Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Ozil resigns as a German international

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
The problem I’ve got with Ozil is that he’s accused the German football federation of racism, but I can’t see how they have been.I don’t doubt at all that he got some unsavoury and unacceptable treatment online and this should be called out, but the Federation and the media? I’m unclear as to what they have done.

I’m happy to accept Ozil’s explanation that he met Erdogan in an apolitical capacity, so I’m not concerned necessarily that he’s

If England had a player who was originally from another country and continued to play for England whilst showing strong support for that country (over and above being generally proud of their heritage) my reaction as a supporter would be that I wouldn’t want them in the team so much. A bit like the incident where Kevin Pieterson was texting the S Africa team, slating, I think Andrew Strauss. I wanted him out of the team.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Nothing to do with racism, but you're just wrong. I have two passports and it doesn't work like that at all. It's like saying you can't love your second child as much as the first

No I’m not and no it isn’t! Jeez...

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
This is a jumbled mess of a post. Are you trying to attack his football or his decision to be as he was born - a citizen with a dual nationality background? Make your mind up and then come back with something a tad more coherent. FYI, if you don’t think he’s very good, fair enough. If you’ve seen enough of him for Germany and Arsenal to make that assumption, fair enough.

But if you have an issue with someone being of dual nationality, being open about said dual nationality, and then being vilified for not doing his job (as none of his team mates did) but blaming that poor performance on his dual nationality (and racial/religious background), then you, Sir, are basically just a racist. I mean it’s clear he sees himself as a German citizen - he says he was born there, brought to there etc. But he doesn’t want to shy away from the other side of his background, let alone be attacked for it. Does that deserve racial abuse?
I think you missed the point of my post, and I do apologise if it wasn't clear. My overarching point was that the poor timing of Özil's meeting with Erdogan made it inevitable that he could be made a scapegoat if Germany were to do badly at the World Cup. In a perfect world, no one should be made a scapegoat, but we don't live in a perfect world. Should I be able to wear an England shirt on holiday to Scotland and not receive abuse? Yes. But is it a good idea, especially just before an international game against them? Probably not. My point is that Özil probably could have met Erdogan in January 2019 and it have largely gone unnoticed. Just before a World Cup was naïve and was most likely always going to end badly.

About his dual nationality - if I read his statement correctly, he regretted being classed as "German-Turkish" whilst Podolski and Klose were never seen as "German-Polish" in the media, but as Germans. What I was saying that calling Erdogan "my president" is not necessarily going to help solve that. If I emigrated to Australia, became an Australian citizen and then met Queen Elizabeth and called her "my queen" during a time of political tension over republicanism, that might be unwise.

Also, looking at a situation from a more balanced perspective does not make someone a racist.

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
A gifted, creative player operating outside the penalty box, WHEN surrounded by quality team mates AND when his team is on the front foot.

But if he doesn't get those two conditions, he goes completely missing from matches. That is not a myth, I've watched a lot of Arsenal CL and PL matches in full over the years and that is a trait of his. Many Arsenal fans, as much as they love having him, mention that frustration frequently.

You just described Gross. If his teamates dont put away the chances they create then that is their lot. They will themselves score few individual goals so are reliant on their team finishing. Germany without Klose or Podolski were much less of a threat. That was their real problem but now they are without a creative attacking midfielder and a decent striker :D this is England level of stupidity.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
The problem I’ve got with Ozil is that he’s accused the German football federation of racism, but I can’t see how they have been.I don’t doubt at all that he got some unsavoury and unacceptable treatment online and this should be called out, but the Federation and the media? I’m unclear as to what they have done.

I’m happy to accept Ozil’s explanation that he met Erdogan in an apolitical capacity, so I’m not concerned necessarily that he’s

If England had a player who was originally from another country and continued to play for England whilst showing strong support for that country (over and above being generally proud of their heritage) my reaction as a supporter would be that I wouldn’t want them in the team so much. A bit like the incident where Kevin Pieterson was texting the S Africa team, slating, I think Andrew Strauss. I wanted him out of the team.

Out of interest have you read his full statement?

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Feel sorry for the guy as he does have a point.

In hindsight having that photo taken was not the best thing to do, but Salah had is taken with Kadyrov but seems to have gotten away with that.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Left wing German politicians on the news last night, including Greens, were scathing of Ozil on two counts:

1. He met the facist leader of Turkey (tens of thousands of political prisoners, waging war against several minorities).
2. A multi millionaire living the high life in London does little for integration within Germany.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Left wing German politicians on the news last night, including Greens, were scathing of Ozil on two counts:

1. He met the facist leader of Turkey (tens of thousands of political prisoners, waging war against several minorities).
2. A multi millionaire living the high life in London does little for integration within Germany.

Did they ignore the charitable stuff he does. Assume like many they didn't read the full statement.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here