Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Man 'beats seagull to death'

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
this is unfortunatly false information (though officially recognised), due to counting being based on old nesting areas. they moved to city/alternative sites where they arent being counted.

I don't blame them. It's an assault on their privacy and seagull civil liberties.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
this is unfortunatly false information (though officially recognised), due to counting being based on old nesting areas. they moved to city/alternative sites where they arent being counted.
Clever ***** too then!

I love seagulls. They're proper hard nasty gits and you have to keep your wits about you when they're around. What's wrong with that when it's technically us invading their space and giving them an abundant source of food?

Hope pink shorts wanker gets his head smashed against a wall, and I bet he’s fat too which is why he was so angry about losing a chip. ****.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Lots of fuss because it was a seagull. Nobody (well, all bar a very few) would have turned a hair if it had been a rat. I know seagulls are a protected species (lord knows why - they're a bl00dy menace in inland cities now) but I wish they weren't - they're basically sky rats, after all. People can shoot pigeons, but not seagulls? - potty!

Bloke shouldn't have left it for a vet to finish it off, though. If he had swiped and injured it for nicking his food, he should at least have had the guts to finish it off and put the creature out of its pain. Gutless and cruel.

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
Lots of fuss because it was a seagull. Nobody (well, all bar a very few) would have turned a hair if it had been a rat. I know seagulls are a protected species (lord knows why - they're a bl00dy menace in inland cities now) but I wish they weren't - they're basically sky rats, after all. People can shoot pigeons, but not seagulls? - potty!

Bloke shouldn't have left it for a vet to finish it off, though. If he had swiped and injured it for nicking his food, he should at least have had the guts to finish it off and put the creature out of its pain. Gutless and cruel.

As I said above it is because their populations are declining rapidly (over 50% decline in UK since 1970). This is not the case with pigeons or rats.
I agree with you that they can be a pain in cities though - it's a shame something cannot be done about their declining natural food sources to stop them needing to move into cities.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

Very common where I live in South London. I've never seen one come to ground but they in residence on the street light outside my place.

You never see an Eagle in South London.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I love seagulls. They're proper hard nasty gits and you have to keep your wits about you when they're around. What's wrong with that when it's technically us invading their space and giving them an abundant source of food?

humans arent known for building on cliffs, and gulls moving in to towns is relativly recent phenomena. apparently none recorded nesting in Brighton before 1970, though could be down to poor records.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
humans arent known for building on cliffs, and gulls moving in to towns is relativly recent phenomena. apparently none recorded nesting in Brighton before 1970, though could be down to poor records.
We remove their source of food from the sea and provide an abundant source of food in towns and cities built next to the sea. It's not complicated is it?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Not true. Diving Eagles are very common in South London.

Yes, but they're not doing much of a public service re: herring gulls, are they? I'd prefer to see a great increase in the number of urban peregrine falcons rather than eagles (but if one of the eagles would see to the cat that craps in my garden, I would personally put feed out for it myself!)

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
We remove their source of food from the sea and provide an abundant source of food in towns and cities built next to the sea. It's not complicated is it?

Their source of food should be fine, since EU fisheries policies require huge amounts of caught fish to be thrown back into the sea. Plus our fishermen are not allowed to catch as much of the seagulls' food as they used to.

So, have the bl00dy sky-rats just got lazy?

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Their source of food should be fine, since EU fisheries policies require huge amounts of caught fish to be thrown back into the sea. Plus our fishermen are not allowed to catch as much of the seagulls' food as they used to.

So, have the bl00dy sky-rats just got lazy?
You've been reading the Daily Mail again haven't you.

Go to your room and do 100 lines. "I must not believe all the anti EU propaganda that I read in right wing rags". It'll be quite cathartic I promise.

So there's plenty of fish for the gulls to eat but they've just "got lazy"? That's entirely possible but I'm not sure it's factually correct. Perfectly happy to be shown the facts though.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
You've been reading the Daily Mail again haven't you.

Go to your room and do 100 lines. "I must not believe all the anti EU propaganda that I read in right wing rags". It'll be quite cathartic I promise.

So there's plenty of fish for the gulls to eat but they've just "got lazy"? That's entirely possible but I'm not sure it's factually correct. Perfectly happy to be shown the facts though.
Oh, such blithe - and ignorant - assumption that you know what you are talking about. No' I don't read the Daily Mail. Never have. Don't even buy a newspaper. Occasionally pick up a Metro on the bus - it's readers letters are a bit wet and wimpish, but it's pretty harmless.

Oh, and I think you'll find, if you can be bothered to research it, that a). there are fishing quotas these days as a result of the EU Common Fisheries policy, and
b). tons of dead fish are thrown back into the sea (for seagulls and others - other than humans - to eat) in order to satisfy EU regulations.

But don't let the facts get in the way if you want to try sneering But Daily Mail, ffs - :facepalm: - really should do better! 0/10!

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Oh, such blithe - and ignorant - assumption that you know what you are talking about. No' I don't read the Daily Mail. Never have. Don't even buy a newspaper. Occasionally pick up a Metro on the bus - it's readers letters are a bit wet and wimpish, but it's pretty harmless.

Oh, and I think you'll find, if you can be bothered to research it, that a). there are fishing quotas these days as a result of the EU Common Fisheries policy, and
b). tons of dead fish are thrown back into the sea (for seagulls and others - other than humans - to eat) in order to satisfy EU regulations.

But don't let the facts get in the way if you want to try sneering But Daily Mail, ffs - :facepalm: - really should do better! 0/10!
You haven't given any facts to back up your point though. Have seagulls "got lazy" or is it something to do with a reduction in their available food at sea? I said I'd be happy to believe this if there were some stats to prove it. I don't know but you seem to.

Blithe and ignorant is trying to turn absolutely every thread whatsoever into an EU beating stick. Even one about seagulls stealing chips.

Can you not see that that's a bit sad?

Oh and the Metro is a free version of the Mail (check the owners) so cheers, you've proved my point.

[emoji23]

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch

Methinks it’s you that needs to bother to do some research with regard to EU fishery policy. :D

jonnyrovers

mostly tinpot
Aug 13, 2013
Shoreham-by-Sea
For several years every summer the same gang of herring gulls would dive bomb and attack me when I went running up the river Adur. They’d be sat on the roof of the Amsterdam Inn, see me coming, laugh maniacally, and launch a coordinated bombardment. They are bloody big, they bloody hurt, and they bloody stink. I took to waving a hockey stick at them to defend myself, but never dreamed of swinging for one with malice. Several onlookers over the years were gobsmacked by what they saw, some tried to rescue me.

I’m fat now and I don’t run anymore. They stole my mojo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here