Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Made to measure golf clubs

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
One of the best tips I had, and it is logical if you think about it is the height of your tee. If you set a short tee high, always play it as an extra club. I hit a 8 iron about 170 yards, so it is useful to practice with various t lengths.

To take your point, I am happy if the driver isn't working, to use a 4 iron, which I get around 200, but at the moment on hard dry ground 230. That then means on many courses, that is 4 iron and nine or wedge.

The game is very much a mental one!

I hate the first tee, after that I'm fine.

Recently went to a Corporate "do", they announced the first four-ball, I was in that, and then the first player .... yep, me!

So I'm stood at The Belfry, first tee, and the Club Sec and a few others to see us off along with a group of about 24 from the "do", great.

Luckily I said to myself just hit it, forget distance, forget the Par, forget trying, just hit it straight and, more by luck than judgement, it went about 140 yds straight down the fairway, I was very happy (not far I know, but I didn't look a tit either!)

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
One of the best tips I had, and it is logical if you think about it is the height of your tee. If you set a short tee high, always play it as an extra club. I hit a 8 iron about 170 yards, so it is useful to practice with various t lengths.

To take your point, I am happy if the driver isn't working, to use a 4 iron, which I get around 200, but at the moment on hard dry ground 230. That then means on many courses, that is 4 iron and nine or wedge.

The game is very much a mental one!

I tend to leave the driver in the bag as on my course it is generally only the par 5's that cant be reached in 2. Position is key from the tee on every hole so its a 4 or 5 iron and as you say 230 with a 4 iron is becoming common in these conditions!!

Ralphingtonpuss

May 27, 2010
Nottingham
A quick question oh knowledgeable bunch. I am what is normally described as short, I also play golf very badly. I have been thinking for some time about getting some clubs to suit my limited height (5' 6"). I am at the age now where I can find time for a little more golf and hope to start to play once or twice a month as opposed to a year!

Has anyone had made to measure clubs and did it make much of a difference?

How can you get a deal on a Black Friday type thing, do Ping or Golf Centres do such a thing?

Hi, I went for measured clubs this morning first time for me. Found the whole experience interesting and helpful. I never mentioned any particular club name I preferred, I believe I hit with 3 different clubs I finished with a cobra club, graphite shaft, all clubs to be extended by 1/2 inch for a truer hit to match my swing. £545 for 7 irons [emoji2]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Hi, I went for measured clubs this morning first time for me. Found the whole experience interesting and helpful. I never mentioned any particular club name I preferred, I believe I hit with 3 different clubs I finished with a cobra club, graphite shaft, all clubs to be extended by 1/2 inch for a truer hit to match my swing. £545 for 7 irons [emoji2]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's great news, thank you.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
What are you talking about?

It goes hand in hand. Obviously you need to practice, but you knew that, however being able to get clubs that suit your swing, your height , your weight, etc is invaluable. To suggest that someone who does this is somehow a fashionista is pathetic.

Do carry on though.

Its also worth pointing out that custom measured clubs don't cost any more than off the shelf ones.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I tend to leave the driver in the bag as on my course it is generally only the par 5's that cant be reached in 2. Position is key from the tee on every hole so its a 4 or 5 iron and as you say 230 with a 4 iron is becoming common in these conditions!!

Only with a mis-hit [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
The only reason I can think of for not getting custom fit club's straightaway, is that with lessons your swing will change. So your club's will be fitted to your existing swing, you may find a different lie is required later. But I wouldn't let that put me off and get the club's with whomever you have lessons with which may help in choosing which club's to go for. Go for it and practice, practice, practice, as others have said.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
The only reason I can think of for not getting custom fit club's straightaway, is that with lessons your swing will change. So your club's will be fitted to your existing swing, you may find a different lie is required later. But I wouldn't let that put me off and get the club's with whomever you have lessons with which may help in choosing which club's to go for. Go for it and practice, practice, practice, as others have said.

