Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] West Ham on squad spending spree

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
After years of relatively tightness, even at the larger Olympic Stadium, Gold and Sullivan are suddenly going 'bananas' on fees and high wages.

F.Anderson £36m
Wilshire free
Diop £20m
Fabianski £7m
Balbuena £6.5m
Fredericks free
Yarmalenko £17.5m
With more players coming in.

Why the change now? Perhaps the Cockney's coin-throwing violence ultimately worked.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
After years of relatively tightness, even at the larger Olympic Stadium, Gold and Sullivan are suddenly going 'bananas' on fees and high wages.

F.Anderson £36m
Wilshire free
Diop £20m
Fabianski £7m
Balbuena £6.5m
Fredericks free
Yarmalenko £17.5m

Why the change now? Perhaps the Cockney's coin-throwing violence ultimately worked.

It is well overdue to be fair.... big gamble though throwing loads of players together at once.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
relative tightness are you sure.

They are as bad as our friends up the road for pissing money up the wall on injured over paid has beens

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

They are as bad as our friends up the road for pissing money up the wall on injured over paid has beens

This.

Look at that lot - loads of players who have under performed and are doubtless on enormous wages. It's like Paul Merson pulls the strings there. :lolol:

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
This.

Look at that lot - loads of players who have under performed and are doubtless on enormous wages. It's like Paul Merson pulls the strings there. :lolol:

Exactly. While not breaking the bank in terms of transfer fees, they've been breaking the bank in terms of wages for a long time now.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Hernandez was bought for £17million last summer and was on £140k per week, allegedly. Not to mention the £18million on Andy Carroll, plus wages, which has had pretty much zero return on investment.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

F.Anderson £36m
Wilshire free
Diop £20m
Fabianski £7m
Balbuena £6.5m
Fredericks free
Yarmalenko £17.5m

Can spend as much as they like, then they'll get relegated and pay the price for being too brassy in spending the dosh!

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
To be honest I think they have got some decent signings in there, but Lanzini being out for the season will hurt them big time.

F.Anderson £36m
Wilshire free
Fabianski £7m
Yarmalenko £17.5m

I expect these all to do very well for West Ham, although not a huge fan of the manager and wouldnt be a complete shock if they did an Everton last season.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Fredericks free

To me, that's the best bit of business of the lot. Amazed he didn't stay at Fulham. Massive loss to them as, having watched a fair bit of them in the 2nd half of the season, he was a huge reason they went up.

The world cup had made me completely miss that.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
To me, that's the best bit of business of the lot. Amazed he didn't stay at Fulham. Massive loss to them as, having watched a fair bit of them in the 2nd half of the season, he was a huge reason they went up.

The world cup had made me completely miss that.

I have no doubt West Ham offered him double what Fulham did with a hefty sign on.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
To be honest I think they have got some decent signings in there, but Lanzini being out for the season will hurt them big time.

F.Anderson £36m
Wilshire free
Fabianski £7m
Yarmalenko £17.5m

I expect these all to do very well for West Ham, although not a huge fan of the manager and wouldnt be a complete shock if they did an Everton last season.

They also won't have Joao Mario, who was on loan for the second half of last season.

el punal

It’s the same old, old story. Clubs that buy in loads of new players at ridiculous prices, pay those players ridiculous wages, end up with a ridiculous squad that very rarely play as a team. Splashing the cash is no guarantee of success or of avoiding failure, careful planning and preparation and ensuring the the RIGHT player signs is.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
I like Felipe Anderson a lot. Ditto Fredericks

Wilshere will be excellent if he plays more than 3/4 of the season

Yarmolenko is very overrated IMO.Fabianski meh.

I don't know anything about Diop or Balbuena.

On the whole there are worse ways of spunking £90m + half a mil a week in wages.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Yes, sure, per Companies House.

Gold & Sullivan have WHU paying back the capital on their loans to club, down to £45m, at the same time paying themselves interest at 4% to 6%. No new pumped into the club for several seasons now. The club made a huge profit in the last reported year 2016/17.

In contrast to WHU's £45m loan from shareholders:

Albion - Bloom had injected cash of £141m on the playing/operations side & £144m on infrastructure. Interest free.

Everton - Moshiri has lent £150m in just 2 years.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Wilshere apart, which I think will be a car crash, they've made some cracking signings. Good manager now as well, they should definitely be looking to finish 7th.

Elsewhere, Southampton are also splashing the cash and have made some very decent signings. They'll have a much better season next year.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Wilshere apart, which I think will be a car crash, they've made some cracking signings. Good manager now as well, they should definitely be looking to finish 7th.

Elsewhere, Southampton are also splashing the cash and have made some very decent signings. They'll have a much better season next year.

Stains, Everton, Leicester and West Ham are all hoping to buy their 'rightful place' as top half throughout the season and never again in a relegation dogfight.

Money can work, but the law of averages says it won't for all four clubs. For the Albion's sake and because it'll be funny, I hope it goes belly up for some of them.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here