Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Viniculture / Winemaking / Heatwave

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Sages of NSC

I've got a large vine in my garden. Last summer for the first time there appeared a clutch of small, sour grapes. I was fluffing around with the idea of doing something with them but then MBH Spawn#2 arrived and put paid to anything else.

This summer the vine has gone absolutely ****ing MENTAL and I have about a billion grapes coming. I'm presuming this is related to the heatwave. Am I also correct in assuming that the hotter drier weather makes the grapes themselves more suitable for wine making than before? Or is it dependent purely on the type of vine (I don't know what type it is).

Basically I'm going to be producing some proper hooch in a month or so and I want some advice from YOU LOT.

Yours as ever, etc

exKT17

Nov 27, 2016
Argyll & Bute
Your grapes last year were unripe, this year they are more likely to ripen successfully because of the sunshine and heat. To maximise the chances of this I would advise you to do a 'green harvest' as soon as possible, which is to pick off any small or weedy bunches so that the vine focuses its energy on ripening the better bunches of grapes. (I have also been watering my vine a little, might not be necessary in your case, I do not know.)

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Don’t forget to thin out the bunches of grapes - cut about a third from each one - this will allow the remaining grapes to swell and ripen.

Thanks - would you cut off the end, or take off individual clumps from within the bunch?

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Your grapes last year were unripe, this year they are more likely to ripen successfully because of the sunshine and heat. To maximise the chances of this I would advise you to do a 'green harvest' as soon as possible, which is to pick off any small or weedy bunches so that the vine focuses its energy on ripening the better bunches of grapes. (I have also been watering my vine a little, might not be necessary in your case, I do not know.)

Nice one - I'll do this tonight

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
I'm really looking forward to some great 2018 English wine. Best of luck with your home brew MBH.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Any idea if they will be red or white from last years effort? Not that it matters just interested.

When cutting I'd ensure to do at least the third mentioned. Then they will get more nutrients per bunch and reduce weight pressure. Pinch out some of the new shoots and make sure you have supported the vines as your grapes will be so BIG that the weight will put stress on the vine leading to breakage or droopping to the floor.

https://www.rhs.org.uk/Advice/profile?pid=284 Maybe see you tomorrow...

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Any idea if they will be red or white from last years effort? Not that it matters just interested.

When cutting I'd ensure to do at least the third mentioned. Then they will get more nutrients per bunch and reduce weight pressure. Pinch out some of the new shoots and make sure you have supported the vines as your grapes will be so BIG that the weight will put stress on the vine leading to breakage or droopping to the floor.

https://www.rhs.org.uk/Advice/profile?pid=284 Maybe see you tomorrow...

Cheers. They're definitely red, and already well supported over a very sturdy pergola of my own making. Have you ever grown any on your plot(s)?

I'm out on the bike tomorrow but might see you at Bex's thing if I'm back in time.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Cheers. They're definitely red, and already well supported over a very sturdy pergola of my own making. Have you ever grown any on your plot(s)?

I'm out on the bike tomorrow but might see you at Bex's thing if I'm back in time.

No someone has grown them for 15 years in a greenhouse and sometimes nearly gets something edible. I suppose it depends on variety of vine.
I was briefly seeing your cousin before his Norwegian venture. Must be his Mum's side going.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

Any idea of the variety? There are a few varieties that are best suited to UK conditions, and others just won't get enough sun (normally) to ripen.

As has been said, you need to keep the foliage under control, and thin out the grapes to concentrate the growth and sugar into the optimum number of grapes.

That's party why knowing the variety is important as different varieties are best suited to different prune / growing styles and also how many grapes you can hope to ripen per vine.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Any idea of the variety? There are a few varieties that are best suited to UK conditions, and others just won't get enough sun (normally) to ripen.

As has been said, you need to keep the foliage under control, and thin out the grapes to concentrate the growth and sugar into the optimum number of grapes.

That's party why knowing the variety is important as different varieties are best suited to different prune / growing styles and also how many grapes you can hope to ripen per vine.

Thanks I'll try and find out from the person who donated it to us. No idea at the moment, though it's by far my favourite plant in the garden.

MJsGhost

Remembers
NSC Patreon
Jun 26, 2009
East
Having moved to a house with an established vine 2 years ago, I was unprepared and RUBBISH at tending to it last summer, but here are the lessons I have learned (mostly covered already)

If mildew takes hold, you will lose the lot. To prevent this, keep the vine healthy and well watered - drought stress will leave it very susceptible. Keeping the air flowing by harshly trimming back unruly foliage helps to - it also lets the sun in to slow the mildew and ripen fruit. More gaps in foliage stops the mildew spreading too, a bit like a fire break.
Thinning out the bunches as mentioned a few times above is really important - this year I now have fewer bunches, but they are all looking great.

Now I just need to find the time to make some wine!

One of this weekend's jobs is to repair some of the wire supports as the sheer weight of the fruit has pulled one end of the vine away from the fence!

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley

I'll be very impressed if you get something drinkable in that case. I've tasted some disgusting English red wine even from the supposed top produces. Though this year could be different!

Craven Wine

Apr 29, 2012
This was last year's crop (or part of) 50+ litres of must and still to be tested. They're the Rondo variety, reminds me of Tempranilo. My 2015 vintage supply only recently ran out but was reasonably smooth and fruity, albeit a small amount of sugar was required in bringing it up to 12.5%. Store very well but on the acidic side when young. This year looks good for the fruit ripening off, if this sunshine keeps up for another couple of months..
7075bec9818230e402addba4ae305ac4.jpg
e5128ad2799f307b962aa0ad202df00a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here