Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Man 'beats seagull to death'

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Anyone ready to kill anything for stealing a chip needs help. It’s a chip. A bloody chip you moron! Hope he’s prosecuted. People need saving from themselves these days and I can’t abide animal cruelty either

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Anyone ready to kill anything for stealing a chip needs help. It’s a chip. A bloody chip you moron! Hope he’s prosecuted. People need saving from themselves these days and I can’t abide animal cruelty either
I bet that when/if the **** is caught he will also claim that his shorts were not pink but "salmon" as he's "not gay or anyfing right".

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Methinks it’s you that needs to bother to do some research with regard to EU fishery policy. :D

Yeh? So they don't chuck back fish of the wrong size any more? That must have been TV chefs' most effective campaign yet, then (was that Jamie Oliver or Hugh Fearnley-Whatsit?) Anyway, what they've had to chuck back for most of the last 40 years should be enough to feed a lot of seagulls for a bl00dy long time!

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Herring Gulls may seem common in Sussex but this is a stronghold and not representative of the country of a whole.
They are Red Listed as their numbers are declining rapidly - there were 280,000 breeding pairs in 1970. By 2000 there were just 130,000 breeding pairs left in the UK. The numbers are still declining.
They are also coming more into towns scavenging due to declining fish stocks etc.

Brighton is a Mecca for Seagulls, the homeless, and **** hatted Ning Nang Nongers. Soon the indigenous population will be pushed out by these types. Leaving the town unrecognisable from the misty eyed nostalgic place that our unreliable memories choose to conjure.

Sad really

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
For several years every summer the same gang of herring gulls would dive bomb and attack me when I went running up the river Adur. They’d be sat on the roof of the Amsterdam Inn, see me coming, laugh maniacally, and launch a coordinated bombardment. They are bloody big, they bloody hurt, and they bloody stink. I took to waving a hockey stick at them to defend myself, but never dreamed of swinging for one with malice. Several onlookers over the years were gobsmacked by what they saw, some tried to rescue me.

I’m fat now and I don’t run anymore. They stole my mojo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did it ever occur to you to run somewhere else?

On a similar note a friend of mine in Hove used to get attacked on a regular basis but (what we assumed) was the same gull. Every time he left his house for a month or two he was greeted by a sqwuarking monster.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Buy her some disgraceful underwear, take her to a decent sex club...... situation corrected. [emoji23]

I already bought her a seagull dress up outfit and took her to a terrible sex club.

What more does she want? I was wearing my cat furry outfit. :lolol:

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
Yeh? So they don't chuck back fish of the wrong size any more? That must have been TV chefs' most effective campaign yet, then (was that Jamie Oliver or Hugh Fearnley-Whatsit?)

Discard has been basically banned since 2015, following the CPF Reform passed back in 2013.

Anyway, what they've had to chuck back for most of the last 40 years should be enough to feed a lot of seagulls for a bl00dy long time!

Discards only became an issue from the end of 1992 when the CFP introduced new regulations, so appalling as it still is, its 22 years of dead fish being chucked back, not 40.

I’m not sure what any of this has to do with the current gull populations mind.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I live in a flat about a mile inland and am absolutely inundated with the things because I have a nutty old neighbour who feeds them. We're not talking about putting bread crumbs out - she
buys sacks of birdfeed and puts it industrial sized feeders. The subsequent mess and noise is far more than we should have to put up with but I would draw the line at killing the buggers no
matter how wound up I get.

They are also coming more into towns scavenging due to declining fish stocks etc.

Nothing to do with declining fish stocks, I think many Herring Gulls have never been fishing, especially when people like the one mentioned in the post above feed them.
All these gulls do is nest on a roof, fly down eat in gardens, tear open bins and pick up dropped take away food, they don't need to go to sea.

I work in homes around the Seaford and Newhaven area and there are many older people with what they call their "pet seagull" that knocks on their patio doors for his breakfast and dinner. :mad:

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
Nothing to do with declining fish stocks, I think many Herring Gulls have never been fishing, especially when people like the one mentioned in the post above feed them.
All these gulls do is nest on a roof, fly down eat in gardens, tear open bins and pick up dropped take away food, they don't need to go to sea.

I work in homes around the Seaford and Newhaven area and there are many older people with what they call their "pet seagull" that knocks on their patio doors for his breakfast and dinner. :mad:

What you say about urban Herring Gulls is probably true BUT the reason they moved into urban areas to scavenge in the first place was due to declining fish stocks. If there had been enough food in the sea they would never have moved into towns in the first place. A number have now adapted to this life style and as you say may not ever fish (I'd be interested to know if any studies had ever been done on on if urban Herring Gulls do still fish at all).

Another reason Herring Gulls MAY have moved into urban areas to nest is due to coastal management. In some areas in the UK coastal defences have led to less cliff falls and steeper cliff profiles leading to less nesting sites. This has forced some sea birds to look for nest sites in other areas away from their traditional nesting areas. I know of a colony of Kittiwakes in NE England that now nest on bridges and skyscrapers for this very reason. I wonder if this may have had an impact on Herring Gulls in Sussex leading to them nesting on roofs?

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
When recently in Vilamoura for a golf break there was a marked lack of Gulls. Considering the harbour area is packed with open air restaurants and bars I asked a bar owner why explaining in Brighton we are overrun with them. They cull them to stop them being a nuisance. We only saw them in numbers albeit low ones out at sea

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
The only times it is acceptable to beat any animal to death is in self defence or to finish off a critically injured one. This sandal wearing pondlife should be on some sort of watch list as he's plainly a wrong 'un.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here