Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Sam Baldock moves to Reading {CONFIRMED}

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I am assuming you stopped going to games the year we got promoted. He is a top Championship player and a striker too, how many of those arrive on a free?

Getting fairly large earners off the wage bill is as good as a fee and also frees up space in the 25 man squad, for potential new arrivals. I don't see his fee breaking £1m if even anywhere near that. I like him as a player too but the squad needs to progress and get better by every passing transfer window.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
Reading over value players ( see L. Moore ), so I hope Barber strikes a shrewd deal on this one.

Well said. If Reading want Baldock they should pay through the nose after hiking up Moore's fee. I'd rather Baldock went on a free to nearly anyone else (except Palace obviously) than go to Reading.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I am assuming you stopped going to games the year we got promoted. He is a top Championship player and a striker too, how many of those arrive on a free?

Nah...everything before the prem has been expunged from my memory.

I always thought he wasn't up to it...for me he was a bit like the Barnes argument.....some think he was great nad some don't. I'm one who didn't!

He is also very injury prone.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Free or minimal. He is not all that

Still got 2 years to go on his contract so there will definitely be a fee involved.
Of course the club never disclose fees so I doubt we’ll ever know!

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
If he's off then I wish him all the best - he turned out to be a very good signing for us.

I'm surprised that a Championship club with parachute cash hasn't made a decent offer - a 1 in 3 Championship striker with good experience could net you 14/15 goals if he stays fit, and that has to be worth £4m / £5m of anyone's money.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I would say to that awful club that you can have Sam B for a silly figure, say, £5M, or you can tie the deal up with the Moore deal, so Moore for £10M + Sam B...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
If he's off then I wish him all the best - he turned out to be a very good signing for us.

I'm surprised that a Championship club with parachute cash hasn't made a decent offer - a 1 in 3 Championship striker with good experience could net you 14/15 goals if he stays fit, and that has to be worth £4m / £5m of anyone's money.

The crucial bit of your post is 'if he stays fit'... unfortunately, buying clubs know he probably won't...

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Seems to me that Baldock & Hemed would make an imaginative strikeforce signing for somebody somewhere at a lower level, either here or abroad.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
So Reading want to sell us a player who has no Premier League experience at a grossly inflated fee and we are going to let a striker (much more difficult to acquire than CB) who was in a promotion winning team, go the Reading for a bargain knock down price. Can anyone on here see TB going along with this?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Getting fairly large earners off the wage bill is as good as a fee and also frees up space in the 25 man squad, for potential new arrivals. I don't see his fee breaking £1m if even anywhere near that. I like him as a player too but the squad needs to progress and get better by every passing transfer window.

If I didn’t think that you had some sort of ear to the ground on the Albion, I’d say bollox to your 1 million quid :smile:

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Didn't Reading offer about 5 million in the end for Hemed ?

Surely we should be looking around 2 million for Baldock

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here