Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Man 'beats seagull to death'

astralavi

Apr 6, 2017
Is it justified? https://www.standard.co.uk/news/cri...tealing-chip-at-westonsupermare-a3891966.html

They seem to be everywhere now, more hungry, growing more confident and horrifically noisy at 5 am

They cause so much LITTERING, wrecking bins daily and people in Hanover are paying 60 pounds a pop to rescue and rehabilitate the fallen chicks. A fire rescue was called for one with twelve fire fighters and it flew off, the bast@rd. They steal food and break plates and glasses, they savage tourists. Can we coexist?

No disrespect to the club or the badge but should there be a cull against the gull?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k028-NETGOQ

Last edited:

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Hanover :lolol: you could sell ice to hanoverians during the ice age by simply suggesting it's all the rage in hove as it improves blood flow when placed under a humanely killed fluffy down pillow .

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Wholly unacceptable. One can debate forever and a day whether there are too many of them etc but the pertinent fact here is a man was willing to doll out such extreme violence to an animal that was doing what comes naturally. Clearly an unbalanced individual.

Are there too many seagulls? There are certainly a lot in Brighton but Brighton has loads of rubbish bags piled up next to the big dumpster bins, more than it's fair share of MO houses all creating 3, 4, 5 times the amount of waste of a normal household. Brighton is full of litter and dropped food.

Just take a peek around Little preston St at the back of the restaurants, it's disgusting. Rammed with overflowing bins, scraps left in uncovered veg boxes, food literally just tipped onto the street.
So the real point here is that humans should change their filthy habits and you'd see less seagulls. Towns like Shoreham and Lancing all have seagull populations but you rarely see them townside because people put their rubbish in bins and don't leave bags of it lying around on the streets.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Our cat Ava has befriended a seagull, they seem to have a bromance around 08:00 hrs every morning where they stare at each other in the garden from a distance.

Last edited:

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
No, of course it's not justified.
What a stupid ****ing question.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Is it justified? https://www.standard.co.uk/news/cri...tealing-chip-at-westonsupermare-a3891966.html

They seem to be everywhere now, more hungry, growing more confident and horrifically noisy at 5 am

They cause so much LITTERING, wrecking bins daily and people in Hanover are paying 60 pounds a pop to rescue and rehabilitate the fallen chicks. A fire rescue was called for one with twelve fire fighters and it flew off, the bast@rd. They steal food and break plates and glasses, they savage tourists. Can we coexist?

No disrespect to the club or the badge but should there be a cull against the gull?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k028-NETGOQ

Cruelty to animals is not acceptable. At the same time, seagulls are a bloody nuisance, and shouldn't be a protected species. And I'd rather the police concentrated their limited resources on more serious matters, such as house-breaking, violence, rape and cyber-crime.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Protected birds and off

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Blimey! Who'd want to hurt those flying nuisances? Beats me.

Herring gulls are a protected species and natural scavengers. Humans are the dirty ones.
As others have pointed out, other places have seagull populations, without the nuisances. The gulls were here first.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
In defence of the murderer there is probably excessive provocation in this case.

If it is not already enshrined in human rights, there should be a clause concerning chips.

Every bird (no pun intended) I have ever been out with typically declines the chips option when out dining for something shit like a salad, and then consider it acceptable to steal a chip from my plate.........this can happen even after clear warning about the importance of making the right choices and dealing with consequences.

The murderer in this case is an old fella, he’s undoubtedly lifetime of chip thievery and when he finally gets round one day to getting a portion of his own on the seafront some f*cking bird swoops in and steals one.

He snaps.......absolutely understandable, not guilty.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
He was described as being in his 60s, white, about 5ft 8ins tall and with greying hair. He was wearing pink shorts, a blue and pink checked shirt and brown sandals."

Weston Super Mare Born n Bred :shrug:

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Wholly unacceptable. One can debate forever and a day whether there are too many of them etc but the pertinent fact here is a man was willing to doll out such extreme violence to an animal that was doing what comes naturally. Clearly an unbalanced individual.

Are there too many seagulls? There are certainly a lot in Brighton but Brighton has loads of rubbish bags piled up next to the big dumpster bins, more than it's fair share of MO houses all creating 3, 4, 5 times the amount of waste of a normal household. Brighton is full of litter and dropped food.

Just take a peek around Little preston St at the back of the restaurants, it's disgusting. Rammed with overflowing bins, scraps left in uncovered veg boxes, food literally just tipped onto the street.
So the real point here is that humans should change their filthy habits and you'd see less seagulls. Towns like Shoreham and Lancing all have seagull populations but you rarely see them townside because people put their rubbish in bins and don't leave bags of it lying around on the streets.

In fairness, they are still a problem in Shoreham, they're a nightmare if they happen to nest on your roof and eating a sandwich and Coronation Green isn't always a comfortable experience.

Horrible things, sometimes feel odd that I can shoot a squirrel but not a seagull.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
In fairness, they are still a problem in Shoreham, they're a nightmare if they happen to nest on your roof and eating a sandwich and Coronation Green isn't always a comfortable experience.

Horrible things, sometimes feel odd that I can shoot a squirrel but not a seagull.

They can make a nuisance of themselves at times but to be fair Coronation Green is right next to the river. We have a pair of Oyster Catchers and a young chick on our roof and I enjoy watching them. I think it's fair to say though that Shoreham is a far cleaner and obviously less populated area then Brighton so we really don't have as much of a problem.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Flying around squaking at 4AM is not acceptable, I wish the noisy b@stards would disappear back to the sea.
I wouldn't harm one though.

Not sure why they are called Herring gulls, I don't think many of them have actually been fishing.
Scavaging around the bins in KFC car park gulls is a bit long winded I suppose :)

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
No, never justified.

Just do the sensible thing and don't throw or eat food near seagulls - it's a bit like the eating at football debate- if you can hold off for a couple of hours you won't notice the annoyance. They're lovely birds and when they squaking it's a beautiful sound of the hot summer months.

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
He was described as being in his 60s, white, about 5ft 8ins tall and with greying hair. He was wearing pink shorts, a blue and pink checked shirt and brown sandals."

Weston Super Mare Born n Bred :shrug:

I don't believe it. He's got to have been a Muslim immigrant, FFS. Haven't you seen all the other threads?

#clueless

btnbelle

Apr 26, 2017
Never hear them at night, I'll sleep through anything. They are a pest though, keep waking up to find they have left unpleasant presents all over my patios. It's not a death sentence offence though and my cat loves watching them.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I was very impressed down at Rye harbour a while ago to see gulls detaching mussels from the rocks then dropping them from a height onto a cycle path to smash the shell to get to the flesh. That is effectively using an object (the man made cycleway) as a tool.

As other has intimated these birds are in our space, like the urban fox, because we are dirty overprivilaged ******** who leave food about.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Never hear them at night, I'll sleep through anything. They are a pest though, keep waking up to find they have left unpleasant presents all over my patios. It's not a death sentence offence though and my cat loves watching them.

Pigeon poo is far worse and dangerous I read somewhere with the toxins in it. My cat had a thing for robins - he never caught one though. The lazy moggy. :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here