Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] What would be your starting 11 v Watford (opening game)

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
I'd be amazed if, fitness permitting, more than 1 newbie starts, that's just not CH's way.

The back 10 picks itself I'd imagine Andone is now 'a little behind' (code for dead) meaning Locadia might actually get the start.

Still not sure why you say this SB. Not sure he has a way. 5 players made their debut v Man City last season. (Yep - some of these were enforced - Injuries etc)

But most big signings under Hughton (Knockaert, Murray, Duffy, Kayal, Hemed, and Ryan, Propper, Gross have gone straight in and stayed there.
Scheletto , Izquierdo had longer to wait last season to be first choice (is that what you mean ? ) whereas Locadia/Ulloa ended up being back ups to a resurgent Murray - although both were given chances.

What is the way ? Hughton will have no issues picking Bissouma, Alireza, Bernardo, Andone over Bong, AK , Glenn and Stephens/Propper if he thinks they’re good enough, fit. Which means Watford. There could well be 4 debuts.

Anyway we will know v Nantes cos he normally has a stab at his oreferrred 11 in that game.

And blimey - what a problem ?

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
Had this very conversation yesterday.

I have a sneaky suspicion that the only new boy we will see starting will be Bernardo.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Locadia is rubbish
So you have said, ad nauseam, before during and after his signing.

I'm sure, in the forthcoming season, you'll take great delight in your special kind of support whenever Locadia is at fault while omitting to notice any upturn in form from his lacklustre start.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Ryan
Bruno
Balogun
Dunk
Bernado

Knockaert
Stephens
Propper
Ali

Gross
Murray

Subs - Button, Duffy, Schelotto, Bissouma, Izquierdo, kayal, Hemed

Assumptions:
Andone lacking match practice.
Duffy / Locadia struggling with fitness

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Apart from keepers new players in because manager considers they are an improvement. Unless Knockhaert shows great improvement he wont play much. Appreciate defends well but have to offer more then going down line and crossing in premier league. Days of him going on outside and getting in box seem to have gone.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Factors to consider: injuries/fitness levels following World Cup. Who has had a good pre-season. Who will work well together.

Ryan
Bruno, Dunk, Duffy, Bernardo
Knockaert, Stephens, Propper, Izquierdo or March if not fit
Gross
Hemed

Bruno & Knockeart will be solid defensively. Knockaert & Izquierdo will provide the pace. Hemed has had the best pre-season and confidence plays a lot in a strikers mind. Andone, Locadia don't seem up to speed and no need to rush them into the side as a few bad games may be costly for the season ahead

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Knowing Hewoughton , I don’t think it’ll be far off last seasons team .

I doubt he’ll throw in too many new boys to an away trip . He’ll go with what he trusts .

Unless one of the new singings really rips it up in Pre season

Absolutely this the team that kept up last season earns the right to start this season it's up to the new players to force their way in

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Apart from keepers new players in because manager considers they are an improvement. Unless Knockhaert shows great improvement he wont play much. Appreciate defends well but have to offer more then going down line and crossing in premier league. Days of him going on outside and getting in box seem to have gone.

What you mean gone since... our last home game of the season?

Yea you're right that's like feckin 3 months ago.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
A lot on here picking Andone over Murray despite I'm guessing having never actually seen the bloke play..........

Oh come on, he scored six or so goals in Spain last season, he must be amazing

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Shame you missed the Man U game when he left two international defenders totally flummoxed.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Personally feel these are guaranteed starters if fit for the first game-

Ryan
Dunk
Duffy
Bernardo
Stephens
Propper
Gross
Murray

But . . . .if we play with those we'd be horribly outnumbered and would most certainly lose!

But with another three, yes, that would be my starting line up too.

(sorry, still feeling a bit giddy after the excitement of the last few days :lolol::thumbsup:)

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Ryan

Schelotto, Dunk, Duffy, Bernardo

Jahanbakhsh, Stephens, Bissouma, Izquierdo

Gross

Andone

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Why spend all that money on players that manager thinks will improve us and then keep same team

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Why spend all that money on players that manager thinks will improve us and then keep same team

Quite odd that you don't seem to know how our manager works.

Considering you are taking a dig at AK who had such a great end to the season, you either don't watch us very often or enjoy irrational thought.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
Can you imagine the potential bench we will be able to name?
This is where it becomes truly mental.

Scoreless after an hour at Watford and you bring on two wingers with a point to prove, and a midfielder like Bissouma or Gross, or a forward like Murray or Andone.

If we're not careful we're going to start flirting with mid-table stability. How boring will that be?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Because it's what we do. We didn't have any choice but to throw Gros, Propper, Ryan and Suttner in at the deep end against Manchester City, but that was an exception.
Schelotto - had to wait;
Izzy - had to wait;
Locadia - had to wait.
That's our two record signings of all time up to then left to wait to get a place in the team. My guess is that Balogun, Bernado, Jahanbaksh, Bissouma and co. are all likely to have to wait their turn too.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Lot of people writing off Knockaert but his defensive play was a major contribution in the second half of last season.

I would hazard a guess that Bruno will be the right back if we play four at the back (based on where we left off from last season) in which case Knockaert will play.

Also think Murray will get front line on basis of last season and that he is probably more up to speed than the others.

Agree with this. Knocky works incredibly hard to protect the full back.
I think some people make the assumption that he's lazy because he's such a flair player and a can be a loose cannon, but if you just watch him for 10 minutes you see how hard he works for the team

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Ryan;
Schelotto, Dunk, Duffy, Bernardo;
Jahanbakhsh, Stephens, Propper, Izquierdo;
Gross;
Andone.

I'd go with that team. If Jahanbakhsh is a bit off the pace, it is an easy change to bring on Knockaert. Similarly Murray could replace Andone. It always seems a bigger risk if you bring new players into central midfield or central defence too soon and I'd bring the new players in those positions more gradually.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here