Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Where in the league will we finish?

Where will we finish? The 2018/2019 edition

• Total voters

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Sure, that's a good point. But our team was far more settled going into last season and our core was pretty much the same as the Championship season before. Duffy, Dunk, Bruno, Stephens, Hemed was our core at the start of last season. We had added Ryan, Suttner, Propper and Gross to the side but this season I think our starting line up at Watford is going to be very different. I think it's going to take some time to settle the team down and to find the groove that we fell into last season.

I see this season being harder than last season because we have a number of unproven players. Hopefully they all perform, but inevitably a few of them won't.

Nonsense. Our starting line up will be virtually like last season. Most of our new recruits will be on the bench or simply in the 25 man squad.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
It all depends on whether we can stop the set piece goals?

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Steady progress and a 12th place finish.In Chris we trust.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
I think we performed superbly last season and frankly punched above our weight. Murray had a superb season considering his age and Gross turned out to be an absolute gem. We also saw some fantastic almost one off performances: Arsenal, Man utd (home), and West Ham (h&a) all spring to mind. We genuinely surprised some of the more established 'acts' last season and Chris et al deserve huge credit for making it happen.

This time around: Our focus surely remains the same, survival. Anything above this should (and doubtless will) be considered a major success.

This season will be FAR tougher, Fulham and Wolves are well equipped and (for me) better than the teams they replaced. Certain other teams 'owe us one' and these too have changed personnel etc. For me, we've progressed the overall squad, yet I fear the new signings will all take time to claim the shirt and become regulars. We have a very tough start, and could suffer a loss of cohesion and confidence as a consequence - yet we will have time to recover, much like Palace last season.

Overall I fear we're nearer to 18th than I'd like, but as for making a call right now I couldn't in all honesty.

As I say; if we stay up (again) I'll be delighted.

Hamilton

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
We are going to have another tough season.

15th

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Sure, that's a good point. But our team was far more settled going into last season and our core was pretty much the same as the Championship season before. Duffy, Dunk, Bruno, Stephens, Hemed was our core at the start of last season. We had added Ryan, Suttner, Propper and Gross to the side but this season I think our starting line up at Watford is going to be very different. I think it's going to take some time to settle the team down and to find the groove that we fell into last season.

I see this season being harder than last season because we have a number of unproven players. Hopefully they all perform, but inevitably a few of them won't.

I am not sure it was that much more settled. Four of those players you mention will probably start the first game (if Duffy is fit) and the likes of Ryan, Propper and Gross have become the core now.

Last season, pretty much all our players were unproven in the Premier League. Only three had played in the league before. The ones who have left this summer hardly featured last season. The ones who kept us up last season have all stayed.

I'm also not sure why you have so little faith in our recruitment team. As far as I can see we have looked at our weaknesses and filled pretty much all of them. It has been a very impressive summer in terms of recruitment.

I am not saying we will definitely stay up. Overall, the quality of teams has improved over the summer. However, we've got a lot more chance because we have improved the squad than if we'd limited our buys (and kept some of the back up players in the squad) to avoid making too many changes.

larus

Gone for 10th.

In reality, the top 6 are (virtually) set in stone. I think we’ll be one of the better ‘rest of the bunch’ teams, and we could really be between 7th and 16th. Things such as injuries can have a big impact.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Aug 8, 2005
10th but impossible to predict until the window closes and you see our signings against the other teams.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
17th

Lot of risky signings think we've gone a bit quantity over quality. And we will have more injuries this season.

On the plus side we've kept best players so far.

League looks tough on paper but I'm sure there will be plenty of crap teams around.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

el punal

I have voted 18th because I don't think the balance is right in the squad. I'm concerned that Hughton has given himself a lot of problems and we'll see the team changing on a game by game basis, which doesn't help the players find their consistency or best levels and I think we've got too many players without experience of the Premier League. The early signs are not positive in my opinion, and given the start of the season we have - I think we're going to be in the bottom 3 all season.

I don't want to hark back to Russell Slade's 08/09 squad but it feels like this group won't gel in the same way that squad didn't.

You really are the life and soul of the party of the party.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
17th

Lot of risky signings think we've gone a bit quantity over quality. And we will have more injuries this season.

On the plus side we've kept best players so far.

League looks tough on paper but I'm sure there will be plenty of crap teams around.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

All our signings will have an element of risk. We don't have the money to compete for proven Premier League players so we're going to have to take risks on players from overseas or ones who have not quite made it in the Premier League before.

What we definitely are is more able to deal with injuries, as you are right and there will be more. We've brought in defensive cover, in Balogun and Bernardo, and are apparently after another centre back. We've covered Stephens and Propper with the signing of Bissouma. We will hopefully have got an extra winger and we've also signed another striker. I am struggling to see what more the club could have done and, given reports on a few of the signings, it is hard to see where your quantity over quality comment comes from except possibly goalkeeper.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here