Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Tapping up of players

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
I've noticed with a number of Albion's signings over the last couple of years that in interviews, they have stated how they felt wanted by the club due to long-term (and consistent) interest from Albion. I have read (or heard) recently that Albion kept in touch with Alireza's "stable" on an almost weekly basis over the last three years.

When we were gazumped by Norwich City in the Pritchard affair a couple of years ago, Paul Barber stated at the fans' forum:-

...During a delay on the M25 another club jumped on the deal. Technically, according to the League’s regulations, you need permission to speak to a player who is contracted to another club. It’s not for me to say whether Norwich got that or not – they didn’t! – but these things happen in football and we’re not naïve enough to think they don’t.

So, my question is - have Albion simply accepted that in order to sign the quality of player we are now after, we have to swim with the sharks (as it were)? Are the club technically breaking football's regulations to make a player feel wanted? Or am I misinterpreting things?

I'm not looking to stir things up, but it does seem unlikely that we would have had permission from numerous clubs to have contact with their players months (and years) before we ever agreed a fee.

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
If we're talking to the club and not the player then it's not tapping up. The club is who we are allowed to make contact with.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I've noticed with a number of Albion's signings over the last couple of years that in interviews, they have stated how they felt wanted by the club due to long-term (and consistent) interest from Albion. I have read (or heard) recently that Albion kept in touch with Alireza's "stable" on an almost weekly basis over the last three years.

When we were gazumped by Norwich City in the Pritchard affair a couple of years ago, Paul Barber stated at the fans' forum:-

So, my question is - have Albion simply accepted that in order to sign the quality of player we are now after, we have to swim with the sharks (as it were)? Are the club technically breaking football's regulations to make a player feel wanted? Or am I misinterpreting things?

I'm not looking to stir things up, but it does seem unlikely that we would have had permission from numerous clubs to have contact with their players months (and years) before we ever agreed a fee.

I spotted that comment and had exactly the same reaction.

I have no clue what the answer to your questions are, but am intrigued.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
I’m guessing our keeping in touch wasn’t directly with the player but his agent/management team. Nothing wrong with inviting an agent and his guests to watch a game or two at the Amex and if one of those guests happens to be a potential transfer target, well maybe the agent should be more careful who is plus one is.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I’m guessing our keeping in touch wasn’t directly with the player but his agent/management team. Nothing wrong with inviting an agent and his guests to watch a game or two at the Amex and if one of those guests happens to be a potential transfer target, well maybe the agent should be more careful who is plus one is.

a game or two at the AMEX is rather different to almost weekly for three years...

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
IMO the way the club has been run from day one of the Amex adventure, every point of going after a player, would've been by the book.
Not stooping to the level of other corrupt club's.
With Paul Barber being involved you can assure they'll be no funny business.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
I guess it depends what you are talking to the player about.

"Come to us, here is the package we will offer, keep it on the down low though, k?" - Not acceptable.

"We really like you, we think you are a great player, we have a couple of spare seats at our next game if you'd like to come and watch us play?" - Probably not technically a breach of any rules.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
a game or two at the AMEX is rather different to almost weekly for three years...

All part of it though, weekly contact with the agent, not directly with the player, make sure the agent knows how interested we are, how we are keeping an eye on the players progress, when our scouts might be watching. Invite the agent over now and again to be our guest at a game or two. All above board as the player isn’t directly involved other than occasionally enjoying our hospitality through his agent. I doubt it happens with every transfer but in the Jahanbakhsh transfer he considers his agent to be his mentor, clearly a lot of trust between the two of them and our recruitment team were playing the long game.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
All part of it though, weekly contact with the agent, not directly with the player, make sure the agent knows how interested we are, how we are keeping an eye on the players progress, when our scouts might be watching. Invite the agent over now and again to be our guest at a game or two. All above board as the player isn’t directly involved other than occasionally enjoying our hospitality through his agent. I doubt it happens with every transfer but in the Jahanbakhsh transfer he considers his agent to be his mentor, clearly a lot of trust between the two of them and our recruitment team were playing the long game.

Yep - maybe that's all ok..I have no knowledge of this area. I was just a bit surprised when the agent/mentor said that we'd contacted them every week for 3 years...perhaps I shouldn't be.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
There is a difference in tracking a player and staying in touch and trying to unsettle them.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Poor palace they have to swoop in the final minutes of each window hoping the player doesn't get a chance to google them.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach

We were allowed to talk to Alireza 3 years ago before he moved elsewhere. Norwich contacted the agent prior to their bid.

If somebody says "love the place but not yet" then he's identified us as the next step of his development and no reason not to keep contact.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
In this case (Alireza) I think that The Albion knew that the player had a planned route to where he wanted to be and simply stayed in touch until he was ready. Not much wrong in showing a player that when he was ready to move on that there was a club who wanted him to join them. It certainly doesn't appear to have unsettled the top goal scorer in Holland last season. Great work by The Albion in my opinion.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Surely if Norwich had not got the clubs permission to talk the Pritchard then we would have taken them to court and had the FA throw the book at them. If we know they had tapped him up...why didn't we do this!?

Paul Barber, a few days later, spoke at the Supporters' Club AGM at which he said:-

[Norwich’s] approach was illegal – it wasn’t authorised by Tottenham – but that’s modern football. The temptation to go on the offensive publicly was huge, but it doesn’t get you anywhere. What’s the point of falling out with a club that you’ll probably do business with a few years later? Sometimes you have to bite your tongue and take a longer-term view on these things, however hard it is at the time.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
I think the representatives of one club, talking to the representatives of another clubs player is now accepted. What is not allowed is the manager of one club talking directly to the player of another club, like when Jurgen Klopp spoke directly with Virgil Van Dyke and Southampton threatened to report him, forcing Liverpool to back away from the deal (temporarily) and to make a public apology.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Surely if Norwich had not got the clubs permission to talk the Pritchard then we would have taken them to court and had the FA throw the book at them. If we know they had tapped him up...why didn't we do this!?

As I understood it, Norwich talked directly to the player, rather than ask Spurs if they could talk to him.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
This is what I don't understand. If Barber said this is what happened...the player said this happened...why did the FA not investigate the player, agent and club and throw the book at them?

I got the impression that Barber shrugged his shoulders as the FA usually do, in these situations. When did any club actually get a book thrown at them for anything?

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
This is what I don't understand. If Barber said this is what happened...the player said this happened...why did the FA not investigate the player, agent and club and throw the book at them?

As Spurs were happy to deal with Norwich , this indicates there was no aggrieved party thus no FA investigation.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here