Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] Where would you live in Sussex?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
And Goring.

The elderly love both.

Agreed. We went for a drive over to the Bluebird cafe and Mrs TC said "do you wanna see the creepiest place in Sussex"? We drove through Ferring, and by George! The lass was right. Nobody around just endless square miles of characterless driveways and front lawns.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Agreed. We went for a drive over to the Bluebird cafe and Mrs TC said "do you wanna see the creepiest place in Sussex"? We drove through Ferring, and by George! The lass was right. Nobody around just endless square miles of characterless driveways and front lawns.

I had to kill time in those suburbs last year, on several visits to a car repair shop.

Dull identikit 1930’s/1950’s bungalows. A neat and tidy version of south Lancing.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Lots of amazing villages - Amberley, Ditchling, Firle, Glynde (tho the Trevor Arms would need to reopen!). But I've always fancied living in the Southover area of Lewes. Many reasons, including proximity to the Amex. It is, however, ridiculously expensive.

Last edited:

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
For the people living outside of Sussex, there is always going to be a bit of Sussex with them, whether it's memories or memrobelia. :)

Very true - been in New York for 10 years but have very fond memories of Shoreham, born there and lived not far from where Kit Napier used to live in digs on Old Shoreham Road. To me Shoreham had the best of everything; history, proximity to the South Downs and close to Brighton

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Greta scaatchi I think used to live in hurstpierpoint.

If I won enough I'd buy Clayton Priory just outside Burgess Hill. I would of course have additional properties, a flat in London near the river, on in Brighton, one in the Manchester (a base for the northern away trips and one overseas, probably Elounda in Crete. Otherwise I'll stay where I Am in Burgess Hill.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
I had to kill time in those suburbs last year, on several visits to a car repair shop.

Dull identikit 1930’s/1950’s bungalows. A neat and tidy version of south Lancing.

Another vote against Ferring, although in fairness it does seem to have some sort of community spirit and stuff going on (for those In a certain demographic). But as a place it has no character. As for Kingston Gorse down the road (home to the rich and occasionally famous) it is dull, dull, dull...……...makes Ferring look like downtown New York by comparison.

aberllefenni

Jan 15, 2009
Happy this side of Offa's Dyke, but I would look for a base in my old stomping ground of Southwick/Shoreham for easy access to the Amex. Imagine that, a Welsh person with a second home (shh, don't tell anyone).

bWize

Nov 6, 2007
Love the Bluebird Cafe in Ferring. So hard to find if you don’t know where it is. Right next to beaches that are relatively empty even at the height of season

It's amazing they have stayed in business for 20+ years considering how tucked away the cafe is. Great cafe though and a good family that own it.

Del Boy

Oct 1, 2004
A nice big pad at/off Hove Seafront with some kind of sea view, within walking distance of testaurahts and cafes and the sea.

Preston Park area, more realistic three bed house.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Love the Bluebird Cafe in Ferring. So hard to find if you don’t know where it is. Right next to beaches that are relatively empty even at the height of season

Still hard to find if you DO know where it is, and the potholes in the car park make it a danger to any vehicle not fitted with caterpillar tracks. But it’s worth the expedition. A friend nearly bought a house just the other side of Ferring Rife, but decided it was too remote.

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
A penthouse flat in Shoreham overlooking the Adur such as Ropetackle or the new flats going up along the coast road near Surry Street.

Both in the floodplain, so your expensive motor would get wet. Also, Shoreham has an odd microclimate because of teh river -a few degrees colder than east or west.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here