Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] ABBA

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
In the news a bit with the Mama Mia film coming out. Now as a 36 year old man whose favourite bands are the Beatles, Oasis and Stone Roses, I wouldn’t say I’m their usual target audience, yet I have to say some of their music is uttery brilliant.

The Winner Takes It All, One of Us, The Day Before You Came, Summer Night City, Knowing Me Knowing You, Gimme Gimme Gimme are absolutely superb IMO.

I know critical reaction has always been mixed but I have to admit to listening to them a fair bit in the last few days. Anyone else prepared to admit to this or just me?!

I was only a young kid when Abba were at their peak, but loved their music then and still do now. Incredibly talented vocals, all original and catchy tunes.

As I got older, I also got to appreciate: The Name Of The Game, Knowing Me Knowing You, Chiquitita.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I'm always a bit surprised that the town doesn't make more of a big deal about ABBA winning Eurovision with 'Waterloo' at our very own Dome. Wonder how many tourists are even aware of it?

Olivia's song was BETTER.

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
In the news a bit with the Mama Mia film coming out. Now as a 36 year old man whose favourite bands are the Beatles, Oasis and Stone Roses, I wouldn’t say I’m their usual target audience, yet I have to say some of their music is uttery brilliant.

The Winner Takes It All, One of Us, The Day Before You Came, Summer Night City, Knowing Me Knowing You, Gimme Gimme Gimme are absolutely superb IMO.

I know critical reaction has always been mixed but I have to admit to listening to them a fair bit in the last few days. Anyone else prepared to admit to this or just me?!

Sorry to be pedantic but I think it should be referred to as “knowing me, knowing you, ah ha”

mlg57

Oct 20, 2006
Milton Keynes
Superb group, I saw them live once at Wembley Arena in the late 70's early 80's and they were outstanding. Their music is as popular now as it was when it was released, it has certainly stood the test of time.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The songs are obviously very well crafted, but don't move me in the slightest I'm afraid.

Fairly much me too. Far too good to be dissed, and I really have enjoyed some of their output - very well crafted, clever and enjoyable - but inspiring, ground-breaking? No.............................

Top pop - and that's it.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
SuperFurrySeagull;853021 6 said:

Impossible to name an Abba fav, but this is a brilliant & haunting song, & check out the synth parts, electronica fans!

Astonishing hymn to the heartbroken, moreover given the terminality of their relationships when recorded. Never performed live because of the risk to public safety: it is estimated that the tsunami of tears triggered would drown thousands.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here