Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] What would be your starting 11 v Watford (opening game)

IranianDude

Jul 25, 2018
Copenhagen, Denmark
Bruno (he doesn't use the 'Saltor' part) is our club captain. His level of technical ability is astonishing, as is his fitness level, given he is almost 38 years old. When he's fully fit, he'll play. Not only is he a better fullback than Schelotto, but the right winger (Knockaert especially) tends to link better with him.

Locadia arrived from the Eredivisie for a lot of money, but has done nothing so far, and couldn't get a game last season ahead of Glenn Murray (the 'tall bald bloke' who scored the header against Arsenal). Because of the way we play, with only one CF, the role involves protecting the ball, and bringing the wide players into play. Locadia, so far, doesn't look to be very good at that.

Pascal Gros is a genius - he has limited pace, but still manages to look like he has loads of time on the ball. His delivery is as good as any in the division. If he WAS quick too, he wouldn't be playing for Brighton. I wouldn't really single him (or Izquierdo) out as 'the stars' though. The Albion team is not about individual stars. It is about hard work for each other, and knowing your role in the team really, really well. So I won't call them the 'stars' but our most important players are actually (local lad) Lewis Dunk, and CM Dale Stephens.

37-38 sounds really old for a right back. Looking forward to see him play and hope he can have a good partnership with Ali.

So we can expect Murray to start the session. Sounds logical to have a "tall bald bloke" to bounce the balls of when having wingers who can cut in and score goals as well as the Gros guy who seem to have a good finishing skill as the main set peace taker.
Looking forward to the first game! Thanks for your feedback!

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Propper looks to be in real danger of losing his place as does Bong , i reckon Muzza will start v Watford but we have to get our midfield closer to him so from the brief Bissouma showing v Brum he must be in Hughtons plans for a start , scratching heads about whos going to start must be a good thing for us , i remember 2014-15 season at home v Sheff weds with just Fenelon up front on his own ! I'm probably going to be very wrong but i don't think we've seen the last of Suttner just yet , no point in paying zillions for players and leaving them on the bench so go for it , my starting 11 and bench for Watford would be

Ryan
Bruno
Duffy
Dunk
Bernado
Gross
Knockaert
Stephens
Bissouma
Jahanbakhsh
Muzza

Subs Button Balogun Andone Propper Izquierdo Locadia Bong

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Ryan
Bruno, Dunk, Duffy/Balogun*, Bernardo
Stephens, Propper
Knockaert, Gross, Izqueirdo
Murray​

* depending on Duffy's fitness

Subs: Button, Duffy/Balogun, Bong, Bissouma, Jahanbakhsh, Locadia, Andone

I think it will be this, probably with Duffy starting, and it might be the case that March starts giving Izquierdo some respite before the season kicks in.
That said, I think we might see Andone start away games instead of Murray, but his lack of action might prevent a start against Watford.
Expect Bissouma and Jahanbakhsh to be pushing for a starting place within the first few games.
Finally we have a tough start to the season and Watford represents one of the best opportunities to pick up points, so that may also influence the selection

persian_pooya

Jul 23, 2018
Atlanta, GA, USA
Who I would start against Watford::

Ryan

Bruno
Dunk
Duffy
Bernardo

Knockaert
Bissouma
Pröpper
Jahanbakhsh

Groß

Murray

Who I believe will start:

Ryan

Bruno
Dunk
Duffy
Bernardo

Knockaert
Stephens
Pröpper
March

Groß

Murray (If injured then Hemed)

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Who I believe will start:

Ryan

Bruno
Dunk
Duffy
Bernardo

Knockaert
Stephens
Pröpper
March

Groß

Murray (If injured then Hemed)

I'd be surprised if this wasn't the team.

It's a little disappointing that after signing so many players we are effectively starting with last years team - a team that really struggled away from home. The positives are on the bench which will be stronger than at any point last season with the likes of Balogun, Bissouma, Ali J, Locadia, Kayal and Hemed all offering either straight cover or something different.

