Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Connor Goldson

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
We are linked with a player based on his good performances in Scotland - Cue "Yeah but even I would look good in the SPL. Pub league"

Our player moves to Scotland - "Look how well he is doing! Shows how good he is"

And that's nothing against CG btw. I wanted us to keep him.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Last night's Rangers match showing on Premier Sports now (Channel 127 on Virgin). Goldson looking good, and the commentators (yes, admittedly they're Scottish) are raving about him.
The goal was actually very good, BTW.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Not really. As far as I know Goldson didn't have a release clause (or if he did, the transfer wasn't triggered by it).

There we go then as to the fact someone decided to mention Gross, as I said his transfer bears no relevance to the Goldson one, and the fact he had a release clause proves that further.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
There we go then as to the fact someone decided to mention Gross, as I said his transfer bears no relevance to the Goldson one, and the fact he had a release clause proves that further.

I had no part in any comparison between Goldson and Gross. Not, and never was,interested in that debate. However, you stated, "No one knew quite how well Gross would do and maybe although £3m looks a bargain now maybe that was his market value last summer" and I pointed out that that was incorrect - it wasn't his market value; we got him well and truly on the cheap!

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
I had no part in any comparison between Goldson and Gross. Not, and never was,interested in that debate. However, you stated, "No one knew quite how well Gross would do and maybe although £3m looks a bargain now maybe that was his market value last summer" and I pointed out that that was incorrect - it wasn't his market value; we got him well and truly on the cheap!

Another case of hoovering up a gifted player from a relegated club with a relatively cheap clause.

Hopefully Andone will prove to be another example of taking advantage of a relegation release clause.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Another case of hoovering up a gifted player from a relegated club with a relatively cheap clause.

Hopefully Andone will prove to be another example of taking advantage of a relegation release clause.

Exactly. And picking up a second international CM from the World Cup finals on a free would be the icing on the cake!

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton

Notice you didn’t include the “maybe” in the bold which is what I said.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
We are linked with a player based on his good performances in Scotland - Cue "Yeah but even I would look good in the SPL. Pub league"

Our player moves to Scotland - "Look how well he is doing! Shows how good he is"
Yeah, but he also did well in Europe. And on top of that, he's stood out as their best player, but wasn't good enough to make our starting 11, which is different to us buying from Scotchland in the hope we've got a star.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Yesterday Rangers played Wigan and kept yet another clean sheet (it's becoming a habit up there!) - and put three past our young Christian in the Wigan goal. Plenty of praise for Goldson in the match reports (and his fellow CB Katic scored a goal) - but there's Stevie G. looking angry and saying it's obvious they desperately need another CB...........what gives?
You'd think he'd be purring with delight, like the fans are (apart from the few animals who gave football a bad name in Glasgow city centre).

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Yesterday Rangers played Wigan and kept yet another clean sheet (it's becoming a habit up there!) - and put three past our young Christian in the Wigan goal. Plenty of praise for Goldson in the match reports (and his fellow CB Katic scored a goal) - but there's Stevie G. looking angry and saying it's obvious they desperately need another CB...........what gives?
You'd think he'd be purring with delight, like the fans are (apart from the few animals who gave football a bad name in Glasgow city centre).

They lost 3 CB's this summer - Alves, Bates and Martin, and ManC's Kean turned down their loan offer.

As with the Albion, they need CB cover, in case the excellent Goldson or his CB partner get injured.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Plenty of praise for Goldson in the match reports (and his fellow CB Katic scored a goal) - but there's Stevie G. looking angry .

That's just his FACE. He always looks angry.

saying it's obvious they desperately need another CB...........what gives?

Back up.

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
They lost 3 CB's this summer - Alves, Bates and Martin, and ManC's Kean turned down their loan offer.

As with the Albion, they need CB cover, in case the excellent Goldson or his CB partner get injured.

One of their CBs is out for the season. Can't remember his name.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

And that's nothing against CG btw. I wanted us to keep him.

Same. And I'd have been staggered if he looked anything LESS than outstanding up there, with their cloggers and hoofball merchants. The fact is, players who are reasonable quality Championship fodder here (but not up to Premier League level) regularly go to Scotland and look like world beaters. Scott Sinclair. James Tavernier. Kris Commons- KRIS COMMONS! An average midfielder in a poor Nottingham Forest side who became a mainstay of the Celtic side for years, and scored a load of goals too I think. There's a reason Sinclair doesn't get near the England squad, and that's because booting a ball past the same befuddled Motherwell defender nineteen times a season doesn't really prepare you for international football.

Not saying Goldson won't get "spotted" by a PL side in years to come and purchased for a hefty fee (hope so, as I believe we'll get some of it), but for the time being, he's in the perfect place to impress the easily impressed (the Scots).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here