has played badly, Solly has been our only outlet although his final product has been poor so far at least he is getting the ball in threatening positions which is more than can be said for any of our other players today. Singling him out is pathetic.

I couldn’t disagree with you more. Diabolical performance.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
A winger who seems incapable of putting in quality crosses is fecking frustrating at this level. Having said that the ball retention throughout the team was awful as was our ability to come away from 50/50s with the ball.

cheesy77

Feb 18, 2009
He was useless today. Gave it away so many times and has lost all confidence to take a man on, when he used to beat players for fun. Was set into space several times today with the chance to run at their defence but just looked clueless with what to do, so would slow it down and either pass backwards or lose it.

Hopefully he'll improve but wasn't great at the end of last season either

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

West Upper Seagull

Oct 31, 2003
Woodingdean
He was shocking today - looked like he didn’t want the ball half the time and when he got it he lost possession. He was a passenger and is not worthy of a starting place i’m afraid - nothing but a squad player and that’s not an opinion based just on today’s performance.

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
This was his opportunity to claim the left midfield spot but never looked like he realised this and was just going through the motions.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here