Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] What's the most oppressive regime you've ever visited?

phoenix

May 18, 2009
Centenary House Worthing :eek: I was a naughty boy :)

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Soviet Russia

Being arrested by the KGB didn't help make things any easier - the most terrifying experience of my life

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Oman.A lovely country and people,but the harshness of Sharia law and the treatment of women terrible.There was a war on in the part of the country I was in,but R & R in Muscat proved to be no different.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Enjoyed two recent trips to Poland. The Poles hated living under communism just as much as the Nazi rule believe it or not

When I was a student (early 1980's) a mate of mine (fellow Student on my Course & fellow Biker) lived in Melton Mowbray while has a large Polish contingent who like Andy's Dad, worked at Pedigree Petfoods. I went to stay one summer for a few days & found out three things about Poles:

1. They had an incredible work ethic (unlike me Mr Zarebski worked all his holidays cleaning dog shit out of the kennels at Pedigree Petfoods). Hence the reason he had a spanking new Suzuki GSX750 and I had a 250 Honda.
2. They were incredibly hard drinkers - one night on the Polski Vodka down at the Polish Social Club was the first and last time I tried keeping up with them.
3. They disliked the Germans but absolutely LOATHED the Russians. Just mentioning Brezhnev would cause offence unless you also said what an ******** he was. This was also the time that Solidarity had formed and was being suppressed.

A final thing I remember was Andy's two Cousins who were of similar age to him, one was in San Diego and the other was back in Poland. As mentioned Andy had a new Suzuki 750, his Cousin in the USA had a Corvette and the one in Poland rode a pushbike. If you ever needed a critique of Capitalism vs. Communism it was there in a snapshot!

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
I spent some time in Syria - lovely, lovely people and Damascus was a beautiful place. Murals of Asad (senior) everywhere.

Remember that the current President Asad wasn't even meant to be President - I believe he was training to be an eye surgeon in London when his elder brother was killed in a car crash.

I Stopped off in Aleppo on the way back - won't be doing that trip again in the foreseeable.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
When I was a student (early 1980's) a mate of mine (fellow Student on my Course & fellow Biker) lived in Melton Mowbray while has a large Polish contingent who like Andy's Dad, worked at Pedigree Petfoods. I went to stay one summer for a few days & found out three things about Poles:

1. They had an incredible work ethic (unlike me Mr Zarebski worked all his holidays cleaning dog shit out of the kennels at Pedigree Petfoods). Hence the reason he had a spanking new Suzuki GSX750 and I had a 250 Honda.
2. They were incredibly hard drinkers - one night on the Polski Vodka down at the Polish Social Club was the first and last time I tried keeping up with them.
3. They disliked the Germans but absolutely LOATHED the Russians. Just mentioning Brezhnev would cause offence unless you also said what an ******** he was. This was also the time that Solidarity had formed and was being suppressed.

A final thing I remember was Andy's two Cousins who were of similar age to him, one was in San Diego and the other was back in Poland. As mentioned Andy had a new Suzuki 750, his Cousin in the USA had a Corvette and the one in Poland rode a pushbike. If you ever needed a critique of Capitalism vs. Communism it was there in a snapshot!
The Russians have a history of oppressing the Poles that goes back centuries. It isn't simply the fact that they had communism foisted upon them.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
worst "holiday" i had was back packing in morrocco in 84 ...was there for a month , nightmare from start to finish , bunked into Algeria for a rest in the end .

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
In the late 70s - kicking my ball over a hedge into a gypsy encampment.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Went to Brussels, the great Satan.... Was quite nice.

BlockDpete

Oct 8, 2005
Egypt back in the 90's. Has police cars following us everywhere. Armed convoys , and weapons everywhere. Still had a great time.

Went to Vietnam in 2015, other than some interesting posters, it felt OK. In fact on my Mekong Delta tour, the local guide made a speech on the coach telling us Vietnam would have been so much better had the South won the war, giving South Korea as an example. Couldn't help thinking he might be getting a knock on the door early next morning....

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Saudi Arabia about 16/17 years ago. Watching a man getting beaten in the street by the Muttawah for not attending prayers, segregated restaurants, no women driving or seen working........and being invited to Chop Chop Square to watch the punishments being meted out. Er, no thanks mate, you’re alright.

Was caned out of a watch shop in 1979 because i was waiting for substantial change and refusing to leave until I got it, by the square to watch some poor sod. Didnt see it, but heard it still. Also got caned in Riyadh with a mate, for taking pictures of an ancient building. They seemed to be saying, take pictures of the modern buildings. I think. Who knows.
We also had a riot on our worksite (KKMC), where people were killed, and they brought the Saudi National Guard in. Being roughly woken by somebody with a machinegun pointing it at your face is fairly oppressive.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here