Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Sam Baldock moves to Reading {CONFIRMED}

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
This evening I'm going to watch Harry Maguire get his big fat face in the way of the ball, and be told he's Bobby Moore.

Exactly! I'm sick of hearing about Harry Maguire, he's JUST a lump. A dreadful John Terry impersonator with none of the skill or cynicism. John Stones is a peasant's Rio Ferdinand, I really don't want to hear about him as being this "world class" centre back just because he can play a simple 10 yard pass without putting the ball in the stand.

Everyone rates players differently. Ultimately, they come and go. Fans remain.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I've taken 9/2 on Reading to be relegated this season. Their squad is absolutely terrible, they have a reasonable goalkeeper for that level in Vito Mannone but the rest of the squad is really, really poor.

http://www.footballsquads.co.uk/eng/2018-2019/flcham/reading.htm

I don't dislike Reading, I have no specific feelings about them as a club but I do find this squad to be up there with the Brighton squad of 14/15. Really, really poor quality.

I think Clement has focused on bringing in strong characters and leaders this summer, rather than adding quality. We have a lot of players who on their day, are very good, like Swift, Kelly, Barrow, Bacuna. They are just very inconsistent and mentally weak when the chips are down. The squad is probably better than last year (which says a lot). I'm expecting a slightly more solid team but not one that will challenge for anything. Bottom half but not in any real danger.

Just curious as to whether you still feel this is the case.

relegation zone.JPG

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Three games in? Yes, my mind hasn't changed.

As an exiled Albion fan living in reading, I hope reading do well but it looks bad.
My reading supporting mates were delighted when baldock signed , as if they were prizing away one of our star players. I put them straight.
Reading could do a lot worse than get Liam rosenior as their next manager

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
As an exiled Albion fan living in reading, I hope reading do well but it looks bad.
My reading supporting mates were delighted when baldock signed , as if they were prizing away one of our star players. I put them straight.

Career suicide for Liam.

theroyal

May 11, 2014

First two games we looked MUCH improved from last season, but somehow contrived to lose both games, which is a concern. They do say losing is a habit. We had a good cup win in the week but yesterday seemed to revert to type against Bolton.

I obviously have concerns but you can't make a real judgement three games into the season. We need to add some quality before the loan market window finishes though, we're losing matches by very narrow margins which wouldn't be that case if we were more clinical.

BTW great win for you guys today.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Have Reading's gates dropped to 10-11,000 yet or are we still a couple of weeks away from that yet?

Apart from that, they're just like us apparently. :rolleyes:

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
He did indeed, penalty in added time to rescue a point. Pleased for him.

Note. Why did he never take penalties for us?
I can think of one or two reasons.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
A good finish today by Sam in a rare Reading win at Preston (a place where we always seemed to lose!).

Why so quiet for so long and then bounce when he's done something? I know it happens so rarely that it's noteworthy, but it's a bit tedious. Where were you during all the barren games, and the barren games to come? He's a 1 in 5 striker, I'll look forward to the bounce in October.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Why so quiet for so long and then bounce when he's done something? I know it happens so rarely that it's noteworthy, but it's a bit tedious. Where were you during all the barren games, and the barren games to come? He's a 1 in 5 striker, I'll look forward to the bounce in October.

I'm relaxed about Sam, as to whether he succeeds or flops, but I like the bloke simply for his Albion career. I just thought I'd mention his goal in a win. No other angle. I think that SB was not PL class.

Your grumpy reply was a surprise!

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I'm relaxed about Sam, as to whether he succeeds or flops, but I like the bloke simply for his Albion career. I just thought I'd mention his goal in a win. No other angle. I think that SB was not PL class.

Your grumpy reply was a surprise!

I apologise. I've been a bit grumpy generally today and sounded off, no need for it. I just get annoyed ahead of time, I know I'm going to hear all about the goal on monday from the Reading fan at work who has been oddly quiet lately and I, essentially, just practiced my immediate response. I may just tell him to get back in his box and enjoy the lurch toward relegation. :albion2:

Or I could ask if they invaded the pitch to celebrate a rare win.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Really pleased for Sam, CH obviously didn’t rate him in the Premier League but I have really good memories of his contribution to our promotion. Go Sam

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I apologise. I've been a bit grumpy generally today and sounded off, no need for it. I just get annoyed ahead of time, I know I'm going to hear all about the goal on monday from the Reading fan at work who has been oddly quiet lately and I, essentially, just practiced my immediate response. I may just tell him to get back in his box and enjoy the lurch toward relegation. :albion2:

Or I could ask if they invaded the pitch to celebrate a rare win.

No problem. :)

Incidentally, Reading is a club (like MKDons) I've never liked, even when they were at Elm Park. Inherently small IMO.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here