Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Made to measure golf clubs

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Shame you know **** all about golf then.

To the OP, definitely get clubs measured for you. American golf sell off the peg clubs that may be fine in the shop, but you need to get them set right for you. It's a bit like going to M&S for a suit, yes they are decent make, but they tend to be sizes that fit all, but are not quite enough for you.

I had a set of lynx irons, which I bought off the peg and yes they were decent and I wa shooting 16 to 20'handicapp. I had some lynx parralax irons specially made and fitted at lynx factory up in Surrey and I find then so much better and now shoot 8 to 11 handicap.

I think mid sussex GC also do a fitting service.

Give it a go.

Oh right. So golf is the only sport in the world where buying expensive kit is more important than loads of practice, coaching and training then.

Must have missed that bit when watching the pros talking about the years and years of constant practice and development of their game that they have to put in.

They must know **** all about golf and should just get a new set of clubs instead.

As others have said, there is no point buying bespoke kit when you've only been playing once or twice a year and are just stepping it up. Put the hours in and get your game to a level where you then know what kit you really need first. Otherwise you're just throwing money away as you don't really know what you need.

But you clearly know better.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I don't think made-to-measure clubs would help me. Might as well be playing with a stick.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Would recommend :

-playing and practicing (mostly short game) more often
-having a course of lessons with a decent club pro to improve your swing and all-round game (include at least one on-course lesson too, it’s eye-opening)
-seeking the advice of the same pro (who will, by then, have a good idea of the type of clubs that will be best for you) on your next set of clubs, including whether custom-fit is sensible or not

thony

Jul 24, 2011
Hollingbury
Knowing nothing about golf myself, I had the opposite problem when I bought a set of clubs from a boot sale to see if I could learn golf. My brother quickly pointed out that they were a ladies' set, and would be too short for me!

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Knowing nothing about golf myself, I had the opposite problem when I bought a set of clubs from a boot sale to see if I could learn golf. My brother quickly pointed out that they were a ladies' set, and would be too short for me!

At least they weren’t left-handed, like what happened to a (right-handed) pal of mine [emoji23][emoji23]

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Thank you all for your varied and informative contributions.

I do agree the right kit without practice isn't the way to go. I have lessons booked, I've a lot of time on courses booked over the Summer months and have a Golf week for October in the planning stage.

In the meantime I am going to go to American Golf (but will look out for a black Friday style deal) and get some "custom fit", I thought I wanted Ping, mainly due to good marketing but will try them all in a pre-booked appt with an "expert".

To be honest what we're working with here is a short, fat guy who struggles to play to anywhere near 28 who is looking to play to 28. Practice and some clubs that fit rather than ones that are way too long for me may just achieve this.

With two teenage Sons of similar build (but not fat) there's little chance of me keeping hold of these clubs more than a couple of years anyway, so if I get it wrong they will be very happy with their new hand me downs!

I get the message, it's all about the P's Practice, Practice, Practice .... Practice, Pints, Pies, Practice

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Would recommend :

-playing and practicing (mostly short game) more often
-having a course of lessons with a decent club pro to improve your swing and all-round game (include at least one on-course lesson too, it’s eye-opening)
-seeking the advice of the same pro (who will, by then, have a good idea of the type of clubs that will be best for you) on your next set of clubs, including whether custom-fit is sensible or not

I agree, had a off course lesson and a round with the pro, with some tee-off times blocked out behind us, so really relaxing and very useful. I think we concluded I'm sh1t at Golf, but will get better!

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I agree, had a off course lesson and a round with the pro, with some tee-off times blocked out behind us, so really relaxing and very useful. I think we concluded I'm sh1t at Golf, but will get better!

On-course lesson usually starts with the pro asking you to set up, an then asking ‘why the **** are you aiming that way ?’ [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
On-course lesson usually starts with the pro asking you to set up, an then asking ‘why the **** are you aiming that way ?’ [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Stalker ... that's spot on!

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
There's a few on here saying don't bother. Whilst I partially agree for a raw beginner, I disagree on 2 counts.

1. The mental side - if you hit a bad shot it would be very easy to externalise and lay blame on the club/fit, if they are customised, then you can't do that.
2. It does make a difference - imagine trying to drive a car where the seat wont slide / adjust - fair to say this will affect your driving in some way if you're not between, say 5ft6 and 6ft2?

And one last point on the suggestion of gripping further down the shaft, that's fine until you get a lie where your ball is 6 inches above your feet and you need to grip even further down the club ....

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
There's a few on here saying don't bother. Whilst I partially agree for a raw beginner, I disagree on 2 counts.

1. The mental side - if you hit a bad shot it would be very easy to externalise and lay blame on the club/fit, if they are customised, then you can't do that.
2. It does make a difference - imagine trying to drive a car where the seat wont slide / adjust - fair to say this will affect your driving in some way if you're not between, say 5ft6 and 6ft2?

And one last point on the suggestion of gripping further down the shaft, that's fine until you get a lie where your ball is 6 inches above your feet and you need to grip even further down the club ....

