Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Why are we buying players who then play for someone else ?

brianwade

Jan 31, 2008
Delighted for Percy - he looks like a great guy - however he joins a long line of players we seem to buy who end up in the Under 23's and /or go out on loan .

Forgive me but what is the point if they do not make the first team squad ?
- presumably they come here with the belief they will make the first team .

History says that won't happen .

Perhaps we have another agenda - maybe he'll be playing for Tony's other team in Belgium . Anyway if anyone has any bright ideas as to why this is a good move for him and the club please feel free to contribute . And do you think he'll ever play for Brighton ? Doubt it .

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
They've clearly identified him as a talent, and at 24 (with 12 full caps and 5 goals), he's not just another wet-behind-the-ears teenager with no first team experience who would just disappear into our U23's black hole, never to be seen again.

The club have obviously made a big effort to get this guy on our books, even if it means loaning him out till he can get the requisite caps and experience for a work permit. Sounds like they think he'll be worth the wait, and given our recruitment teams track record of late, I'm more than happy to trust them on this one.

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc
Delighted for Percy - he looks like a great guy - however he joins a long line of players we seem to buy who end up in the Under 23's and /or go out on loan .

Forgive me but what is the point if they do not make the first team squad ?
- presumably they come here with the belief they will make the first team .

History says that won't happen .

Perhaps we have another agenda - maybe he'll be playing for Tony's other team in Belgium . Anyway if anyone has any bright ideas as to why this is a good move for him and the club please feel free to contribute . And do you think he'll ever play for Brighton ? Doubt it .

With Percy, the problem is that he doesn't currently qualify for a work permit. He will go on loan to a country where he does, until he fulfils enough of the criteria to qualify for a UK work permit. Then he will join our first team squad.

The U23 signings are something of a numbers game. 90% will never make it to the first team at PL level, but all we need is one or two for it to be a worthwhile endeavour (compare how much Dunk is worth to us now, to how much an U23 signing costs). It is also worth noting that if these players develop we can also make profit selling them to clubs further down the ladder, as Chelsea have done for years.

The point of sending the U23s out on loan all the time is to develop them and prove what level of competitive football they can play at. If they succeed, maybe they will eventually develop to a point where they can be integrated into a PL squad. If they don't show enough potential they can be sold on.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
No idea what the plans for Percy are but we do seem to be making a business of getting in young talent, shipping them out on loan and then selling them for what I presume is a decent profit.. It’s what the big boys do too.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Cos we is now a BIG club.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Probably the thing that f*cks me off the most about nsc is people repeatedly referring to the 'u23 black hole'. Idiots.

Sent from my GT-I8262 using Tapatalk

Idiot here, reporting for duty...SAH.

If you can point me in the general direction of a striker from the BHAFC U23 squad who has signed, developed, and then gone on to flourish either here or elsewhere, then I am all ears.

Thankfully Tau is swerving that particular twilight zone.

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Cos we is now a BIG club.

Yup, we can now sign international players, knowing we can't play them, and farm them out until they're ready.

We've come a LONG way from the days when we got all excited about signing rejects from Championship clubs.

The Gem

Oct 17, 2008
Work permit

I'm sure I read somewhere he has work visa problems.

With Percy, the problem is that he doesn't currently qualify for a work permit. He will go on loan to a country where he does, until he fulfils enough of the criteria to qualify for a UK work permit. Then he will join our first team squad.

The U23 signings are something of a numbers game. 90% will never make it to the first team at PL level, but all we need is one or two for it to be a worthwhile endeavour (compare how much Dunk is worth to us now, to how much an U23 signing costs). It is also worth noting that if these players develop we can also make profit selling them to clubs further down the ladder, as Chelsea have done for years.

The point of sending the U23s out on loan all the time is to develop them and prove what level of competitive football they can play at. If they succeed, maybe they will eventually develop to a point where they can be integrated into a PL squad. If they don't show enough potential they can be sold on.

He should of hidden away in an HGV enroute to the UK, or got on a boat and come through Europe, then he would be able to play for us straight away !!!!!:):whistle::whistle:

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
He should of hidden away in an HGV enroute to the UK, or got on a boat and come through Europe, then he would be able to play for us straight away !!!!!:):whistle::whistle:
While receiving a plush council house and getting £1000 a week state benefit.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard

If you can point me in the general direction of a striker from the BHAFC U23 squad who has signed, developed, and then gone on to flourish either here or elsewhere, then I am all ears.

This is EXACTLY my point.

We've been a premier league team with a top academy for precisely 12 months, and you want us to have already produced strikers that are excelling in someone's first team.

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc

I see that you have purposefully specified strikers because you know that is the area we've had the least success. Off the top of my head only Brennan Dickenson is playing in the football league having come through our academy. If you had said defenders, we have Dunk, Cook, Elphick, Lynch and Hall all playing Championship level or higher (and potentially White if a loan move materialises, while Hunt was rumoured to be interesting Forest and Wigan).

But how are you supposed to change that trajectory immediately overnight without investment over a period of time? As far as I can see there is clear progress, and in the next few years I expect a couple of Walton, White, Molumby, Sanders, Cox or Sanchez to become first team players.

We are a PL club, only the most extraordinary teenagers will be jumping straight into our first team. We have no Mbappe, Rashford or Sessegnon, so these players must develop elsewhere first :shrug:.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006

Why specfically a striker? We have plenty of talented players in our current Under 23 team. Same old argument, if you can't see the value and benefit of the under 23 team then there is no point in discussing it.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here