Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Aston Villa receive 'significant investment' from billionaires

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Not sure how much scope they have to spend shit loads. It's done a 3-year rolling basis now, is it not? They "went for it" last season and came unstuck - can't see they have much headroom to do the same again this season.

Contract players on £2,000 grand a week with a £5,000,000 promotion bonus.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I am going to laugh until my anus prolapses if they spunk more millions up the wall and miss out on promotion again.

*cough* rectum *cough*

Which is appropriate, on several different levels.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Bye-bye Steve Bruce. Hello Gianfranco Zola. Goodbye Gianfranco Zola. Hello Sam Allardyce. Goodbye Sam Allardyce. Hello Sven-Goran Eriksson. Goodbye Sven . . . . It’s now December 2018. :drink:

* Awaits John Terry to state he never wanted to leave Villa at the end of the season and would very much like a new contract thank you very much *

Aston Villa are the Barcelona of Birmingham!

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
It really does get more difficult season by season to get out of The Championship. That's why it's such a great league. There will hopefully always be one team who make it out by sheer hard graft & great football.

That won't be Villa.

albeit by driving a coach and horses through the apparently toothless FFP, many recent examples !

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Predicting who gets promoted from the Championship these days is like predicting the winning number on a roulette wheel. There are always the usual suspects - the teams who have just been relegated from the PL, the “BIG” clubs who seem to be in the eternal Hades of the Championship, the cash splashers with foreign owners who implode within weeks.

Just take your pick, place your bets, and good luck!

Hear what you are saying El Pu, and as mentioned it's just my opinion. I just think these two will get their act together. Not so much Swansea.

Just pleased we are not down there in the Championship (which sounds weird as for most of my Albion supporting life I used to dream about playing at the second level).

el punal

Hear what you are saying El Pu, and as mentioned it's just my opinion. I just think these two will get their act together. Not so much Swansea.

Just pleased we are not down there in the Championship (which sounds weird as for most of my Albion supporting life I used to dream about playing at the second level).

Never more apt is the expression ‘Onwards and Upwards’ to describe our progression. It truly is a dream come true when you consider where we were twenty years ago, and even ten years ago we were fighting relegation to League 2.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Not sure how much scope they have to spend shit loads. It's done a 3-year rolling basis now, is it not? They "went for it" last season and came unstuck - can't see they have much headroom to do the same again this season.

With billionaires in charge do you seriously think they give a two bob bit? So long as clubs are not relegated by default or docked points for FFP but get a few mill fine, do you think any of them will care?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
With billionaires in charge do you seriously think they give a two bob bit? So long as clubs are not relegated by default or docked points for FFP but get a few mill fine, do you think any of them will care?

Which is why EFL have changed the FFP submission date to 31 March. This allows them to assess the accounts before the season ends, and allocate sanctions, including points deductions before the season ends.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Which is why EFL have changed the FFP submission date to 31 March. This allows them to assess the accounts before the season ends, and allocate sanctions, including points deductions before the season ends.

How close are they to failing FFP ?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Are they going to dock points for late submission of accounts?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
According to a DULLARD in tonight’s Birmingham Mail they need £40m of cost savings and income from player sales.
But since it's losses over 3 years, they don't need to be meeting a requirement in the coming season do they?

And although FFP have brought forward the deadline for accounts to March, that will obviously be March the year after they've broken them. So I'd guess they can blow FFP for the next couple of years in a gamble to get promoted, and it won't affect them until after that. If not, why?

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Predicting who gets promoted from the Championship these days is like predicting the winning number on a roulette wheel. There are always the usual suspects - the teams who have just been relegated from the PL, the “BIG” clubs who seem to be in the eternal Hades of the Championship, the cash splashers with foreign owners who implode within weeks.

Just take your pick, place your bets, and good luck!

Yep - No bad thing to have an unpredictable league though. The sad thing is how much time we spend talking about football finance these days. I do hanker for a time when we didn't give a shite about the finances aside from when one's particular club either a) went on a spending spree or b) nearly went bust. All that said, it would be great to see a club becoming successful while living within their means, can't see it unfortunately.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
But since it's losses over 3 years, they don't need to be meeting a requirement in the coming season do they?

And although FFP have brought forward the deadline for accounts to March, that will obviously be March the year after they've broken them. So I'd guess they can blow FFP for the next couple of years in a gamble to get promoted, and it won't affect them until after that. If not, why?

Clubs ‘at danger’ of breaking FFP have to submit live accounts for the present year.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here