Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] (Evil) Google hit with 4.3bn euro Android fine from EU

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
I think you need to look backwards, which you Brexiteers are very good at, and read about the numerous previous cases of the EU fining businesses for breaking its rules. You’ll then have your answer.
The wonderful EU do love handing out fines to boost their coffers just like our £2 billion fine for having a successful economy :glare:

Really don't get why so many people love the idiots in Brussels.....How on earth did Europe let these idiots have so much power is beyond belief.I mean Europe is just a ticking time bomb of issues !!!

Wish countries could just trade with each other and work together equally rather than having a third party bunch of idiots dictating things.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Edit - Oh and well done [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] for trying to get an Apple angle into a story that has absolutely nothing to do with Apple. :bowdown:

Others would put in a whoooooosh here due to Apple not being a plucky little underdog but are the largest company in the world (measured by market cap) and, as you say, this having absolutely nothing to do with them.

Brian Parsons

May 16, 2013
Bicester, Oxfordshire.
Hoo bloody ray someone who thinks along the same lines as the 17 million plus people who voted leave.
The wonderful EU do love handing out fines to boost their coffers just like our £2 billion fine for having a successful economy :glare:

Really don't get why so many people love the idiots in Brussels.....How on earth did Europe let these idiots have so much power is beyond belief.I mean Europe is just a ticking time bomb of issues !!!

Wish countries could just trade with each other and work together equally rather than having a third party bunch of idiots dictating things.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Perhaps the Russian approach might have been better,creating a better programme than Google.As others have said good luck with collecting the fine.Google are still contesting the first case brought against them by the EU through the courts.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Others would put in a whoooooosh here due to Apple not being a plucky little underdog but are the largest company in the world (measured by market cap) and, as you say, this having absolutely nothing to do with them.

But that bit was so obvious that pointing it out would indeed have merited a WHOOSH. ��

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
i like Google, but this was pretty shitty behaviour, especially given the same complaint at Microsoft in the past. they bundle far too much crud with Andriod that uses up space and hopefully they'll review that before other similar claims are made.

I think you will find that most of the bloatware that comes with Android phones comes from the manufacturers of those phones. One of the main reasons why people buy Google's own line of phones is because they give you the pure Android experience - bloatware free.

Well done to the EU, for having the clout to fine Google.

Why well done to the EU? Do you agree with the decision then? If so, why? Google's business model is all around AI and smart technologies to help people find the information they want and help them plan their life and make their life easier through assistive technologies. To facilitate this Google links people's Google (Android) accounts with their search history (which you can delete/disable). The manufacturers themselves don't even have to pre-load phones with Android - they could develop their own or install another (see Microsoft's failed attempt). As it happens, Android is pretty damn good. Android's also open source (free, although some addons require license fees - but I would think phone manufacturers make greater profit because it is open source) - Google wouldn't have done that out of the kindness of their heart - they want some financial reward for that (search!)

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I think you will find that most of the bloatware that comes with Android phones comes from the manufacturers of those phones. One of the main reasons why people buy Google's own line of phones is because they give you the pure Android experience - bloatware free.

Why well done to the EU? Do you agree with the decision then? If so, why? Google's business model is all around AI and smart technologies to help people find the information they want and help them plan their life and make their life easier through assistive technologies. To facilitate this Google links people's Google (Android) accounts with their search history (which you can delete/disable). The manufacturers themselves don't even have to pre-load phones with Android - they could develop their own or install another (see Microsoft's failed attempt). As it happens, Android is pretty damn good. Android's also open source (free, although some addons require license fees - but I would think phone manufacturers make greater profit because it is open source) - Google wouldn't have done that out of the kindness of their heart - they want some financial reward for that (search!)

Advertising brings in revenue.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
=Google's business model is all around AI and smart technologies to help people find the information they want and help them plan their life and make their life easier through assistive technologies.

No, no it's not. Google's business model is advertising. Around 87% of Google's revenue currently comes from advertising.

Google brings great efficiencies to advertising by being able to offer highly targeted users for marketers to advertise to. They do this by offering a wide-range of largely free products that millions of people wilfully use in exchange for being advertised to.

Users are not Google's customers, they are the product that Google is selling.

I've got nothing against Google at all - I use a myriad of Google products and services myself, only a couple of which I pay for, and I'm delighted to be able to exchange my data in return for access to those products and services, because I'd rather receive targeted advertising than random shit.

D

Deleted member 22389

Your correct. Google support open source by giving back. Some companies take and give nothing back. If it wasn't for open source Google probably wouldn't be here.

https://www.linux.com/news/how-google-uses-and-contributes-open-source

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
No, no it's not. Google's business model is advertising. Around 87% of Google's revenue currently comes from advertising.

Google brings great efficiencies to advertising by being able to offer highly targeted users for marketers to advertise to. They do this by offering a wide-range of largely free products that millions of people wilfully use in exchange for being advertised to.

Users are not Google's customers, they are the product that Google is selling.

I've got nothing against Google at all - I use a myriad of Google products and services myself, only a couple of which I pay for, and I'm delighted to be able to exchange my data in return for access to those products and services, because I'd rather receive targeted advertising than random shit.

All of what you say is correct, but it isn't contradictory to my post. How does Google make money from advertisements? AI, linking Google products, search, website ads, data processing, etc - AI/search/assistive technologies all make it easier to target advertisements (and make more money). They are all linked - Google's advertising revenues, for example, would be hit if they couldn't link AI/search with advertisements. Advertisements are just the end point at which the money enters Google's pockets - there are many preceding events.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

you're in denial: hangouts, drive, newstand, pinyin keyboards, etc, all manner of rubbish filling up space, running in the background, using up bandwidth. remove and they come bounding back in the next update like an unwanted puppy.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
you're in denial: hangouts, drive, newstand, pinyin keyboards, etc, all manner of rubbish filling up space, running in the background, using up bandwidth. remove and they come bounding back in the next update like an unwanted puppy.
Nope. Deleted all that shit and haven't seen it since. It'll be your phone manufacturer/service provider that's the issue. Not Google.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here