Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] What's the most oppressive regime you've ever visited?

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
And in answer to the question, the Soviet Union under Brezhnev, 1980. Just after the Moscow Olympics. The only holiday I've ever been on where we had an 'official guide' to accompany us everywhere.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Spain in Franco’s time. Had a plainclothes policeman pull a gun on me because I told him to bugger off (not knowing he was a policeman obviously)

Being arrested on a random drug search and taken to a police station and being told to get a haircut :lolol:

I’m sure Eastern Bloc countries were considerably worse but never visited them.

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen
Though I haven't been for a long time, I was struck by the discrepancy between local and international news coverage in Indonesia, which is a type of oppression. You couldn't discuss politics with local people, and there was a quasi military police presence in the smallest of places.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Saudi Arabia about 16/17 years ago. Watching a man getting beaten in the street by the Muttawah for not attending prayers, segregated restaurants, no women driving or seen working........and being invited to Chop Chop Square to watch the punishments being meted out. Er, no thanks mate, you’re alright.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Saudi Arabia about 16/17 years ago. Watching a man getting beaten in the street by the Muttawah for not attending prayers, segregated restaurants, no women driving or seen working........and being invited to Chop Chop Square to watch the punishments being meted out. Er, no thanks mate, you’re alright.

Probably why I got my 5K and 10K PBs out there......

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Chile and Argentina in the early 1970s.
Beautiful countries, unbeautiful regimes.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Modern Britain.

Ok it's not really oppressive, but for those of us who remember the free 'n' easy days of the 60s and 70s living in modern Britain with all its rules and regulations is like being a pupil in a very strict boarding school.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Though I haven't been for a long time, I was struck by the discrepancy between local and international news coverage in Indonesia, which is a type of oppression. You couldn't discuss politics with local people, and there was a quasi military police presence in the smallest of places.

I spent quite a while in Indonesia during the time of "President" (Dictator really) Suharto, and it was true that most people on the surface (probably out of fear) claimed to have blind faith in the ruling Golkar party. But you could always find a few who would tell you what they really thought about the "korupsi" that was rife throughout the system. One guy gave me quite a detailed price list (long since forgotten) about how much it cost to buy yourself a government job or get someone killed...

The only place you could sense real fear and oppression, however, was in East Timor, which was then still under illegal Indonesian occupation. A few people there started to talk to us on occasion, but were always on edge and quick to disappear at the slightest sign of a problem. But even then, Dili was really just a sleepy little laid-back fishing port (or so it appeared to an outsider - I'm sure the people living there were having a shit time).

In reference to your point about international news coverage. My wife and I were two of only about 6 foreigners who were in Dili during the first anniversary of the "Santa Cruz massacre". It did make us laugh when we listened to the BBC World Service reporting the anniversary on the radio. The reporter was banging on about the military being posted on every street corner in Dili and tensions running high - yet he was filing his report from 2,000km away in his hotel bar in Jakarta. There were military about, but only a handful and no more so than any other day.

Moreover, most of said military were originally from Bali and a pretty mild bunch. I found this out when we got the bus back to West Timor, and at a roadblock checkpoint on the edge of Dili one of them demanded to see the 'surat jalan' (travel permit) that we didn't have. I just looked him in the eye and told him we didn't need one. I've still got no idea whether that was true or not, but clearly he didn't know either, as instead of arresting us he just went 'er, OK' and proceeded to ask us about how much we'd enjoyed his home island...

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
And in answer to the question, the Soviet Union under Brezhnev, 1980. Just after the Moscow Olympics. The only holiday I've ever been on where we had an 'official guide' to accompany us everywhere.

I had a similar experience doing a (much to my new wife's surprise) honeymoon trip to Leningrad and Moscow in 1988. We were corralled around on trips in Leningrad, always with a shifty looking bloke tagging along - we struck out on our own more in Moscow.

But my most oppressive regime trip has to be a business trip to the goldfields of Uzbekistan in the early 1990s. Tashkent was still incredibly Soviet and was already ruled by Islam Karimov who ruled with an iron fist until his death in 2016.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
I had a similar experience doing a (much to my new wife's surprise) honeymoon trip to Leningrad and Moscow in 1988. We were corralled around on trips in Leningrad, always with a shifty looking bloke tagging along - we struck out on our own more in Moscow.

