Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brighton's homeless and that Victor Meldrew feeling

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Austerity policies have probably had some effect but aren't you missing something? What percentage of that 54% was down to a rise in foreign-born nationals sleeping on our streets? I seem to remember a report that well over 50% in London are foreign born and most of them come from EU countries.

I also remember a ruling where the courts said deporting homeless people from EEA countries contravenes EU law.

A lot of London's general population is foreign born, British citizens included.

Never mind ESA and PIP reductions and capability assessments for them finding people with mental health, substance issues and learning difficulties 'fit' for work or the joys of Universal Credit roll-out for new, vulnerable claimants - blame it on immigrants as usual.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
A lot of London's general population is foreign born, British citizens included.

Never mind ESA and PIP reductions and capability assessments for them finding people with mental health, substance issues and learning difficulties 'fit' for work or the joys of Universal Credit roll-out for new, vulnerable claimants - blame it on immigrants as usual.

I said austerity probably had some impact but anyone claiming mass immigration isn't a factor is delusional. I'm not 'blaming' anyone just pointing out immigration is another factor. Misrepresenting this as a blame all immigrants/racism argument is still much loved by many on the left obviously ...

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
So a problem that has massively risen since 2010 is down to something 13 years earlier? That makes no sense

e0b1dbb20b54f74bcd9ae167a77b4c00.png

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I said austerity probably had some impact but anyone claiming mass immigration isn't a factor is delusional. I'm not 'blaming' anyone just pointing out immigration is another factor. Misrepresenting this as a blame all immigrants/racism argument is still much loved by many on the left obviously ...

Austerity 'probably has some impact'?! **** me. What do you think the introduction of the Housing Benefit cap in South East England did to homelessness and rough sleeping? As a percentage of households outside of London in South East England Brighton and Hove, Hastings and Eastbourne have the highest levels of rough sleeping. Not that, not UC, not capability assessments - it's mass immigration in'it.

Last edited:

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Austerity has had probably some impact?! **** me. What do you think the introduction of the Housing Benefit cap in South East England did to homelessness and rough sleeping? As a percentage of households outside of London in South East England Brighton and Hove, Hastings and Eastbourne have the highest levels of rough sleeping. Not that, not UC, not capability assessments - it's mass immigration in'it.

Almost 60 per cent of recorded people sleeping rough in London are foreign nationals, (2015) .....The report from the Department for Local Communities and Government used data from local agencies including volunteers, the police, outreach workers and housing authorities, as well as members of the public, to collect statistical information about the people sleeping rough in single-night snapshots in local authority areas.

The city of London has one of the highest rates of homelessness in England, and that rate continues to increase year on year, with a 30 per cent rise in rough sleepers from last year's figure.

As the graph shows, the second-highest majority after British nationals with 1,388 people this year is Romanians, closely followed by Poles and Lithuanians.

The Migration Observatory, an Oxford University-based think tank, says that Poland and Romania are two of the top ten countries of birth of migrants in the capital.

This data indicates a correlation between homelessness rates and proportion of foreign nationals, and despite the fact that many EU nationals come to the UK to look for economic opportunity in this country, their search oftentimes doesn't come to fruition.

23435-1i6gkro.jpg

https://www.indy100.com/article/the...-in-london-are-foreign-nationals--WkxGkDhwuJW

Home Office policy to deport EU rough sleepers ruled unlawful
High court says removal of homeless individuals originally from EEA countries is contrary to EU law and discriminatory

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...olicy-deport-eu-rough-sleepers-ruled-unlawful

Sorry sources are not from Guido had to rey on liberal lefty SAUCES. Immigration is one factor in rising homelessness shock .. mass immigration puts a strain on limited resources and support shock :rolleyes:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Homelessness in England has increased by 54% since 2010.

I wish I could think of something of political significance that happened around that time.

changes to how they count homelessness?

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Almost 60 per cent of recorded people sleeping rough in London are foreign nationals, (2015) .....The report from the Department for Local Communities and Government used data from local agencies including volunteers, the police, outreach workers and housing authorities, as well as members of the public, to collect statistical information about the people sleeping rough in single-night snapshots in local authority areas.

The city of London has one of the highest rates of homelessness in England, and that rate continues to increase year on year, with a 30 per cent rise in rough sleepers from last year's figure.

As the graph shows, the second-highest majority after British nationals with 1,388 people this year is Romanians, closely followed by Poles and Lithuanians.

The Migration Observatory, an Oxford University-based think tank, says that Poland and Romania are two of the top ten countries of birth of migrants in the capital.

This data indicates a correlation between homelessness rates and proportion of foreign nationals, and despite the fact that many EU nationals come to the UK to look for economic opportunity in this country, their search oftentimes doesn't come to fruition.

23435-1i6gkro.jpg

https://www.indy100.com/article/the...-in-london-are-foreign-nationals--WkxGkDhwuJW

Home Office policy to deport EU rough sleepers ruled unlawful
High court says removal of homeless individuals originally from EEA countries is contrary to EU law and discriminatory

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...olicy-deport-eu-rough-sleepers-ruled-unlawful

Sorry sources are not from Guido had to rey on liberal lefty SAUCES. Immigration is one factor in rising homelessness shock .. mass immigration puts a strain on limited resources and support shock :rolleyes:

I appreciate this is one of those threads where your more unsavoury side bubbles up to the surface, so you're frothing at the mouth, dragging your knuckles on the ground and looking at sources, such as the one that showed you didn't know the difference between Homeless Duty that local authorities are duty obliged to care for registered homeless people, homelessness and rough sleeping, because you got all excited about immigrants and blaming something on The EU etc, etc as is your custom, but this thread is about Brighton and Hove. How many of Brighton and Hove's rough sleepers are foreign?

