Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Your Scottish Club and why?

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Hamilton Academical. Obviously!

Why?

It goes back to when I was a young boy. My Mum and I would watch the classified football results. For some reason we loved the names Hamilton Academical and Stenhousemuir. Over time, I found myself looking out for these results - after the Albion (well Liverpool actually - I didn't get into the Albion until 1977.)

Gradually, I started to lean towards Hamilton. I had this image in my mind of some grand university town, with impressive buildings akin to Oxford (ps Hamilton is nothing like that.)

I made my first trip to New Douglas Park 4 years ago (so it took me around 40 years to get round to it.)

The Accies are hanging onto SPL survival. Miraculously, still living off the Alex Neil glory years.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
fairly recently discovered I once had relatives that lived in Uddingston

which could explain my love of Tunnock's Tea Cakes :lol:

had a quick look,I think Albion Rovers is the nearest ground to there?

I'm from Uddingston ( well the council estate slightly to the north of it ) - The nearest ground to centre of Uddingston would be Hamilton Academicals. The nearest ground to me was Motherwell which could get the 240 bus to it.

Uddingston is the first village as you go into South Lanarkshire. I was over the border in North Lanarkshire. Back then buses didn't cross between South Lanarkshire and North Lanarkshire, as bus companies were run by different Councils. Only the number 4 which ran between Uddingston and Motherwell. Hence Uddingston people were split between Hamilton and Motherwell.

You most definitely could not get a bus between Uddingston and Coatbridge ( where Albion Rovers play).

So you need to change to Hamilton or Motherwell !!!!

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
I'm from Uddingston ( well the council estate slightly to the north of it ) - The nearest ground to centre of Uddingston would be Hamilton Academicals. The nearest ground to me was Motherwell which could get the 240 bus to it.

Uddingston is the first village as you go into South Lanarkshire. I was over the border in North Lanarkshire. Back then buses didn't cross between South Lanarkshire and North Lanarkshire, as bus companies were run by different Councils. Only the number 4 which ran between Uddingston and Motherwell. Hence Uddingston people were split between Hamilton and Motherwell.

You most definitely could not get a bus between Uddingston and Coatbridge ( where Albion Rovers play).

So you need to change to Hamilton or Motherwell !!!!

interesting stuff!

the Accies it is then :thumbsup:

got some happy memories from Hamilton,Ontario

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
In 1968 or 1969 the Hotspur magazine published a flimsy pull out magazine at the start of the football season with drawings (not photos) of all teams first teams kits.

This was when the Albion played in blue shirts with white sleeves.

Being a junior school kid I decided I'd also support all the other teams with similar style kits. Hence ever since I've liked Arsenal (red) and Hibernian (green) with their white sleeves. Also Albion Rovers (yellow) with white sleeves. I've seen Hibs home and away a few times too.

For some reason the white sleeve thing never worked for me with the Massive Blue white sleeves outfit. Phew!

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Hamilton Accies , because my granny came from there and Brechin City, who were perennial strugglers , but seem to be a little more successful now.
Don't know why I like Brechin, but I just got interested in them years ago.

Tiptoe through the NSC

Sep 13, 2017
St. Leonards-on-Sea
Dundee United. I spent the 1978/79 season in the town and had the pleasure of seeing Ray Stewart (later of West Ham), David Narey (scorer of that goal against Brazil), Paul Sturrock (Plymouth Argyle legend) and Hamish McAlpine (the penalty taking goalkeeper) et al narrowly miss out on the title. Great days and excellent Bovril too.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Dundee United. I spent the 1978/79 season in the town and had the pleasure of seeing Ray Stewart (later of West Ham), David Narey (scorer of that goal against Brazil), Paul Sturrock (Plymouth Argyle legend) and Hamish McAlpine (the penalty taking goalkeeper) et al narrowly miss out on the title. Great days and excellent Bovril too.

Did Malpas play later on?

That was one of our snowiest and coldest winters. Must’ve been plenty of match postponements and incredibly cold in Dundee in general?

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
Hearts, I’ve lived in Scotland for 40 years and support them only marginally less than us. I had a season ticket for a few years before moving to Glasgow which makes it more difficult.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

I had the good fortune - from a football viewpoint - to have lived in Dundee from 86/87 to 89/90. Arguably, one of the best times for Scottish domestic football with the English revolution at Rangers under Souness, the great double-winning Celtic side of 87/88 under Billy McNeill but also Dundee Utd's exciting cup runs that saw them reach the final of the 1987 UEFA Cup and 1987 Scottish Cup, both of which I attended.

Not only that but Dundee had some decent players too and ended one season with a remarkable 7-3 victory over Hamilton.

The great thing about Dundee having two teams on the same road is it was football every Saturday for me. I supported both of them.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
As a kid/teenager I used to like Celtic because they had some of my favorite Swedish players like Magnus Hedman (who was good in Coventry but shite in Celtic), Johan Mjällby (top class defender, hard as steel) and Henrik Larsson (probably doesnt need an introduction).

A big part of my heart has always belonged to Dutch football though, so I sort of enjoyed Rangers as well as they had half a dozen Dutch players. But whenever they met Celtic I would hope that Celtic won.

As time moved on I didnt like the development of any of those clubs. To me Celtic is the most wasteful club in Europe. They could have built a great dynasty in a calm and collected matter once Rangers were sent down to the third division, but they just threw it away. Spent all of the years cruising rather than building.

Never developed any sort of liking (or disliking) for any of the other clubs. It was fun to follow Hearts during their Lithuanian years though, a very strange experiment.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Should be Rangers for two reasons, one we were originally Brighton & Hove Rangers.

two when I lived in Camden, we got to know a "face" on the scene, he was from Belfast and supported Rangers, we agreed to go and to watch a Rangers v Celtic game with him at the Cock Tavern in Smithfields market, probably back in 1999 or something like that anyway Rangers won 3 or 4 nil and the place went Feckin mental atmosphere, drums, sectarian songs the whole nine yards, not for my liking and we never went back.

If I was picking a Scottish monkey tennis team, it would have to be Partick Thistle, only because as a child I loved this kit....

Attachments

• zgo1294_1.jpg
    zgo1294_1.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 60

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here