Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Virgin Media losing channels from tomorrow

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
To CGs point and to clarify for those who are not sure, VirginMedia is owned by the Liberty Group who own various media channels across the world. The parent company are also the owners of Formula 1. They use the Virgin brand under a licensing agreement.

They are not short of a few quid so you can see why UKTV were trying to squeeze them for some more cash
I think it was the other way round. Basically the value of linear channels is dropping and I'd imagine Liberty want more for the money.

Sent from my BTV-DL09 using Tapatalk

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Again if you don't already have access to UKTV Player, just buy a Firestick, or it's lesser cheaper alternative a Roku stick, and assuming your TV has a spare USB port and you have broadband you're away.

That’s no solution as it costs another £40. And more shit to deal with. I had a Kodi machine but binned it due to it being utterly convoluted.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
That’s no solution as it costs another £40. And more shit to deal with. I had a Kodi machine but binned it due to it being utterly convoluted.

But it's a one off £40.

I haven't touched the Kodi app on my Firestick for months.
Between me and the kids the one TV & movies add-on and the one sport add-on gets used pretty much everyday.

Being a technophobe who can rival BG I find it hard to believe others struggle with the set up.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

I too have a Kodi machine, followed all the instructions and got sick of various add-ons just stopping after about a week. I'm amazed anyone still uses these things - what a waste of 30 quid that was.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
They are not kodi machines or boxes, they are Android boxes. It is the same as an android phone without the phone. Just go to the Google Play Store and install the UKTV app. Job done no fuss dead easy

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Why would anyone use Virgin for TV? Surely they have to be more expensive than Sky, bearing in mind they are reselling their product? Plus you get cables all over your house and a dog shit TV guide. I’m happy to be corrected though as I’m no expert, that’s just my impression.

The internet never cuts, and I can’t believe there’s a better internet service. TV-wise, yeah it’s shit but I rarely go off terrestrial bar Taskmaster.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Why would anyone use Virgin for TV? Surely they have to be more expensive than Sky, bearing in mind they are reselling their product? Plus you get cables all over your house and a dog shit TV guide. I’m happy to be corrected though as I’m no expert, that’s just my impression.

Internet is really good plus Sky Sports and BT sports in one sports package for all the PL footie.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
This. Virgin are gash and they don't even broadcast in 4g, unlike Sky. Like you, I need to sort this out and move to Sky asap.

This.

Also find Virgin really expensive, to match what I have with Sky it's £20 more a month and that is with discount.

Can't even get Sky Atlantic - unless that has changed.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

The alternative being Sky with a dish on the outside of your house and having to pay a 'call out' fee to get your box fixed ? Oh, and a slow internet speed. Hmmm ..... I'll stick with Virgin and my 100Mb internet thank you.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The alternative being Sky with a dish on the outside of your house and having to pay a 'call out' fee to get your box fixed ? Oh, and a slow internet speed. Hmmm ..... I'll stick with Virgin and my 100Mb internet thank you.

I've never paid a call-out fee. Had a couple of new boxes over the last 8-10 years or so, both times replaced without charge. They tried it on each time I called (£60 ??), but I told them I'd just cancel then (and I wasn't bluffing). You get put through to a 'retentions team', and following a short convo, they tell you that "on this occasion we've waive the charge...". This is also why their insurance is absolutely pointless, exclusively for mugs.

I pay them enough each month through the subscription, they're not screwing anything else out of me.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I've never paid a call-out fee. Had a couple of new boxes over the last 8-10 years or so, both times replaced without charge. They tried it on each time I called (£60 ??), but I told them I'd just cancel then (and I wasn't bluffing). You get put through to a 'retentions team', and following a short convo, they tell you that "on this occasion we've waive the charge...". This is also why their insurance is absolutely pointless, exclusively for mugs.

I pay them enough each month through the subscription, they're not screwing anything else out of me.

Oh indeed - I did that in the past when I was with Sky but I object of having to go through the charade just to get a service I've paid for anyway ! Virgin are by no means perfect but replacement boxes and engineers is something they do very well.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Oh indeed - I did that in the past when I was with Sky but I object of having to go through the charade just to get a service I've paid for anyway ! Virgin are by no means perfect but replacement boxes and engineers is something they do very well.

Sky try to convince me that the box is "my property, not theirs", and therefore I'm responsible for paying for it / insuring it. Absolute bobbins of course. I WOULD miss it if I binned them off though, I must admit. I just had a basic subscription, but they tempted me back with in with an offer of an additional £15pm for ALL the Sky Sports channels, price frozen for 3 years (I got sick of faffing about with Kodi). I use the Sky Go on my laptop and mobile all the time (I like watching my sports in the garden when the weathers like this), it really is an excellent product.

But I'll never pay for a callout, on principal.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit

With the Sky Q boxes they are on the same basis as the Virgin boxes, Sky retain ownership and repairs. Also nothing stopping you keeping Virgin internet and Sky TV

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here