Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Virgin Media losing channels from tomorrow

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Yes and receive dozens of freeview channels.

The vast majority of UK households do not pay Sky, BT or cable TV companies a penny.
Thank you it's all so confusing these days.
What with live sport available one way or another including a pub, with the crap on TV I really don't see the point of any expensive providers like virgin.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Is it possible to buy a TV, plug into the aeriel, without any boxes or inbuilt stuff and watch it?

Alternatively, buy a TV and an Amazon Firestick for £40.
Then follow all the instructions on the Kodi thread and Robert is indeed your father's brother.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
You've probably read, but this is oddly an internal BBC argument of sorts.

They own half of UK TV with Discovery.

Virgin want more for their money but UKTV don't have the rights to box sets since their parent company has done deals with the likes of Amazon and Netflix.

Feel a bit sorry for UKTV they make a lot of money for the bbc.

Sent from my BTV-DL09 using Tapatalk

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Alternatively, buy a TV and an Amazon Firestick for £40.
Then follow all the instructions on the Kodi thread and Robert is indeed your father's brother.

Thanks for that as well.
I have BT with sports on a decent deal.
I only have to call them when the deal is finishing and tell them I am leaving and how terrible they are, even though they are not, and we cut another decent deal.
But that's not the point, it's still money that if I can happily watch TV and sport by other much cheaper or free ways, then I will.
Better off in my pocket than BTs

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Not sure that’s accurate.

There are 25.8m TV licences, Sky have 12.7m customers, Virgin Media have 5.7m TV customers.

Well I'm one of the 7.3m and i haven't missed an episode of Taskmaster, Elementary, Last Week Tonight, or a televised Albion game.

Jul 7, 2003
Sorry was your original post an attempt at a joke ?

Sent from my BTV-DL09 using Tapatalk

To CGs point and to clarify for those who are not sure, VirginMedia is owned by the Liberty Group who own various media channels across the world. The parent company are also the owners of Formula 1. They use the Virgin brand under a licensing agreement.

They are not short of a few quid so you can see why UKTV were trying to squeeze them for some more cash

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Liberty own part of UKTV too thru Discovery. Probably all part of a power battle for UKTV ownership - beeb and c4 looking to buy out Discovery

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
One of the 7.3m ???

Who are the other 0.1?
I rounded down, assuming everybody else rounded up, thereby making my figure 100% accurate.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :lol:

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
This. Virgin are gash and they don't even broadcast in 4g, unlike Sky. Like you, I need to sort this out and move to Sky asap.

For me down here, Virgin’s 305Mbps v sky’s 32Mbps out trumps the loss of Dave by a coastal mile.

If you’re talking gash, then it’s the sky broadband offerings.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Bollocks I need Taskmaster. Virgin can go.

Again if you don't already have access to UKTV Player, just buy a Firestick, or it's lesser cheaper alternative a Roku stick, and assuming your TV has a spare USB port and you have broadband you're away.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here