In 88 I went there and found it the other way around. Might just have been culture shock in Moscow and then feeling a bit more confident/ cocky / drunk when we got to Leningrad.

Anyway, back to the original question, Lords for a test match.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Tunisia in the 90s. Security was very restrictive, no photography from the airport to the resort. That said, they failed to stop the terrorist massacre that happened at our resort some years later :eek: Outside the resort, on the beach lots of youth harrassing tourist females so a bit shitty overall.

Hungary before the fall of communism was drab but not opressive. Gypsy children begging in the market at Budapest.

Singapore ten years ago - weird. The Singapore Chinese absolutely don't look anyone in the eye. And the chewing gum thing....people would look nervously in my direction if they saw me chewing...

All of these are a bit odd but nothing especially oppressive, unlike some of the other stuff recounted on this thread.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
Communist Poland. Almost arrested for not having my ticket validated on a Warsaw tram.

Similar experience in Bratislava just after the collapse, although I suspect they were not real police or just making a bit of extra cash but was never going to argue.

To the original question easy one to answer Saudi Arabia.

Seagull kimchi

Oct 8, 2010
Korea and India
Fell for an immigration scam at the Chang Kong crossing to Lao. When they issue your visa they don't tell you to then get an entry stamp so we went off without it. When it came to leave Lao they drag me into an office and lay it on thick - illegal entry, possible prison time or pay a £200 fine now. I was 3 days from flying home after a year trip and had about £50 to my name - after 10 mins of discussion and me whispering to my girlfriend to turn on the waterworks (never fails) we got them down to 500 bhat each.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Communist Poland. Almost arrested for not having my ticket validated on a Warsaw tram.

Enjoyed two recent trips to Poland. The Poles hated living under communism just as much as the Nazi rule believe it or not

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Fell for an immigration scam at the Chang Kong crossing to Lao. When they issue your visa they don't tell you to then get an entry stamp so we went off without it. When it came to leave Lao they drag me into an office and lay it on thick - illegal entry, possible prison time or pay a £200 fine now. I was 3 days from flying home after a year trip and had about £50 to my name - after 10 mins of discussion and me whispering to my girlfriend to turn on the waterworks (never fails) we got them down to 500 bhat each.

My missus brother had the same issue with a Visa problem. Think it was Vietnam or a neighboring country. He was jailed briefly, beaten, and had his moped taken off him.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
In reference to your point about international news coverage. My wife and I were two of only about 6 foreigners who were in Dili during the first anniversary of the "Santa Cruz massacre". It did make us laugh when we listened to the BBC World Service reporting the anniversary on the radio. The reporter was banging on about the military being posted on every street corner in Dili and tensions running high - yet he was filing his report from 2,000km away in his hotel bar in Jakarta. There were military about, but only a handful and no more so than any other day.

I've learned to take BBC News coverage with a massive pinch of salt in more recent times. We were returning from holiday in France making our way to Calais (Eurotunnel) when I received a few texts from people in the UK, warning me of chaos in Calais.
We got there to find it quite normal without any riots bonfires or disturbances.
Two hours later we arrive home to witness reporting from Calais showing bonfires and immigrants running amok all over the motorways.

The bonfires were the ferry workers who were striking (as they are wont to do on a regular basis) and the rioting pictures were library shots from the days of Sangatte.

I emailed the BBC to complain about their coverage, but it was ignored.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Enjoyed two recent trips to Poland. The Poles hated living under communism just as much as the Nazi rule believe it or not

I would imagine Not Andy Naylor would know quite a bit about Poland, given his family background.

Bognor Bystander

Looking for a new job
Oct 7, 2010
Bognor Regis
Most oppressive I can think of would be a school friends house in early 70's - his Mum ran the place like a showhome. Shoes off by the door, wash your hands, don't touch anything, don't eat anything and even had to run back home to go for a pee. Mum didn't let me go back ! :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here