Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[NSC] Bury St Edmunds

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Any recommendations on things to do in Bury St Edmunds? Staying over there Friday and Saturday with our good friends Polly and Giles with Polly sister Penny coming along too.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
There are a couple of half decent things to do there and around there, but then I saw who the OP is... :wink:

-gully-

The Flux Capacitor
Nov 7, 2009
Shrewsbury
Abbey gardens are ok and the cathedral. A few nice golf courses around there too. The sugar factory smell sets the tone for the place quite well though. It’s like being trapped inside a fart.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
No spent 18 months based at RAF Honington and I can confirm there is absolutely nothing to do in Bury, just go home.

However might be an idea to have a look around for Ali J incase he sneaks into one of the airfields around there.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
Make your Own Gin at Bury!

Did you know you can learn how to make your own gin using our mini-copper pot stills at our store? You will learn about gin from one of our Gin Makers, and you'll be able to choose your own special blend of botanicals provided to create your own bottle! Sessions last for 2 hours and cost £95 per person. You'll be able to take your bottle home with you at the end of the day! You can book your experience online, pop into the store, or call 01502 727225.

.......and that's it

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Any recommendations on things to do in Bury St Edmunds? Staying over there Friday and Saturday with our good friends Polly and Giles with Polly sister Penny coming along too.

Bollox....

You ain't got any friends never mind one's called Polly, Giles or Penny...

You just don't wanna start a thread about holiday's for singles

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
No spent 18 months based at RAF Honington and I can confirm there is absolutely nothing to do in Bury, just go home.

However might be an idea to have a look around for Ali J incase he sneaks into one of the airfields around there.

Regiment?

the slow norris

Feb 8, 2005
Suffolk

I live in Bury St Eds, having 2 small kids I can't advise on having a teeming social life but can give a run down of places to eat/drink and activities (some of which have already been mentioned):

Food and drink:
Pea porridge http://peaporridge.co.uk/ - lovely little relaxed restaurant which serves the best steak I have ever had (and have had 5 times), great for an evening meal.
Gastrono-me https://www.gastrono-me.co.uk/ - recently expanded from a deli-cafe and serves a great breakfast & brunch (in fact I was in there having huevos rancheros yesterday
1921 http://nineteen-twentyone.co.uk/ - a more refined restaurant for dinner than pea porridge but the food is great, just a more formal atmosphere.
Valley Connection http://www.valley-connection.com/ - a great curry house, if you like it hot go for the goan king prawn starter, the place has won awards but it's not pretentious at all
Patisserie Valerie - yes, a chain but this one still serves the sausage rolls from barwells which used to occupy the shop, and they are delicious!
Old Cannon Brewery - opposite pea porridge, bury's very own micro brewery, but serves great wines/spirits too
Angel hotel & Northgate Hotel - both are good for cocktails
Pubs - there are tonnes of pubs in town, my favourite is probably the mason's arms but be warned, there is not much variety as they are predominantly Greene King pubs (except the Dove on Hospital rd, which is supposed to be a good freehouse).

Where to go:
Town centre/angel hill/cathedral - its the old medieval part of town (wonky houses/cobbled streets etc) pretty to look at at the moment as the floral displays are all surviving this heat.
Ickworth - stunnning NT estate 2 miles out of town but once you're there its very peaceful.
A bit further is High Lodge, a forestry commission property with a go ape course and loads of waling/clycling tracks.
Long Melford/Lavenham - 2 olde worlde towns - Long melford is renowned for antiques, and lavenham = cream tea central.

This is just a top of the head starter, if there are specifics then just let me knwo, but enjoy (ps dont bother packing for rain, it hasn't rained in Bury since April).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here