Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Holidaying alone?

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Has anyone done any travelling or arranged holidays on their own, as a single person,? I see there are a few companies who do holidays targeted to single people where you go in groups and there's excursions and stuff organised. Glamping Vs camping it seems, organised back packing of sorts. Yes it takes away some of the elements of back packing or going on mission on your own, and it will cost more hey. I have only read good things about it reallly, and giving it a thought at some point. I have done enough independent travelling and aren't really interested in the pretentiousness of 20 something's with dreads bongos and a camper van scowling at you for daring to use the lonely planet anymore.

Excuse the stereotype. Not interested too much in meeting an individual tinder style. Anyone done it? I might have the opportunity to do so for the first time soonish and it's quite appealing. I am 40

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
Cue [MENTION=1416]Ernest[/MENTION] announcing that He’s started up a travel company,exclusively for middle aged,sad sack loaners that struggle to rustle up a couple of mates..

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Cue [MENTION=1416]Ernest[/MENTION] announcing that He’s started up a travel company,exclusively for middle aged,sad sack loaners that struggle to rustle up a couple of mates..

I doubt that he takes his gender-neutral cousin Tristram with him when he has a holiday

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Very frequently go on my own, reckon I have been to about 40 countries as a solo traveler, I bloody love it. Ukraine and Belarus next month will be overall countries number 74 and 75 :)

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Not used a company before but if this is your first time definitely do it.

I've often extended work trips to add on a few days for holidays (usually in the US) and always enjoyed it. Big believer in taking opportunities to see the world regardless of circumstances. I also ended up coming out of a long term relationship last year and decided to book a 2 week holiday to Australia, half the time I spent seeing an old friend but the remaining time I traveled around Melbourne & Sydney and largely loved it. Any longer period and I probably would have gotten involved in some kind of group stuff. Go for it!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I've done it loads of times, probably been on holiday more times on my own than with other people. You don't have to take anyone else's opinion into account and can go where you like, do what you like. I normally plan my own itinerary as it's easier.

The only time I went on a package on my own was in Tunisia. While I was there, I saw a poster advertising a Cheb Khaled gig taking place the next day. I abandoned my hotel for that night, booked into another (it was in a different town) and went to the gig. I probaly couldn't have done that if I'd been with someone.

Now I have a family, everything is planned and centered on the kids, I do miss those days of spontaneity.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
I've done it loads of times, probably been on holiday more times on my own than with other people. You don't have to take anyone else's opinion into account and can go where you like, do what you like. I normally plan my own itinerary as it's easier.

The only time I went on a package on my own was in Tunisia. While I was there, I saw a poster advertising a Cheb Khaled gig taking place the next day. I abandoned my hotel for that night, booked into another (it was in a different town) and went to the gig. I probaly couldn't have done that if I'd been with someone.

Now I have a family, everything is planned and centered on the kids, I do miss those days of spontaneity.

Nailed it. The spontaneity of being able to do what you want and when you want. I also meet loads of people as a solo traveller which I probably would not if I was with friends as you tend to stick with those people only. I like going away with friends or a partner too but the selfish part of me loves the freedom to do what I want in my own time.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Has anyone done any travelling or arranged holidays on their own, as a single person,? I see there are a few companies who do holidays targeted to single people where you go in groups and there's excursions and stuff organised. Glamping Vs camping it seems, organised back packing of sorts. Yes it takes away some of the elements of back packing or going on mission on your own, and it will cost more hey. I have only read good things about it reallly, and giving it a thought at some point. I have done enough independent travelling and aren't really interested in the pretentiousness of 20 something's with dreads bongos and a camper van scowling at you for daring to use the lonely planet anymore.

Excuse the stereotype. Not interested too much in meeting an individual tinder style. Anyone done it? I might have the opportunity to do so for the first time soonish and it's quite appealing. I am 40

I just turned 41 mate and have been doing the solo travel thing for about a decade. I personally like to book things independently but then often join a tour for part of the holiday. Last year I went to central America for a month but joined a tour for 14 days of that. Last month I went to Peru for two weeks but joined a Macchu Picchu tour for 5 of those days. For both of these I used G adventures, they are a great company and always have a lot of solo travellers on them too, I have made loads of friends through them, just this weekend a friend from NY came to Brighton to stay at mine and I will be going to hers later on this year, getting to stay in NY for free!

Do not think about it too much, just do it and if you want any advice them feel free to send me a PM :)

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
Never done camping on my own, but I did go to Turkey in my own, first day there went to reception to find out about tours, met a couple of girls from Liverpool, who upon finding out I was on my own, informed me I was part of their gang now, their gang consisted of two other scousers, a couple from middlesbrough and a girl from Newcastle.

What I thought was going to be a chilled out 10 days on my own turned out to be the best holiday ever, the laughter never really stopped til we all left at the end of the holiday.

Still had time to do the things I wanted to, go on trips etc, but it was nice to have some friendly faces by the bar in the evening.

Also toured Italy alone, travelling by train, not as good as Turkey as I kept moving so didn't meet up with anyone, but still wonderful to visit places I wanted to and do what I wanted to do, when I wanted to do it and move on when I got bored.

