Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Your Scottish Club and why?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Kilmarnock - because they play in blue and white stripes and because Rugby Park is a cool name for a ground.

It's an added bonus that they now have Gordon Greer and Gary Dicker playing for them

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I was based at Rosyth for about 6 years in total, it was too far, and too expensive to come home every weekend I wasn’t working, so, if we weren’t playing oop north, I’d go to either Dunfermline or the Jambos.
Only Hearts, not the Hibbees, a mate on my first ship up there, told me I wasn’t allowed to watch them.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I picked my Scottish team in the 60's. Hibernian had the same shirt as us at the time, except we had blue and white and they had green and white. So it had to be Hibs, I even had the Subbuteo team.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Another Hibs here - after my parents divorced when I was seven, we had a lodger move in with my dad and he was very good to me. He was a Hibs fan, and I've followed them from afar ever since.

Leegull

Apr 7, 2016
Berwick Rangers - cos they're in England!

(and technically still at war with Prussia, I think).

This, I’ve looked out for their results for 25+ years and to be honest I can’t remember a successful season in all that time :lolol:

Always followed them because they were in England but mainly because of Andy Fitzgerald. I played Sunday league football with him in Lewes many years ago, he lived and worked in Lewes (on the railway from memory) but he had a season ticket at Berwick Rangers and used to go to most of their home games! He even sponsored one of their players!

Give my earlier comment about lack of success, I can’t imagine that many people from Berwick went to watch them, so I was in awe of someone who travelled 800+ miles to and from every home game!

He was absolutely crackers, not sure what happened to him, the last I heard he was running the Gardeners Arms in Lewes but that was a while back... thanks Andy for my passing interest in the results of Berwick Rangers :bowdown:

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I'm not into any of that sectarian ****, but I became quite an avid armchair Rangers fan during their 1993 Champions League campaign and followed them during Gazza's years up there. Still always look for their result, but nothing more. Suppose they'd still have to be my Scottish team.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Can't say I have a Scottish team, although I do like the fact that Scotland was the first country in Europe to have two towns/cities which hosted two clubs to have got to a European Cup / Champions League semi-final - Glasgow and Dundee.

Only England can match that now - London and Manchester.

No other country has had more than one city where two teams have made it that far.

Spain - Madrid
Italy - Milan
Serbia / Yugoslavia - Belgrade
Austria - Vienna
Czechia - Prague
Romania - Bucharest
Hungary - Budapest

Crispy Ambulance

May 27, 2010
Burgess Hill
This, I’ve looked out for their results for 25+ years and to be honest I can’t remember a successful season in all that time :lolol:

Always followed them because they were in England but mainly because of Andy Fitzgerald. I played Sunday league football with him in Lewes many years ago, he lived and worked in Lewes (on the railway from memory) but he had a season ticket at Berwick Rangers and used to go to most of their home games! He even sponsored one of their players!

Give my earlier comment about lack of success, I can’t imagine that many people from Berwick went to watch them, so I was in awe of someone who travelled 800+ miles to and from every home game!

He was absolutely crackers, not sure what happened to him, the last I heard he was running the Gardeners Arms in Lewes but that was a while back... thanks Andy for my passing interest in the results of Berwick Rangers :bowdown:

'We' are shockingly bad! Although beat Rangers in the cup in the 60's and I recall a promotion from the bottom tier within the last 15 years or so. But came straight back down!

Fair play to your mate, that's one heck of a trek!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Partick Thistle. Was born just down the road from Firhill. Dad started taking me from the age of 5 and lifted me over the turnstiles til the age of 12 (handful of coppers passed across the grille to turnstile guy) at which point I had to gently point out to him that I was about five foot tall and it was getting to be a bit of a squeeze. We did then try experimenting with me crawling UNDER the turnstiles, but this was soon deemed to be a bit of a non-starter, mainly on account of the accumulated puddles that were a feature for most of the year. Was a bit of a mixed blessing shortly after when dad knackered his knee playing non league football and could barely walk. So me (and my brother) were allowed to to travel the length and breadth of Scotland watching The Maryhill Magyars, on trains jam-packed with Auld Firm fans. They'd pat us on the head and give us sweeties. Was a pretty carefree time, and even more economical than being lifted over the turnstiles. Dad worked for the railways so we got issued with Privilege Tickets for free train travel. Plus we swiftly became adroit at loitering outside the ground an hour before kick-off and getting complimentary tickets off the Thistle players - who appeared to be given handfuls of tickets each without any realistic hope of being able to give them away. So, although I was as ardent a Partick Thistle as they come during my formative years, I feel a slight twinge of guilt that i never put any money into the club coffers other than buying one single scarf and a regular programme and a Macaroon bar :blush:

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
Partick Thistle. Was born just down the road from Firhill. Dad started taking me from the age of 5 and lifted me over the turnstiles til the age of 12 (handful of coppers passed across the grille to turnstile guy) at which point I had to gently point out to him that I was about five foot tall and it was getting to be a bit of a squeeze. We did then try experimenting with me crawling UNDER the turnstiles, but this was soon deemed to be a bit of a non-starter, mainly on account of the accumulated puddles that were a feature for most of the year. Was a bit of a mixed blessing shortly after when dad knackered his knee playing non league football and could barely walk. So me (and my brother) were allowed to to travel the length and breadth of Scotland watching The Maryhill Magyars, on trains jam-packed with Auld Firm fans. They'd pat us on the head and give us sweeties. Was a pretty carefree time, and even more economical than being lifted over the turnstiles. Dad worked for the railways so we got issued with Privilege Tickets for free train travel. Plus we swiftly became adroit at loitering outside the ground an hour before kick-off and getting complimentary tickets off the Thistle players - who appeared to be given handfuls of tickets each without any realistic hope of being able to give them away. So, although I was as ardent a Partick Thistle as they come during my formative years, I feel a slight twinge of guilt that i never put any money into the club coffers other than buying one single scarf and a regular programme and a Macaroon bar :blush:

Hey that macaroon bar may have kept them afloat :lolol:

Rangers for me, grew up in Cathcart in Glasgow and even though I had next to no interest in football at a very young age, was always told where my allegiances lay, no choice in the matter.

Moved to Brighton when I was 8 and that's when my love of football really started, went to the Goldstone with a couple of mates from Carden junior school and so began my love affair.

Moved back to Scotland in my 30's for over a decade and although I fully intended to go and watch the Gers regularly, after a couple of games I realised the feeling wasn't really there.

Now it's really no more than a passing interest, don't even look for their results.

Brighton til I die.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Dundee FC.

Went to Uni there 1986-1990 so was fortunate to be able to trek up to Dens Road to see a match every week at either the Ds or The Arabs (Utd).

I didn't have any real allegiance at the start but Utd were a bit of a JCL club supported by kids whereas Dundee was the traditionally strong club in the City with an older (and tough, rock hard) supporter base.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
My son lives in Forres, so whenever I'm visiting I try and get along to support Forres Mechanics who play in the Highland League.
I also try and get along to watch Inverness Caledonian Thistle when possible. Their mascot is based on the Loch Ness Monster and has to be the best named mascot ever.....

fullsizeoutput_7cdb.jpeg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here