Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Have you been watering / sprinklering your garden?

Have you been watering / sprinklering your garden?

• Yes

Votes: 49 50.5%
  • No

Votes: 39 40.2%
  • Option 3

Votes: 9 9.3%

• Total voters

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Still got a bit in the water butt, stuff the grass though just been hitting the stuff that looks stressed and the stuff in pots. Got Solar panels so the tumbledryer runs for free, and I use the condensed water for topping up the rain butt. Also take a pee in the garden if I have been on the beer, saves water on the flush and its good for the plants if it is pale.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I have a very small garden with luckily no grass, but big raised beds and cucumbers, chillies and tomatoes.

Tons of things in pots, plus a few "exotic plants" like a bottle brush, tea tree oil plant and loads of Thai Basil.

Luckily I rigged up automatic irrigation years ago. Only use on holiday usually, but it's great this time of year.

Detects when the sun comes up (or down) and waters on a timer. Brilliant when you are holiday. I'm going to rig up a mates garden in the next few weeks.

If anyone wants to do the same, don't waste money at B&Q - its miles cheaper on line. A couple of AA batteries will keep your garden watered for a couple of weeks.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I don't have a garden but the house plants are doing great!

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

VAL1850

Nov 22, 2008
Beachy Head & WSU
No , lawn lovely and brown, it grows back quickly, hovered it with mower last weekend. Getting to last of stored water for essential plants now, washing up water chucked on plants

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
According to a lawn expert on TV yesterday a sprinkler does nothing to the lawn as grass grows green from the roots so the only way to do it is to spike the law to make holes for the water to get through and flood it preferably with waste water like bath water etc.

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
Not at all here - just doesn't feel the done thing when it's not rained for four centuries or so.

No such thoughts from my neighbours though - most evenings I can hear their sprinkler doing its thang, dispersing water loveliness across their lawn and garden.

What are you up to?

I was busting a gut to pick you up on "sprinklering" but,dammit, it's a proper word.By the way, my lawn is mullered, no sprinklering here.:bowdown:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Yes, using large watering cans on pots/containers and on a long wildlife hedge planted in Feb 17. The hedge would have needed some irrigation in the first two summers anyway, but the drought was visibly killing off some species (Hazel, Dogwood, Field Maple).

But I haven't used the hose or sprinkler. One lawn is looking in a really bad way, but will hopefully recover come autumn.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Yes, a bit. We had some new turf put down in a couple of places and it doesn't look too clever so I bought one of those whirly sprinkler things at the weekend.

The turf still looks shit though.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Yes, I have. Flowers and vegetables mainly, but I've given the lawn a bit of help too. Hose-pipe ban - yes, of course I'd conform to it; no hose-pipe ban - it's up to the water suppliers to impose one.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
No - it'll come back eventually.

No such qualms for the fella a few houses away; his garden looks like the front of the Bellagio in Las Vagas most evenings and he presents the national weather forecast at the end of the BBC 10 o'clock news .... :nono:

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
No. The reservoirs are running low, the grass can wait for the rain.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Watering can on the 5 big pots. Commando course to get to them owing to building site out back.

It was 30 degrees in Faversham this evening at quarter to eight. FFS.

Hi. Did you live in Faversham in 2003, when the UK's highest temp was recorded?

IMG_2747.PNG

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Had to do some work on the pond and filter. Usually send dirty water down the drain but today we set up the pump to send the water all over the garden. From there we would refill the pond with tap water ( via other filters) but today we left the pond half empty hoping the 'rain' due this weekend will fill up not only the pond but the three rain barrels which have been emptied.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The noisy b’stard baby seagull that has grown up on the roof of the house opposite is THRIVING. And waking me up just as I drop off due to the temperature becoming bearable. FFS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you blaming ME ?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
havent seen any sprinkerlers round here and only one green lawn, which to be fair was laid in the spring so probably watering while it beds in.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Hi. Did you live in Faversham in 2003, when the UK's highest temp was recorded?

View attachment 99197

Yes I did. But I spent the weekend up north. I remember driving round the M25 with the temperature down to a balmy 37 degrees.

I am pretty sure Faversham is the hottest place in the UK, and that my patio is the hottest place in Faversham. Brogdale, where they do the recording, is up the hill....

:cool:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here