Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Have you been watering / sprinklering your garden?

Have you been watering / sprinklering your garden?

• Yes

Votes: 49 50.5%
  • No

Votes: 39 40.2%
  • Option 3

Votes: 9 9.3%

• Total voters

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Too right I've been watering.Severn Trent have spent an awful lot of money on up-dating and leak-proofing our water network,so no shortages at the moment.If advised to stop,then I would.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Have you been watering / sprinklering your garden?
Yes.
Not at all here - just doesn't feel the done thing when it's not rained for four centuries or so.
Well there's no hosepipe ban, and we're on a meter so we pay for each drop, so what's the problem?

No such thoughts from my neighbours though - most evenings I can hear their sprinkler doing its thang, dispersing water loveliness across their lawn and garden.
We've not watered the lawn, that's as brown as a stick. Just a few plants that need it.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Not I.

Grass always grows back eventually, and actually, its saved me MOWING it. I'd be mildly embarrassed if my garden looked like the 16th at Augusta, whilst all around me looked like an average night in Croydon after all the usual crews had been out once again with the black hoodies and the paraffin.

I only water the half dozen plants in pots on my patio and the tomatoes and chillies in the greenhouse. The rest I leave.

jasetheace

Apr 13, 2011
Not at all here - just doesn't feel the done thing when it's not rained for four centuries or so.

No such thoughts from my neighbours though - most evenings I can hear their sprinkler doing its thang, dispersing water loveliness across their lawn and garden.

What are you up to?

No. The missus is a gardener for a living but will not countenance watering of grass at times like this. Grass is hardy. It will come back.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
We're lucky enough in the Rockery to use the Wellsbourne that runs under Preston Park. Beds and borders are suffering so watering those and fairly young trees but grass will come back.

We had 3 very dry summers in a row back in the 2000's, I can remember we were all talking about changing our planting ideas to go more 'Mediterranean'

As mentioned, Resevoirs are very full at the moment so hopefully no hosepipe ban yet.

This is probably a stupid question, but I don't care, there's always a weird puddle North of the tennis courts, is it because there's water under the park?

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
We were away at the start of the heatwave.

I told the lodger that if he watered the pots he could have any strawberries that grew.

I can only imagine that he doesn’t like strawberries as he didn’t water them once in the three weeks we were away.

After a week of watering, two of the pots are clearly completely dead, but one pot of strawberries and the roses and herbs have recovered.

The lawn is beautifully dormant and brown. All the time I don’t have to mow it, I’m happy.

I’ve given up on the allotment, though. Just going to start clearing it for next year once the temperatures are bearable.

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
This is probably a stupid question, but I don't care, there's always a weird puddle North of the tennis courts, is it because there's water under the park?

No such thing as a stupid question mate. Not sure where you mean with regards to the puddle. I know there's one at the northern entrance to the rose garden.

There are various irrigation points all over the park and many haven't been touched for years and the grass has now grown over them so it might be a slight leak from one of those. The irrigation points are again, from the underground river so no mains water is ever used.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
No such thing as a stupid question mate. Not sure where you mean with regards to the puddle. I know there's one at the northern entrance to the rose garden.

There are various irrigation points all over the park and many haven't been touched for years and the grass has now grown over them so it might be a slight leak from one of those. The irrigation points are again, from the underground river so no mains water is ever used.

thanks, that's really interesting and good to know. I meant SOUTH of the tennis courts btw ... brain's fried :)

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
I throw the washing up water on my roses, as they quite like Fairy liquid.

Yes, a little known fact that washing up liquid [not just Fairy] helps the soil retain moisture in the same way that other [professional] wetting agents do.

At the start of the drought [up here in the heart of England] I did water in washing up liquid and sprinkle every other day but it was a losing battle so haven't watered the grass for about 4 weeks now and its as dry and brown as a Camel's ar$e.

I've heard there is supposed to be a hosepipe ban coming in to force on 3rd August .... [up here]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here