Fingers crossed we enjoy the rare sight of an Albion away goal and the even rarer sight of an Albion away win.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
Last season we played two central midfielders and a true no10 in Gross. I think for certain away games this season we will play one holding midfielder (probably Stephens) and two in front of him, Propper and Bissouma.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Ryan

Bruno
Dunk
Duffy
Bernardo

Knockaert
Stephens
Bissouma
Pröpper
Groß

Murray

( Button, Bong, Balogun, Kayal, Hemed, Locadia, Jahanbakhsh )

Cozzy

Jul 26, 2018
Grimsby
suspect it will be the usual faces to start but can imagine a tactical formation change during the game

4-4-1-1

Ryan
Bruno - Duffy - Dunk - Bong
Knockaert - Stephens - Propper - March
Gross
Locadia

changing too

4-1-4-1

Ryan
Bruno - Duffy - Dunk - Bong
Stephens
Jahanbakhsh - Bissouma - Propper - Knockaert
Murray

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
I would like to see Locadia start. It would be nice to show some faith in him and see him have a run in his right position. Seems to get an odd amount of unfounded stick on here imo. Can't wait to see what Bissouma can do. Knockaert seems to be flying. Even more exciting than last season.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
I'd be surprised if this wasn't the team.

It's a little disappointing that after signing so many players we are effectively starting with last years team - a team that really struggled away from home. The positives are on the bench which will be stronger than at any point last season with the likes of Balogun, Bissouma, Ali J, Locadia, Kayal and Hemed all offering either straight cover or something different.

Fingers crossed we enjoy the rare sight of an Albion away goal and the even rarer sight of an Albion away win.

Exactly what I was thinking. Believe we need to give the newbies starts very early into the season. Coming into a struggling team is always difficult

Langley

Mar 10, 2008
Waltham Chase, Hants
The gaffer's got a tough job now. Quality options in all positions (except 'keeper) with surely a CB to still come in. You could pick ten options for a starting line-up and still not get close. What a great problem to have.

I am just relieved that, bar one, everybody has us playing a solid back four.

I don't have room for another "three at the back" nightmare; the Chelsea one is still keeping me going.

(Except Keeper) !!! What you are implying is that Ben Roberts who would have a big say in their signings, does not know what he is doing. You are a better judge. I have every confidence in both of them stepping up.

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester
Ryan

Bernado
Dunk
Duffy
Bruno

Knockeart
Stephens
Propper
March
Gross

Hemed (because Murray is not 100% i don't think)

Subs: Button, Bong, Schelotto, Balogun, Bissouma, Jakanbawotsisname, Murray

heathgate

NSC Patreon
Apr 13, 2015
Ryan

Bernado
Dunk
Duffy
Bruno

Knockeart
Stephens
Propper
March
Gross

Hemed (because Murray is not 100% i don't think)

Subs: Button, Bong, Schelotto, Balogun, Bissouma, Jakanbawotsisname, Murray
March showed against Nantes that he hasn't got the appetite or ability to compete at this level.... I think a change is needed, other wise that lineup may be close,...

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester
March showed against Nantes that he hasn't got the appetite or ability to compete at this level.... I think a change is needed, other wise that lineup may be close,...

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I don't disagree with you, but Houghton has faith in him and obviously sees something we don't. I think it's probably that he is trustworthy when it comes to his defensive duties and we know how much important that is to CH. Hence why i think in the first game of the season, away from home, he's going to go with a team he trusts to defend.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
We’re probably not going to see too many of our new signings today but I’ve managed to fit in 3 below.

Ryan

Montoya
Dunk
Duffy
Bernardo

Knockaert
Stephens
Pröpper
Jahanbakhsh

Groß

Locadia

(Button, Kayal, Balogun, Bruno, March, Bissouma, Murray)

March for Groß would give us more pace in the 2nd half which is what we’ll need if we’re 0-1 up playing on the break.

This could be Locadia’s day today!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here