Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Dare we dream.......

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Survival and finishing above Palace are the dreams. Both are on. Good list earlier on the thread of the strugglers. I’m expecting the relegation battle will involve Cardiff, Huddersfield, Newcastle (especially if they get a bad start and Rafa goes), Watford, Burnley (no squad depth and lots of games at least at the time of writing) and one more surprise team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Picking three that we will comfirtably finish above is... well... implausible and impossible. I’d like to think we’d be better than Cardiff and after that it’s anyone’s guess who will go down

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
The key to our success this season has to be an improvement in gaining points away from home. If we repeat last season where we were the lowest goal scorers away and had the fewest points then it is going to be difficult.
However if the new players live up to expectations then we should be able to score more frequently we just need to ensure we turn the extra goals into points.
Exciting times

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
At some point we will hear the well worn sentences:
“Are they too good to go down?” and
“They have bought a lot of new players, they haven’t managed to gel them together”, and lastly
“They owe it to their manager to stick with him, even if they go down.”.

We’ve just got to hope that none of those are about us.

GloryDays

Jul 5, 2011
Leyton, E10.
Fulham signing Seri and Schurrle
Wolves going Bananas
West Ham can’t be as bad as last season - 6 points again?
Saints surely can’t be as bad?
Palace won’t start as badly as last season

on the flip side

Cardiff - unknown
Burnley with possible Europa league
Watford...
Newcastle have a tough start
Hudds...
Bournemouth...

Going to be a hard season, enjoy the ride, we don’t have the easiest of starts... first game v Watford is a BIG one. Need to avoid defeat.

I have a funny feeling you can add Leicester to that list as well.

We’ll be in the mix I’m sure. Wouldn’t be right otherwise.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
There isn't much between 8th and 18th. A few lucky decisions can make a huge difference. We have identified our positions where we didn't have 2 competitive players and have signed very well. I'd like to see us have less draws, score more away from home and finish above Palace.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
He's not admitted it, but then he's also not denied it either, so I'm pretty sure he is using Football Manager.

I thought all the cool kids used FIFA Ultimate Team to work out how good a player is now?

At some point we will hear the well worn sentences:
“Are they too good to go down?” and
“They have bought a lot of new players, they haven’t managed to gel them together”, and lastly
“They owe it to their manager to stick with him, even if they go down.”.

We’ve just got to hope that none of those are about us.

You've forgotten Paul Merson and "I've not heard of any of the players they've bought in, they can't be any good".

On a serious note, I feel we are weaker on our options in goal this season, missing Maty Ryan for the whole of January could be a key moment for us. Alireza Jahanbakhsh will also be at the Asian Cup so could miss quite a few games at the same time.

However across the rest of the squad we appear to have strengthened and given real options for most positions. It will be how quickly the new players can bed into the squad, we had a great season avoiding injury to most key players and relatively few suspensions, will we be able to repeat that? We've got a very tough start to the season, facing 4 of the top 6 in our first seven games, so could easily let our heads drop if we suffer a few early defeats. On the flip side we've got a good chance to catch those sides before they a fully up to speed and get a morale boosting unexpected win or two.

Its going to be tight, it always is, but I feel positive we can improve on last season. It should be another exciting season whatever happens.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
The fixtures always look a bit daunting before the season starts, but every year a couple of clubs have a bit of a meltdown. We’ve added depth to the squad, I feel like we can cover injuries, I think we’ll be alright again.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
I have seen bookmakers making Wolves 8th in the betting to win the league.

Absolutely absurd, they'll do well to avoid the bottom 5. Most of their signings are just making permanent the Championship dross they had last season plus they've added an experienced Portugese midfielder and goalkeeper (and Portugal were they usual humdrum selves at the WC less one superstar).

As for us, I really think we can do something special this season, so much so I've whacked a monkey on us finishing top half, would be lovely to get a decent cup run as well. Only issue Hughton will have is keeping everyone happy.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
There's little doubt we will go into the season with a stronger squad than last season, both in absolute terms and relative to most other PL teams. We also have the benefit of experience of last year, particularly more self-belief against the top teams following the 7 points picked up against ManU, Arsenal and Spurs.

It would not surprise me, however, to see very few or none of the new signings in the starting XI against Watford. The Hughton way is evolution not revolution and I expect us to play the same solid, hard-working way again. The players who did so well last year have earned the right to be the basis for further progress. They in turn should be motivated by the quality of the influx, knowing that if they don't deliver then they will be replaced.

What we should have now is a much stronger 18 (indeed, 25), with options from the bench, particularly goal-scoring ones and the ability to contribute goals from a bigger set of positions. In time, those new players who demonstrate they can play the Albion way should have enough quality to secure regular starting berths. We also now have reduced risk against injuries, particularly in centre-mid and up front.

With the spending and confidence of the end to last season comes increased expectation. It is inevitable that when we hit bumps in the road, some fans will over-react and jerk the knee irrationally. I'd like to think that as a group, though, we can continue to evolve with the team and show faith in them and the management whilst keeping the joy and passion that characterised so many of last year's highlights.

PG

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Would be over the moon with something around 13/14th, but staying up again is the target.

I'm not sure we should be thinking of relegation and the coverted 17th place.
Totally agree that 11th to 14th is the end goal but don't believe us fans should be looking up to that, if you get my drift!

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Goals, goals, goals.
Can we get our new unknown quantities up front scoring sufficient goals, backed up by the midfield chipping in regularly and hopefully, a few from the two 'D's at the back?
I think we've got to aim higher than last year and I am sure that is in the thoughts of the Board and CH.
I am sure all concerned have learned a hell of a lot from the highs and lows of last season, now let us put it into practice.:)

Last edited:

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
At a guess, there might be some serious software in use, your purchases are pretty much under the radar of the British Media, yet mostly they’ve matched or exceeded expectations.

The gambling that accrues most of his money is more like investments than a wing & a prayer type stuff. There will be some serious statistics being crucnhed then some serious maths done to work out probabilities. Pretty sure they'll have a whole raft of actuaries working on it.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
As things stand we are still 4th favourites with the bookies for relegation.

Cardiff - 4/5
Huddersfield - 5/4
Fulham - 19/10
Brighton - 9/4
Watford - 5/2
Burnley - 4/1
Bournemouth - 11/2
Palace + Newcastle 6/1

Leicester are 16/1 which looks massive to me for a club that has lost its best player

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Most people seem to assume Wolves will be great but there are plenty of examples over the years of teams bringing in random assortments of big names and flopping. Chemistry is important - don't get that and it could be trouble. How many strikers have Massive hoarded over the years?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I have seen bookmakers making Wolves 8th in the betting to win the league.
Absolutely no value there. They will be too good to go down, but like any team that spends a fortune on new signings we simply have no idea how well their players will gel.

I actually suspect we'll finish above them, and so will Bournemouth incidentally have pluckily jizzed more millions on team strengthening. Fair play to them for that though, you always have to look to reinforce your squad.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
As things stand we are still 4th favourites with the bookies for relegation.

Cardiff - 4/5
Huddersfield - 5/4
Fulham - 19/10
Brighton - 9/4
Watford - 5/2
Burnley - 4/1
Bournemouth - 11/2
Palace + Newcastle 6/1

Leicester are 16/1 which looks massive to me for a club that has lost its best player
Agreed, that is a great value bet on Leicester going down, as much as it does seem unlikely. Palace and Newcastle also look good value to me. There is no value in Albion going down though. I'm not saying we won't, but we've spent a fortune and crucially, in all the right places in the squad. This team could just as easily finish in the top half as go down, IMO.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here