Yes, good shout, but with teenage boys I’ll be losing them in a year or so anyway

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Yes, good shout, but with teenage boys I’ll be losing them in a year or so anyway

Also think about your driver. Remember you are only going to hit it no more than probably 12 times in a round and if if you are just learning, you find it easier to hit a 5 iron, which although you may not get the distance ( I can hit a 5 around 200 yards and a driver around 260 ) position when you are learning is more important than thrashing a drive.

It is the same with a putter. That is the most important club in your bag and if I could putt I would be a single handicapper. I am known as " mr two putts" trouble is that can be from 40 ft or two ft!!! I leave so many birdies on the course it is very frustrating. Spend a lot of time getting your routine and ask the pro to teach you how to aim correctly. It is fine hitting greens in regulation but so many games are ruined by shit putting! Buy a decent putter that suits you. Some people like thick grips, some like small ones....I have a mate who " acquired " a putter from a pitch and putt course, which would have cost about £5 as he is dead eye Dick! Also someone who bought a taylor made £350 professionally made for him and he can't put for toffee. Spend time getting this right!

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth

Especially if you are playing in a competition, off of s fairly high handicap.
I leave the driver in the bag.
If you get 2 shots on a hole a clip down the fairway with a 5 and then 7 or 8 to on or around the green and you are there for 0.
Even if you fluff one of the shots you are still down by the green for 1.
I won a competition once by doing that for 18 holes.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Especially if you are playing in a competition, off of s fairly high handicap.
I leave the driver in the bag.
If you get 2 shots on a hole a clip down the fairway with a 5 and then 7 or 8 to on or around the green and you are there for 0.
Even if you fluff one of the shots you are still down by the green for 1.
I won a competition once by doing that for 18 holes.

I played a 25 hcapper so giving him 15 shots and he did exactly this. I was having to par or birdie most holes to to keep up with him. I eventually overhauled him after being 6 down after 7 holes, but he started to think too much about it and I won on the last .

He didn't take anything out of his bag lower than a5 iron which he could hit 160 yards.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Also think about your driver. Remember you are only going to hit it no more than probably 12 times in a round and if if you are just learning, you find it easier to hit a 5 iron, which although you may not get the distance ( I can hit a 5 around 200 yards and a driver around 260 ) position when you are learning is more important than thrashing a drive.

It is the same with a putter. That is the most important club in your bag and if I could putt I would be a single handicapper. I am known as " mr two putts" trouble is that can be from 40 ft or two ft!!! I leave so many birdies on the course it is very frustrating. Spend a lot of time getting your routine and ask the pro to teach you how to aim correctly. It is fine hitting greens in regulation but so many games are ruined by shit putting! Buy a decent putter that suits you. Some people like thick grips, some like small ones....I have a mate who " acquired " a putter from a pitch and putt course, which would have cost about £5 as he is dead eye Dick! Also someone who bought a taylor made £350 professionally made for him and he can't put for toffee. Spend time getting this right!

Thank you, yet again great points!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Great option instead of the driver is a rescue wood - I carry a couple, 17 and 23 degrees - the first equates to approx a 2 iron in terms of distance and the second about a 4 iron, but they are way easier to hit more consistently for me than a long iron or driver so I often use them off the tee. As a result I don't have an iron longer than a 5. Well worth trying a few out before you make any decisions - as always a good pro will advise.

This is useful when you come to choosing your clubs - if you're using a decent pro shop or similar, as well as custom fitting, you will only need to buy the clubs you actually want - saved me about £200 by not having a 3 & 4 iron (I already had the rescue woods). I think I replaced one of them with a utility wedge instead (It was a while ago) so ordered SW, UW, PW, 9,8,7,6 & 5 irons to add to 2 x rescue woods, putter and driver.

Not sure if it's been mentioned but custom fitting doesn't just involve the length of the shaft - they may also tweak the plane of the face to suit your game.

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
Great option instead of the driver is a rescue wood - I carry a couple, 17 and 23 degrees - the first equates to approx a 2 iron in terms of distance and the second about a 4 iron, but they are way easier to hit more consistently for me than a long iron or driver so I often use them off the tee. As a result I don't have an iron longer than a 5. Well worth trying a few out before you make any decisions - as always a good pro will advise. .

Agree with this 100%. Been playing about 3 years but only on average once a week so only improving slowly.