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Don't blame the govenment, they've got enough on their plate..

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Yeah I wish they'd just **** off to Worthing.

this may have the kernel of a solution. if you were to direct people to an area, you could provide better services and support.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I've got shops on Brighton seafront and can tell you the facts as to what is happening. There are three types of 'homless', the true homeless who are quiet and non troublesome. Next is a gang of about six guys, one woman plus assorted dogs. These are trouble and steal from every shop on the seafront. They are drug addicts and need money. Then there are the professionals. They come in their 4x4's change into old clothes and take up all prime begging spots. They are an organised gang who move the homeless off their patches. So what can we do about it? If you call the police they will move them on although I did this and had rude text chalked outside the shop. The 'pros' earn £100's a night. The police are too stretched to really do anything. There are charities for the genuine homeless but the others only want money for drugs or for iPhone, cars and posh houses they already own.

afcb

Dec 14, 2007
I've got shops on Brighton seafront and can tell you the facts as to what is happening. There are three types of 'homless', the true homeless who are quiet and non troublesome. Next is a gang of about six guys, one woman plus assorted dogs. These are trouble and steal from every shop on the seafront. They are drug addicts and need money. Then there are the professionals. They come in their 4x4's change into old clothes and take up all prime begging spots. They are an organised gang who move the homeless off their patches. So what can we do about it? If you call the police they will move them on although I did this and had rude text chalked outside the shop. The 'pros' earn £100's a night. The police are too stretched to really do anything. There are charities for the genuine homeless but the others only want money for drugs or for iPhone, cars and posh houses they already own.

I live in Poole, population 150,000....

The council banned begging this year (and started fining them ), all the do gooders naturally kicked off but the problem disappeared overnight. The dogs, the harassment, the druggies, the mess - all magically upped and went.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Very simple quote to make, designed to make you look superior, but it is not all about that is it. It is about the anti social behaviour that goes with it and something does need to be done, by who I don't care it simply does on many levels social care, housing the whole nine yards.

I am more concerned at the moment about safety not for me, only the other week I took my daughter to Prince Regent for swimming lessons (yes I know how middle class of me) and as we got out of the car (yes I know how middle class yet again) two homeless drunks were fighting a man and a woman, not only did my daughter witness violence towards a woman we dodged a flying bottle at 9:30am.....

Yes my daughter is aware of the homeless situation in the city it is everywhere, I make a point of buying dog treats and sandwich for the homeless man outside the coop on Lewes Road and getting my daughter to give it the them, she loves the fact the dog gets so excited about the treats, so no matter what you come back with I know, I have nothing to be ashamed about or hide from.

It is not a bad thing to be concerned about the state of the city, the OP did not ask for all homeless people to be rounded up and shot or anything.

Bit condescending buying the poor bugger dog treats, shirly? What's wrong with a packet of Wotsits? :shrug:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I appreciate this is one of those threads where your more unsavoury side bubbles up to the surface, so you're frothing at the mouth, dragging your knuckles on the ground and looking at sources, such as the one that showed you didn't know the difference between Homeless Duty that local authorities are duty obliged to care for registered homeless people, homelessness and rough sleeping, because you got all excited about immigrants and blaming something on The EU etc, etc as is your custom, but this thread is about Brighton and Hove. How many of Brighton and Hove's rough sleepers are foreign?

I love the fact that I blocked the Prancing Ninny. How refreshing to be reminded of this from time to time.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
changes to how they count homelessness?

That must be it, The Tories must have changed the rules to make homelessness 'increase' to make themselves look bad, like the way they fiddled the enemployment stats to make the number artifically smaller during the Thatcher years.

Oh.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
I live in Poole, population 150,000....

The council banned begging this year (and started fining them ), all the do gooders naturally kicked off but the problem disappeared overnight. The dogs, the harassment, the druggies, the mess - all magically upped and went.
Well done that council. The homeless are scum mostly

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Reasonable commentary from someone with the eye witness data. Appreciated.

I worked (on the deckchairs) in 1977 and 1979 at the bottom of West Street. There was a gaggle of 'alkies' drinking 'jack' (a mix of surgical spirit and water - which will cause brain damage and blinndness). Several jocks, on the sosh in the sun, giro posted to cheap bed and breafast (we had some back then) but not exactly a plague of locusts. Fast forward to now and it sounds like London has come to the coast.

But as @Uckfied Seagull notes there are genuine homeless and it strikes me as quite disgusting for other posters to band together these poor buggers, most of whom will be depressed at minimum and mentally ill, possibly with schizophrenia, at worst, with the gangs of professionals. And the police need to sort this out. Where I work there are occasionally build ups of flim flammers and pick pocketers on Westminster Brdge. Every now and then the police kettle them and they are gone for months. In fact they have been gone all year. It isn't.....that difficult.....I don't think.

aberllefenni

Jan 15, 2009
As ManofSussex has alluded to, if you think the homelessness situation is bad now wait until Universal Credit is fully rolled out. Much has been made of the advantages of simplifying the system but what this pernicious government fails to publicise is that whereas in the past if someone is sanctioned they are just denied the one benefit, with U.C. they will also lose their housing and council tax benefits. Add that to the fact that claimants are expected to spend 35 hours a week "actively seeking work" and on a whim the DWP can dispute the time taken on any work-search activity. A recent survey determined that you are 20 times more likely to be sanctioned on U.C. than all other working age benefits combined and that's without taking into account delayed payments of up to six months, in the more extreme cases, for new claimants.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here