Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Moped gangs

astralavi

Apr 6, 2017
Saw a group of four mopeds smashing up bikes in Brighton station at 7.20.am. Riding around like loons wearing masks. So obvious. Don't know why police were not on them. Very menacing behaviour
I thought this was a London phenomena

astralavi

Apr 6, 2017
Yes took 10 mins to get through. People in the hotel opposite just looking on. They were under the CCTV cams

astralavi

Apr 6, 2017
I didn't notice. Bit freaked out trying lock bike up, plan escape and looking at masked faces as they kicked the crap out of all these motorbikes. The bikes they were on were distinctive one bright red one bright blue

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Do these thugs really ride mopeds. I have this image of them trying to escape by peddling a 50cc moped up a steep Brighton hill.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Saw a group of four mopeds smashing up bikes in Brighton station at 7.20.am. Riding around like loons wearing masks. So obvious. Don't know why police were not on them. Very menacing behaviour

If it was within Brighton station, it comes under BTP.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

Are you sure it wasn't those Deliveroo retards, that roam the high streets of the UK!

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013

I saw them too, they went past me while I was waiting at the lights on North Road. There was also one tw@t with them riding a motorbike without a helmet.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
There was also one tw@t with them riding a motorbike without a helmet.

Apparently they do this as police are not allowed to pursue them in case they make them have an accident.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Apparently they do this as police are not allowed to pursue them in case they make them have an accident.
I'm not sure I believe that - I suspect that is an urban myth. It doesn't make sense for a criminal to be allowed to compromise their own safety so as to improve their chances of escaping.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
Are you sure it wasn't those Deliveroo retards, that roam the high streets of the UK!

They’re not retards. It’s just that the rules of the road don’t apply to you if you’re trying to rush a Big Mac across town.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
I'm not sure I believe that - I suspect that is an urban myth. It doesn't make sense for a criminal to be allowed to compromise their own safety so as to improve their chances of escaping.

I’m afraid that to a degree it is true. Depends on the sort of offending they have been involved in but for most lower level incidents there won’t be a pursuit.

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007

Certainly mentioned it when they had the 'Met Police' programme on BBC1 earlier this year (last year?). Sadly think it's true.

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
I hate hearing stories like this. You get back off your train after a long day a work and find your bike smashed up by a bunch of bellends on mopeds. I hope the police do chase them and if they don't fall off their stupid mopeds locked up the tw@ts

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I’m afraid that to a degree it is true. Depends on the sort of offending they have been involved in but for most lower level incidents there won’t be a pursuit.

Certainly mentioned it when they had the 'Met Police' programme on BBC1 earlier this year (last year?). Sadly think it's true.
If you two and [MENTION=2393]Uncle C[/MENTION] are right, then that is f*king ridiculous. It's a license to what you want FFS.

I hate hearing stories like this. You get back off your train after a long day a work and find your bike smashed up by a bunch of bellends on mopeds. I hope the police do chase them and if they don't fall off their stupid mopeds locked up the tw@ts
This. Very much this. Utter c*nts.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
If you two and [MENTION=2393]Uncle C[/MENTION] are right, then that is f*king ridiculous. It's a license to what you want FFS.

Unfoertunately public opinion is very much against the police in chases. If the alleged criminal dies, the police are deemed to have put them into that situation.
It doesn't matter that the vandal/thief has put themselves into that situation in the first place. Remember the hooha over Henry Vincent being stabbed with his own screwdriver?
Chasing kids on a bike without a helmet is 'tantamount' to putting them in danger.

I know, it's rubbish, isn't it?

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007

This. Very much this. Utter c*nts.

Yep, it was a BBC episode on the MET about the Henry Hicks case (who was wearing a helmet), whereby police were charged (but cleared) of gross misconduct which shows why police are far from keen to chase anyone without a helmet on a moped. There's plenty to say that it's an 'unwritten rule', but it sounds like the law is open to interpretation and unless it changes officers will not put their careers at risk.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...ash-moped-ipcc-gross-misconduct-a8012221.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4762422/End-moped-madness-Police-demand-change-law.html

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
Unfoertunately public opinion is very much against the police in chases. If the alleged criminal dies, the police are deemed to have put them into that situation.
It doesn't matter that the vandal/thief has put themselves into that situation in the first place. Remember the hooha over Henry Vincent being stabbed with his own screwdriver?
Chasing kids on a bike without a helmet is 'tantamount' to putting them in danger.

I know, it's rubbish, isn't it?

I would question if public opinion is against chasing them? I know a very vocal angry mob exist, but I don't think they are a majority they are part of the problem. We should not give in to mob rule. Chase the tw@ts and lock them up

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here