I have GOT a driver but it's a 14° aeroburner minidriver which is a bit shorter and has a smaller head which I find less intimidating when swinging.

But even that is something I tend to only get out on the range as I don't seem to be able to control the blighter on the tee. So I either use a 18° 3 wood or a 20° hybrid and I'm far more likely to get it on the fairway then, nearly 200 yds on a good day (in my 60's, slow swing speed) so I reckon this is definitely the way to go.

Balders

Aug 19, 2013
I'm late to this thread, but here's the opinion of somebody that has played golf 4 days a week for the last 10yrs and got down to 5 and have experienced most things that all are talking about......

Custom Fitting for handicappers other than those who are off single figures is a vanity thing - we hit so many bad/loose shots in a round of golf and the reason for that is most amateur's swings are inconsistent and change sometimes multiple times in a round when you try to "tweek" things. Unless you have a 100% consistent swing, you'll be custom fitted for your swing on that day, not necessarily your most consistent swing - golf is a game of fine margins!

90% of golf is in the head, and the other 10% is probably also in the head.

Go out and buy a set of clubs that you like and can afford........and have fun!! Take lessons but the most important aspect of your game to get your handicap down, as others have said is inside 100yds - practice that more than anything. A custom fitted 9.23 degree, low kick point, stiff shafted driver for £400 is not going to get your handicap down to the same extent!

My game was suffering (probably due to getting older) so I went out and bought a set of Ping irons - lasted in my bag 6 months and I've gone back to my old trusted Callaway forged irons that are 6 years old.........I just remembered I loved them!

People buy clubs on how they look, but if there is anything you need advice on is the shaft and not the head - the shaft is the single most important part of the club (queue innuendo....)

And to finish, I know two 5 handicappers at my club - one buys all the latest gear and gets fitted accordingly and spends an absolute fortune, the other when he turns up on the tee, you'd think he'd just picked up a set of clubs from Oxfam/Cash Converters - go figure!!

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Great option instead of the driver is a rescue wood - I carry a couple, 17 and 23 degrees - the first equates to approx a 2 iron in terms of distance and the second about a 4 iron, but they are way easier to hit more consistently for me than a long iron or driver so I often use them off the tee. As a result I don't have an iron longer than a 5. Well worth trying a few out before you make any decisions - as always a good pro will advise.

This is useful when you come to choosing your clubs - if you're using a decent pro shop or similar, as well as custom fitting, you will only need to buy the clubs you actually want - saved me about £200 by not having a 3 & 4 iron (I already had the rescue woods). I think I replaced one of them with a utility wedge instead (It was a while ago) so ordered SW, UW, PW, 9,8,7,6 & 5 irons to add to 2 x rescue woods, putter and driver.

Not sure if it's been mentioned but custom fitting doesn't just involve the length of the shaft - they may also tweak the plane of the face to suit your game.

This is almost always sound advise, yet I’m the exact opposite. I’ve tried a number of good quality rescue clubs and fairway woods and hated all of them. I picked two rescue clubs and a fairway wood up from Sports Direct for about £30 (for the three) and they’ve become percentage clubs for me. I seem capable of nailing each of them right down the centre of the fairway basically every time, whether off the tee or off the fairway. It just shouldn’t be possible as I know they’re absolute tosh.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
This is almost always sound advise, yet I’m the exact opposite. I’ve tried a number of good quality rescue clubs and fairway woods and hated all of them. I picked two rescue clubs and a fairway wood up from Sports Direct for about £30 (for the three) and they’ve become percentage clubs for me. I seem capable of nailing each of them right down the centre of the fairway basically every time, whether off the tee or off the fairway. It just shouldn’t be possible as I know they’re absolute tosh.

Actually agree - suitability of the club isn't a lot to do with the price. I had the rescue woods before I got my new irons, they are maybe 10 years old now but I love 'em. Having them just meant I didn't need to buy a full set of irons when I eventually did change them.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex

I can’t use them either.

But it’s all about psychology. If I borrowed one and smashed it down the middle, I’d change my mind immediately and think it’s the way to go....

The things this bloody game does to your head.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here