Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The Benchwarmer Exodus

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
Hemed linked with QPR in argus.

Again, no mention of bringing in a replacement. Reckon Leo is on standby.
Unless we are planning a serious upgrade on Hemed I don't see the point in selling him given the state of our strikers fitness right now.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Unless we are planning a serious upgrade on Hemed I don't see the point in selling him given the state of our strikers fitness right now.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Agreed.

But Naylor mentions he could be off all the time now.

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
There's been no links at all to any other striker, not even a sniff. So either we're completely in the dark about a target if Hemed leaves OR we'll not replace him at all.

However if CH believes that Andone and Locadia are fit to play within the next couple of weeks then he'll have 3 options up front. Although Locadia would be 3rd Choice out of them. Very risky though.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Do you have some insight for that, or are you guessing?

I have no knowledge on it at all, but from following the player on social media, he seems as settled in the area (Hove) as any player in the squad. His family seem to love it here, and I'd be surprised if he were actively pushing to move.

Also, he and Mrs H, seem to love their 'Israeli Posh & Becks' status, which is boosted by being a 'Premier League' player, regardless of how much game time he gets.

He is currently our best, most in-form, fit striker, and is likely in line to start on Saturday. He definitely thinks he should be.

He's post on instagram this morning, a montage of pictures of each of his performances this pre-season, captioned "Preseason is behind! 6#Games 3#Goals 2#Assists I'm ready! #Season 2018/19"

*taps nose*
Yes.
Seriously, though. He's a quality striker and he's playing no games here so it's not much of a leap for anyone.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Leo Ulloa is a downgrade on Tomer Hemed?

Was that posted by Ben's Grandad?

No.

Leo Ulloa at his best, is probably a better striker than Tomer Hemed.

But judging by Leo's sluggish performances for us on his loan spell, against Hemed's decent showing when called upon last season and all through this pre-season, I'd personally rather have Hemed, than bring in Leo, on more money.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
No.

But judging by Leo's sluggish performances for us on his loan spell, against Hemed's decent showing when called upon last season and all through this pre-season, I'd personally rather have Hemed, than bring in Leo, on more money.

Agreed

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
No.

There is no probably about it, it's very clear that in every aspect, Leo Ulloa is a better striker than Tomer Hemed. Tomer had his chance last season, and he didn't take it. He's not up to this level of football unless we want to be struggling at the wrong end of the table with no clear expectation to perform any better. I don't think it's reasonable to blame Leo for not setting the world alight given his very limited game time. If he had a full pre-season and then a run in the team, we'd see his true form.

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
There is no probably about it, it's very clear that in every aspect, Leo Ulloa is a better striker than Tomer Hemed. Tomer had his chance last season, and he didn't take it. He's not up to this level of football unless we want to be struggling at the wrong end of the table with no clear expectation to perform any better. I don't think it's reasonable to blame Leo for not setting the world alight given his very limited game time. If he had a full pre-season and then a run in the team, we'd see his true form.

Disagree he had time to get fit when he was with us. He looked slow, sluggish and generally not up to this standard.
Hemed even with a lack of game time will always do a good job when called upon.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
If Hemed goes, then I would be delighted to get Ulloa back on loan until January lets say, then look at things again.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Tomer had his chance last season, and he didn't take it. He's not up to this level of football unless we want to be struggling at the wrong end of the table with no clear expectation to perform any better. I don't think it's reasonable to blame Leo for not setting the world alight given his very limited game time.

Your position is utterly bizarre. Look at the two players' respective records for us last season! To claim Hemed 'didn't take his chance' and offer a Ulloa as an upgrade based on significantly WORSE performances and results, simply doesn't add up.

You LIKE one player more than the other - that's fine. We all have our favourites. But your assessment of the two players' recent Albion contributions is baffling.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
No.

Leo's first touch, hold up play and link up play is far better than Tomer's. With AK, Jose, Bissouma and Alireza buzzing around him he can be a sluggish as he likes. Tomer is decent, but doesn't have the same quality as Leo.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Leo's first touch, hold up play and link up play is far better than Tomer's. With AK, Jose, Bissouma and Alireza buzzing around him he can be a sluggish as he likes. Tomer is decent, but doesn't have the same quality as Leo.

Possibly. But he really can't afford to be 'as sluggish as he likes'. We have to be able to break quickly - even the target man needs the ability to get into his target zone reasonably quickly. Everything Leo has shown in about three years, suggests he can barely get above a jog for more than 45 minutes.

I was a huge fan of Leo's first time round, and have plenty of love left for the guy. I think a lot of people seem to be fondly remembering that spell, and judging his performances in the Championship, against Hemed's in the PL.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Your position is utterly bizarre. Look at the two players' respective records for us last season! To claim Hemed 'didn't take his chance' and offer a Ulloa as an upgrade based on significantly WORSE performances and results, simply doesn't add up.

You LIKE one player more than the other - that's fine. We all have our favourites. But your assessment of the two players' recent Albion contributions is baffling.

No, your position that Hemed is better is bizarre. It is obvious who the better player is, whether Leo was better than Hemed last season is debatable.

But I don't think you can argue Hemed took his chance. As soon as Murray was available, he was back in the team. As soon as we signed Leo, Hemed was out of the picture. I would say that makes it very clear that Hemed had not taken his chance to impress Hughton. He only played when nobody else was available.

Please don't misunderstand me though, I am not having a pop at Hemed. He worked hard every time he was in the team and you would never argue that he didn't give his all. In my opinion, he just doesn't have the quality to succeed at this level and we should be trying to cement ourselves as a Premier League team.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
No, your position that Hemed is better is bizarre. .

I think you need to read a bit more carefully.

whether Leo was better than Hemed last season is debatable.

Yes, obviously. Most engaged in this discussion, judging by the comments and thumbsup lean towards Hemed, in that argument.

But I don't think you can argue Hemed took his chance. As soon as Murray was available, he was back in the team.

Because Hemed was suspended you absolute clown.

Please don't misunderstand me though, I am not having a pop at Hemed. He worked hard every time he was in the team and you would never argue that he didn't give his all. In my opinion, he just doesn't have the quality to succeed at this level and we should be trying to cement ourselves as a Premier League team.

Now, if you think we need to upgrade Hemed - that is a perfectly valid argument. It's that you are sure the Leo Ulloa of 2018 would constitute an upgrade that I struggle with.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here