I agree, and to be honest, if I didn't buy custom made I'd have to buy something the current set, a mix of Wilson & Callaway, purchased off a mate in the pub about ten years ago, are falling apart, literally!

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
if you can afford to get them custom fitted then why not.

If you cant then don't, Bryson Dechambeau the Amercian golfer cuts every club to the same length...

There are no rules in Golf really on that front what works for you works for you...

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull

Regarding the mental side I use a little trick I devised. I found that if I screwed up on the first hole it set the tone of the round which usually meant more anxiety and poor shots. If I play really well I can sometimes par 4 or bogey 5 the first hole so in my head I always set the par for the first hole as a 6. If I have a bad start and hit a 7 I just tell myself that it wasn't bad as only 1 over par or if I hit a 5 I mentally see I have scored a birdie. It seems to take the anxiety and pressure of the first hole away and usually sets me up for a better round.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
I agree, and to be honest, if I didn't buy custom made I'd have to buy something the current set, a mix of Wilson & Callaway, purchased off a mate in the pub about ten years ago, are falling apart, literally!

I would suggest that you have your lessons first though and ask the advice of the pro you are having lessons with re custom clubs. Good luck!

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Oh right. So golf is the only sport in the world where buying expensive kit is more important than loads of practice, coaching and training then.

Must have missed that bit when watching the pros talking about the years and years of constant practice and development of their game that they have to put in.

They must know **** all about golf and should just get a new set of clubs instead.

As others have said, there is no point buying bespoke kit when you've only been playing once or twice a year and are just stepping it up. Put the hours in and get your game to a level where you then know what kit you really need first. Otherwise you're just throwing money away as you don't really know what you need.

But you clearly know better.

What are you talking about?

It goes hand in hand. Obviously you need to practice, but you knew that, however being able to get clubs that suit your swing, your height , your weight, etc is invaluable. To suggest that someone who does this is somehow a fashionista is pathetic.

Do carry on though.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I would suggest that you have your lessons first though and ask the advice of the pro you are having lessons with re custom clubs. Good luck!

Good point and yes, that's where the thought came from. He thinks the mixed bag of clubs I have are standard and a few with a longer shaft, as a small bloke the standard are a bit too long and the others, well, it's like trying to hit a ball that's miles away.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
if you can afford to get them custom fitted then why not.

If you cant then don't, Bryson Dechambeau the Amercian golfer cuts every club to the same length...

There are no rules in Golf really on that front what works for you works for you...

Indeed, it's a bit all the gear no idea, BUT I'm not helping myself with what I have, I've got the money in the piggy bank and I think if nothing else it helps psychologically (which, I'm finding, plays a larger part in golf that I'd estimated)!

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Regarding the mental side I use a little trick I devised. I found that if I screwed up on the first hole it set the tone of the round which usually meant more anxiety and poor shots. If I play really well I can sometimes par 4 or bogey 5 the first hole so in my head I always set the par for the first hole as a 6. If I have a bad start and hit a 7 I just tell myself that it wasn't bad as only 1 over par or if I hit a 5 I mentally see I have scored a birdie. It seems to take the anxiety and pressure of the first hole away and usually sets me up for a better round.

One of the best tips I had, and it is logical if you think about it is the height of your tee. If you set a short tee high, always play it as an extra club. I hit a 8 iron about 170 yards, so it is useful to practice with various t lengths.

To take your point, I am happy if the driver isn't working, to use a 4 iron, which I get around 200, but at the moment on hard dry ground 230. That then means on many courses, that is 4 iron and nine or wedge.

The game is very much a mental one!

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
What are you talking about?

It goes hand in hand. Obviously you need to practice, but you knew that, however being able to get clubs that suit your swing, your height , your weight, etc is invaluable. To suggest that someone who does this is somehow a fashionista is pathetic.

Do carry on though.

Ok, if it really needs spelling out AGAIN.

What is the point on spending a fortune on a set of clubs when you are basically a total beginner (played once or twice a year) and as you say, you need clubs that will suit your swing?

You need to practice/have coaching FIRST to find out what your swing is really like, instead of what it is when you are playing from a base level of nothing. Then you can get the kit that will actually work for you.

This has been pointed out by lots of people on here but you're choosing to ignore all those posts in favour of getting all flustered because you took offence to what I originally wrote.

"Pathetic"?

Calm down dear.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Ok, if it really needs spelling out AGAIN.

What is the point on spending a fortune on a set of clubs when you are basically a total beginner (played once or twice a year) and as you say, you need clubs that will suit your swing?

You need to practice/have coaching FIRST to find out what your swing is really like, instead of what it is when you are playing from a base level of nothing. Then you can get the kit that will actually work for you.

This has been pointed out by lots of people on here but you're choosing to ignore all those posts in favour of getting all flustered because you took offence to what I originally wrote.

"Pathetic"?

Calm down dear.

Ok I apologise

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here