Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The Benchwarmer Exodus

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003

el punal

To be fair to Jiri and Norwood, they've always tried hard for us.

I mean, have you ever been to Hull ?

I have - twice! The first time was in the 1980s when we beat Hull 3-2 in the FA Cup. The second time was was the opening game of the 2012/13 season and we lost 1-0. Strange place, lovely station, friendly people, unfortunately, arse-end of the world. Not for me, Clive.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003

I went there for our 2-0 Friday night win at their old ground during the Withdean era. I also went to another event in Hull and had a few hours to spare so went to the KC Stadium to enjoy a pre-season friendly between Hull and AS Nancy, I say enjoy it was the worse game of football I’ve ever seen. Jiri and Olly would be right to stay away.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea

Yup, still have my "FISH OUT" poster as part of the Bad Ownership destroys football, can't remember the date. I know it's on the bottom of the poster but CBA to find it!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
How many do we actually have to get rid of - assuming we want a 25 man squad? Doing a quick bit of mental totting up, I think at present we have a potential 25 man squad - that is if we include Norwood and Skalak, who don't seem likely to get a game. That only leaves Towell out of the 25, and presumably he will go out on loan again for another year.

If we do 'get rid' of Norwood and Skalak, and get in the winger that CH has said he wants (whoever that is; for some totally irrational reason I'm hoping it's not Iranian Ali - file alongside Calleri for me), would we then go with a 24 man squad, plus youngsters to make up numbers in the event of dire emergency?

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..

I lived there for 5 years. Lovely place, fine people, Brian Horton playing for city'ull (it was some time ago now), 2 rugby league clubs who really hated each other, fascinating history, excellent pubs (if you know where to look), lovely towns and villages surrounding in the East Riding, day trips to Belgium and Holland on the ferry, ridiculous shopping centre built over Queens Dock, flat. Although the last time I visited about 7 years ago the city centre needed updating quite badly.

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc
How many do we actually have to get rid of - assuming we want a 25 man squad? Doing a quick bit of mental totting up, I think at present we have a potential 25 man squad - that is if we include Norwood and Skalak, who don't seem likely to get a game. That only leaves Towell out of the 25, and presumably he will go out on loan again for another year.

If we do 'get rid' of Norwood and Skalak, and get in the winger that CH has said he wants (whoever that is; for some totally irrational reason I'm hoping it's not Iranian Ali - file alongside Calleri for me), would we then go with a 24 man squad, plus youngsters to make up numbers in the event of dire emergency?

Assuming we get in a winger and a CB, and Suttner stays.

That leaves Norwood, Skalak, Towell, Normann, Tau and one of Baldock/Hemed outside the 25.

Assumption would be we would be looking for permanent moves away for all but Normann and Tau who will probably go on loan.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Assuming we get in a winger and a CB, and Suttner stays.

That leaves Norwood, Skalak, Towell, Normann, Tau and one of Baldock/Hemed outside the 25.

Assumption would be we would be looking for permanent moves away for all but Normann and Tau who will probably go on loan.
Normann has never been part of the 25 man squad, and we already know that Tau is discounted from the squad and will be going on loan. If we get a CB (my guess is that if we do it'll be a loan) and a winger (as CH says he wants), I reckon that would be Jiri and Norwood out, I suppose. Still with Sam and Tomer in the 25.

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc
Normann has never been part of the 25 man squad, and we already know that Tau is discounted from the squad and will be going on loan. If we get a CB (my guess is that if we do it'll be a loan) and a winger (as CH says he wants), I reckon that would be Jiri and Norwood out, I suppose. Still with Sam and Tomer in the 25.

Normann is now over 21 so would have to be included in the 25 if he stays, or be exiled only to the U23s. Similarly Ahannach (though he is long term injured). I think Collar and Barclay are close to this boundary too, but possibly that will be next year's problem. On balance I think another loan move is likely for Normann (unless he really impresses this preseason).

If we sign both a CB and a winger, both above 21 years old, and Suttner stays, there isn't room for both Baldock and Hemed. One will have to leave.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
If we sign both a CB and a winger, both above 21 years old, and Suttner stays, there isn't room for both Baldock and Hemed. One will have to leave.
So with Jiri and Norwood gone, and discounting the likes of non-first teamers like Normann, Tau and Towell, that'll make:
3 GKs
4 CBs
4 Fullbacks
1 Bernardo (utility defender)
4 CMs
4 wingers
5 forwards (Locadia, Andone, Murray, Baldock and Hemed)
-----
-----

......and I wish the effin' autocorrect wouldn't keep switching Andone to And one!

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc
So with Jiri and Norwood gone, and discounting the likes of non-first teamers like Normann, Tau and Towell, that'll make:
3 GKs
4 CBs
4 Fullbacks
1 Bernardo (utility defender)
4 CMs
4 wingers
5 forwards (Locadia, Andone, Murray, Baldock and Hemed)
-----
-----

......and I wish the effin' autocorrect wouldn't keep switching Andone to And one!

4CMs plus one Gross.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Bit of a snidey dig a Jiri

[tweet]1022032666592530433[/tweet]

I don't imagine there are too many mid table Championship teams with players that have Skalak's skills.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Bit of a snidey dig a Jiri

[tweet]1022032666592530433[/tweet]

I don't imagine there are too many mid table Championship teams with players that have Skalak's skills.

What surprises me is we are turning bids down !! I’d have thought we’d be happy to let him move on and re start his career elsewhere.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
What surprises me is we are turning bids down !! I’d have thought we’d be happy to let him move on and re start his career elsewhere.

Oh blimey please don't fall into BG style thinking.

The club will accept bids for him, just not the first bid.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014

I think Albion are. I'm guessing they'll push up the price if there are a number of offers around.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here