Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Your Scottish Club and why?

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
My Gran was born in Cowdenbeath so I also pop up and watch the Blue Brazil when working in Dunfermline.

At that level you tend to work with youngsters that have been in the huge old firm youth systems and play for the lower league Scottish teams or with their parents who think they are just a shot away from the big time.

Central Park is a bonkers ground. It has a banger racing track around it, an open terrace where I like to stand with a very old school snack bar. Away and home fans mix and I have seen some heated arguments and punch ups. Supporters take pet dogs and you can also walk around and sit on the stand if it rains.

I have no idea why this video is so long but it shows its glamour. They just avoided relegation to the highland league for the second time, scapping through a two leg play off. I hope their fortune improves this season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_LFWDjkpEk

What is that a go kart track? what a dive.

Huge respect to fans of such clubs, who have virtually no chance of the upper echelons and yet still follow through thin and thin.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I’m sure I’ve posted on here, but Motherwell can do one! Scum! [emoji3]

(And it’s all because my Mum and I used to look out for the Accies and Stenhousemuir results during final score when I was about 5-years-old.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Iroquois Boy

Dec 30, 2013
East Fife - dad was from Buckhaven - he was the youngest of 9 children and once he left to do National service he never went back - said the place was a $hitholel - but he never fell out of love with the fifers and would often mention the Scottish cup winning team of the 1939. My brother and I went to Bayview shortly after my dad's death - as an homage to the old boy - and I can confirm the place really is a dump.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I expect I already posted this, but Hibernian for me. When I started watching the Albion in the sixties, Hibs had the same shirts as us except in Green and White rather than Blue and White. Good enough reason for me!

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Dunfermline FC - I thought it was an ointment until I was on holiday in Lloret in the early 70s and they were there for a pre season friendly against a Ruud Krol XI. May have been his XI but he didn’t show up! The cheap booze made all this acceptable, as did the half time entertainment of drunks pretending to kick a ball around the goalmouth.

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Ilkley
The only other club I have a remote passing interest in is Aberystwyth Town as I used to watch them when doing my degree in the late 1980s

Clubs in jockoland, not a bl**dy chance!:tosser:

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
.Been to one or two as in Ayr United,Stranraer,QoS along with East Stirlingshire,Stenny even Elgin City but it has to be Brechin City.:cheers:

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Hibernian.

Back in the late 80s/early 90s I loved the Channel 4 sketch show Absolutely. Jack Docherty was a cast member and several sketches suggested his liking for the Hi-Bees.

I spotted him on the old Goldstone North Stand terrace when I was watching us play against Plymouth Argyle. I forget the exact year but it must have been 90 or 91. I sheepishly approached him and he was thoroughly pleasant. Said he liked to watch Brighton from time to time, as he was London based, couldn’t easily see Hibs and had a friend who was a Seagull. He even signed my copy of Gull’s Eye.

AA9D1564-1B67-4267-93DB-55AFEB372097.jpeg

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I’ve only been to Scotland once, my daughter was competing for Wales in a home nations gymnastics competition in Perth. St Johnstone are the local professional team to Perth, so them. Perth was a nice town.

:lolol:

Tiptoe through the NSC

Sep 13, 2017
St. Leonards-on-Sea
Did Malpas play later on?

That was one of our snowiest and coldest winters. Must’ve been plenty of match postponements and incredibly cold in Dundee in general?

According to his Wiki page he signed for Dundee United in 1979, so unlikely to have played before I left the city. It was indeed very cold, but they did sell excellent Bovril at Tannadice which helped. It was too hot to handle at the start of half-time but freezing cold if you hadn't drunk it before the game restarted. I do remember the height of the piles of snow that the snowploughs left behind them on New Years Eve. Two Kjell Scherpen's would have struggled to see over them.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
According to his Wiki page he signed for Dundee United in 1979, so unlikely to have played before I left the city. It was indeed very cold, but they did sell excellent Bovril at Tannadice which helped. It was too hot to handle at the start of half-time but freezing cold if you hadn't drunk it before the game restarted. I do remember the height of the piles of snow that the snowploughs left behind them on New Years Eve. Two Kjell Scherpen's would have struggled to see over them.

I went to tons of Scottish stadia between 1988 and 1994, many of them since gone, replaced by shiny Lego stadia eg Airdrieonians.

I remember the pies - mince meat in shortcrust pastry. Delicious.

MTSeagulls

Sep 18, 2019
I had no interest in Scottish football but then after, I think, a long dominance by Celtic led me to supporting, from afar at least, Rangers. Not least because of reports about how much Danny Mcgrain hated the English.
I then went through in my early 30s a bit of an identity crisis, as many English born people of an Irish parent do sometimes and I started supporting Celtic for a few years. It was mid 90s and being Irish seemed fashionable at the time.
I soon grew out of it, many plastics didn't, but now I am back to having no interest in it whatsoever.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
Celtic or Rangers, depending on who wins the league. Was Aberdeen for a couple of seasons in the 80's but settled on either of the Glasgow two for now. :)

Depends upon which you wish to support, Rangers, the Union and the Monarchy OR the 'alternative' which supports the SNP and the IRA.

Make up your own minds !

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here