Go for it, it's great on your own.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I went on holiday alone (note: not traveling) last year.

We've been quite frequent visitors to Orlando as a family and there was something I wanted to see over there that was in term time. I kept thinking about going and in the end my partner told me to just do it. I booked a flight at 8:15am, walked my son to school, came home and threw some stuff into a bag and left home in a cab at 9:00am. I booked travel insurance on the train on the way to LGW, and a hotel when I'd checked in and was waiting for my flight.

I did a lot of things I wouldn't have done if I'd been with my family including spending the day drinking with some Bolton lads before going to see Orlando City play, managing to snag a ticket behind the goal amongst their ultra fans. I rented a Mustang convertible and drove it just for fun, including heading out to the coast to watch a SpaceX launch, did all 4 Disney parks in one, starting at 8am and finishing sometime around 1am but basically did what I wanted, when I wanted to do it, and it's that freedom that holidaying alone affords you.

I also ended up having some quite in-depth conversations with some wonderful people that, had I been in a group, I doubt would have happened.

I wouldn't say it was was any better or worse than holidaying with my family just different.

The only thing I didn't do was have sit-down waiter-served meals. I know plenty of people do when they're solo, but I didn't on holiday and I never have when working away from home by myself either. Maybe next time!

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane

We've been quite frequent visitors to Orlando as a family and there was something I wanted to see over there that was in term time. I kept thinking about going and in the end my partner told me to just do it. I booked a flight at 8:15am, walked my son to school, came home and threw some stuff into a bag and left home in a cab at 9:00am. I booked travel insurance on the train on the way to LGW, and a hotel when I'd checked in and was waiting for my flight.

I did a lot of things I wouldn't have done if I'd been with my family including spending the day drinking with some Bolton lads before going to see Orlando City play, managing to snag a ticket behind the goal amongst their ultra fans. I rented a Mustang convertible and drove it just for fun, including heading out to the coast to watch a SpaceX launch, did all 4 Disney parks in one, starting at 8am and finishing sometime around 1am but basically did what I wanted, when I wanted to do it, and it's that freedom that holidaying alone affords you.

I also ended up having some quite in-depth conversations with some wonderful people that, had I been in a group, I doubt would have happened.

I wouldn't say it was was any better or worse than holidaying with my family just different.

The only thing I didn't do was have sit-down waiter-served meals. I know plenty of people do when they're solo, but I didn't on holiday and I never have when working away from home by myself either. Maybe next time!

Steady Bozza the Mustang thing is borderline midlife crisis! That aside sounds a complete hoot!

A couple of times I’ve been know to head off on my own in this country but never done it abroad.

Usually revolves around wanting to see a particular feature like a National park or a specific piece of geology and wanting to have time to nose around under my own steam etc.

It’s fantastically cathartic too. Time and headspace tastic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Weststander

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Very frequently go on my own, reckon I have been to about 40 countries as a solo traveler, I bloody love it. Ukraine and Belarus next month will be overall countries number 74 and 75 :)

Bangkok, Manilla, Vilnius, Riga, Prague, Bratislava, Tallinn, Kiev and Minsk.

For some reason these destinations have seen exponential growth in the number of solo older travellers over the past 30 years.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
I have gone for long weekends away on my own and previously stayed in Hostels which has helped meeting people.

However some times I havent met anyone I particually wanted to spend any great deal of time with and just enjoyed the relaxation.

If you are put yourself out there it is very rare people wont talk to you especially when away.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Bangkok, Manilla, Vilnius, Riga, Prague, Bratislava, Tallinn, Kiev and Minsk.

For some reason these destinations have seen exponential growth in the number of solo older travellers over the past 30 years.

Ha, yes I know why but I am not interested in any of that game. Even a lap dancing club intimidates me :blush:

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Aug 8, 2005

I have ten more days holiday than Mrs Giraffe. How did you present it so you got the buy in?

mylesfdo

Jan 25, 2015
Pretty much always go on my own!! Might meet pals along the way but being single its the only way really, no arguing with people where to go and when, if want a night in with movie just crack on and do it etc etc.

Use Skyscanner to search for flights and use the chart option to play around with dates and get cheapest flights, I dont mind indirect 1 stop flights as firstly it breaks up the trip and secondly can usually save a fortune!

Booking.com is my go to place for hotels and I usually book a bunch of places all on free cancellation so I can gauge how budget is going and what level of luxury I want in a hotel in certain places!! Im probably going to try out AirBnB in a few places on next trip but sometimes can get stung on the cleaning fees so its actually better off going to hotel especially if can get brekkie included!

Just do it and dont worry about being lonely as you can meet people anywhere you like pretty much if you want to or just keep yourself to yourself!!

BlockDpete

Oct 8, 2005
Done quite a bit of solo travelling in my time.

Recently it has been a mixture of just booking a flight and heading out of my own, or booking a group holiday with companies like Explore.

I've been to Vietnam and Canada completely on my own and had a great time. I did have a bit of hassle at Toronto Airport Immigration when arrived on my own. Just a bit of extra questioning, but they did think it odd I was travelling alone, and wasn't meeting anyone.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here