Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Wolves at it again

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Good post. With £100m of extra broadcasting income, newly promoted clubs seem to spend £40m to £50m in transfer fees in the first summer window, with a huge increase in player wages too.

Wolves and Fulham are going for £100m in fees alone in the first summer, including well known 'names' and internationals.

I recall [MENTION=31]El Presidente[/MENTION] explaining that there are PL rules too on financial fair play. We won't see the Fulham and West Ham 2018/19 accounts for another 18 months, but I wonder how the hell they can spend double that of Hudd and Brighton?

There are two sets of rules in the PL.

(1) A club is limited to FFP losses of £105m over a rolling three year period.

(2) Wages cannot be increased by more than £7m a season (not valid for clubs promoted) PLUS any extra income generated by the club itself (ie excluding TV income) PLUS the average gain on player sales for the last three years.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
A radio show today, which included football writers and ex-PL players, predicted comfortable top half finishes next May for Fulham and Wolves.

If thats Merson in there, that them both relagated then !

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
There are two sets of rules in the PL.

(1) A club is limited to FFP losses of £105m over a rolling three year period.

(2) Wages cannot be increased by more than £7m a season (not valid for clubs promoted) PLUS any extra income generated by the club itself (ie excluding TV income) PLUS the average gain on player sales for the last three years.

Thank you for your prompt response!

I guessed they might be OK on (2) wages, because of the newly promoted scenario.

(1) allows them to go all out in one window to blitz transfers in, to give them potentially a top half squad.

Digressing to West Ham and (2), a comparison of payroll costs between 2017/18 and 2018/19 will be of interest. As well as recruiting Pelligrini and his team, they've signed an awful lot of players who would have commanded wages far greater than the Albion pay for example.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
A radio show today, which included football writers and ex-PL players, predicted comfortable top half finishes next May for Fulham and Wolves.

The pundits and writers usually go on net spend + if they've heard of the signings.
That's why they take no notice of us or Huddersfield, and predict Watford to go down every season.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Betting markets make Wolves virtually evens to finish in the top half, remarkable for a newly promoted team who've been out of the PL for a long time. And 6x more likely to achieve that, than unfashionable Brighton.

IMG_2810.PNG

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Betting markets make Wolves virtually evens to finish in the top half, remarkable for a newly promoted team who've been out of the PL for a long time. And 6x more likely to achieve that, than unfashionable Brighton.

View attachment 99552

Not quite sure why the punters think Newcastle - who have bought very little this summer - are twice as likely as Brighton to finish in the top half. This is a side who battled relegation most of the season and have done no strengthening since then

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Not quite sure why the punters think Newcastle - who have bought very little this summer - are twice as likely as Brighton to finish in the top half. This is a side who battled relegation most of the season and have done no strengthening since then

Benitez worked wonders to get them top half, plus a larger fan base to go betting?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Benitez worked wonders to get them top half, plus a larger fan base to go betting?

Not sure about that; most Toon supporters I know of think that Ashley has no interest in improving the team. They did OK last season but only just finished top half - if they'd conceded two more goals they wouldn't have - but other teams in the league have been buying like mad and Newcastle have bought sweet cock-all.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Not sure about that; most Toon supporters I know of think that Ashley has no interest in improving the team. They did OK last season but only just finished top half - if they'd conceded two more goals they wouldn't have - but other teams in the league have been buying like mad and Newcastle have bought sweet cock-all.

Very true, Newcastle fans know full well that Ashley won't back the club, doing just enough to stay in the PL (or not in 2016, when his tightness came unstuck).

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

Not sure the OP was talking about MA ...and like it or not they did finish top half and RB deserves some credit...and yes they have signed sod all ...which won't make selling the club any easier if they struggle...on top of that player disputes over unpaid bonuses ...a poor start and the crowd will be on their backs..ive seen 5/1... those odds could tumble

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Not sure the OP was talking about MA ...and like it or not they did finish top half and RB deserves some credit...and yes they have signed sod all ...which won't make selling the club any easier if they struggle...on top of that player disputes over unpaid bonuses ...a poor start and the crowd will be on their backs..ive seen 5/1... those odds could tumble

Lamie, do you envisage Newcastle's relegation?

If Benitez stays, I see them escaping that due to his tactics and magic touch, but having an uncomtable season in bottom half.

All guesswork I realise.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Not looking CL material as predicted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here