Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Advice on flying to California

Mattywerewolf

Mar 7, 2012
Saff of the River
Was pleasantly surprised at how much cheaper it was to go on BA from LGW into Oakland rather than SF. Booked 6 months ago going at end of July for £500 a head in economy. Try them if booking ahead

D

Deleted member 18477

Flew to LAX and hired car.

From landing to passport control to luggage and getting out to hire car place (shuttle bus) it was fairly slow. But it’s USA, security is tight and they never have enough people on the security desks (same at JFK).

However once in the car I loved driving out of LAX to Manhattan beach where we stayed for the first couple of nights. Went Around LA, Beverly Hills to the Hollywood sign, then Santa Monica, Venice beach, Huntington Beach, Laguna Beach and San Diego before driving back up to LAX to go home.

Would happily do it all again... if I had to pick 1 place it would be Laguna though. So clean and quiet. Found a delightful hotel called the Ranch tucked away.

Raphael Meade

Jul 5, 2003
Shoreham/LA
Norwegian from Gatwick, as others have said, is definitely you're best bet budget wise. Nothing else comes close if you book far enough ahead.

On the traditional carriers, American flies a 77W on LHR-LAX route and I think is the best coach (with main cabin extra for about 100 a seat, you'll get bunch of extra leg room) or if you want to splash out a bit, American business is best by far on LHR-LAX route also.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Was pleasantly surprised at how much cheaper it was to go on BA from LGW into Oakland rather than SF. Booked 6 months ago going at end of July for £500 a head in economy. Try them if booking ahead

Route suspended from the end of October

Jul 7, 2003
Make sure you search around and also be careful when comparing prices as many airlines now have the basic fare which doesn't include any luggage (assuming you can't do a Californian holiday on hand luggage only).

I'm going to Denver in September and when we started looking at flights we found that Norwegian only came in slightly cheaper than the traditional airlines once you added on luggage etc. Many people rate their short haul but I have heard more negative than positive about their long haul and they also seem to pick up some hefty delays on the long haul route.

For my Denver trip, we found a full economy fare with United for around £360 return directly on their website compared to around £560 with others.

If you can be flexible with your dates then moving a day or two can save some serious cash. Look at partner airlines - Iberia often offer BA or AA flights cheaper then you can get from their partners. Also, look at some indirect flight options - a short layover can save decent cash as well.

Jul 7, 2003
Route suspended from the end of October

Nobody wants to go to Oakland. Always thought this was a strange route as they already had both San Francisco and San Jose up in that area. San Jose is more the business route now for the tech and healthcare companies, San Francisco for the tourists - the only reason to go to Oakland would be the NFL and they are not the most welcoming bunch up there.

PTC Gull

Micky Mouse country.
NSC Patron
Apr 17, 2017
Florida
How about flying directly to Vegas and then driving from there? Arrival experience is much better than LAX and you can get a cheap hotel to stay for a couple of days and check out the "strip". Virgin do that route or you can go with WestJet via Calgary as a cheaper alternative. All the majors go there but either via another US entry point of from LHR (BA). Vegas to the West coast is about a 5 hour drive depending where you want to go.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Flying in to SFO next month then taking a few days driving up to Oregon before a hectic week or so of babysitting. Flight from LHX plus midrange hire car was £606 booked last week.

MrSnuggles

Apr 29, 2016
I go two or three times a year as my kids live there. There are 8 non stop carriers to LAX. Norwegian as others have said is always decent value for money and a modern fleet. It pays though to shop around when you book. Often airlines such as New Zealand have specials. If it's budget you're after then try Wow airlines. Probably the cheapest to LAX but you have to change in Iceland between 2-4 hours layover). You will have to pay for 2 lots of luggage if your taking a suitcase thou LGW- Iceland, and Iceland to LAX. You can stay over in Iceland over night or even a couple of days at no extra flight cost if you fancy a bit of a two centre trip. Great if it's later in the year to see the northern lights and experience the natural hot spas!

MrSnuggles

Apr 29, 2016
I go two or three times a year as my kids live there. There are 8 non stop carriers to LAX. Norwegian as others have said is always decent value for money and a modern fleet. It pays though to shop around when you book. Often airlines such as New Zealand have specials. If it's budget you're after then try Wow airlines. Probably the cheapest to LAX but you have to change in Iceland between 2-4 hours layover). You will have to pay for 2 lots of luggage if your taking a suitcase thou LGW- Iceland, and Iceland to LAX. You can stay over in Iceland over night or even a couple of days at no extra flight cost if you fancy a bit of a two centre trip. Great if it's later in the year to see the northern lights and experience the natural hot spas!

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Free seat on Southwest Airlines, but you have to be FAT...
Would a fat black person be a "customer of size of colour", or a "customer of colour of size"...?

🤔

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Comrade Sam

Comrade Sam
Jan 31, 2013
Walthamstow
Don't ask a Californian geography questions. In 2004 me and Mrs Comrade Sam spent 6 weeks in the US. We married in Vegas, flew to San Francisco for a week, flew to Kauai, then back to LA.
We were supposed to get the train down the Rockies and around the gulf of Mexico to New Orleans. The train was cancelled as it was 48 hours late, so the rail company put us up in a hotel, then the next morning put us on a plane from LAX to Phoenix Arizona, then on another to Chicago, paid for a hotel there and then we took the train down the Mississippi to New Orleans. Whilst it was a little bit of a detour, Chicago was awesome. We then took the train to New York, shopped and came home. The joys of Teacher's summer holidays and no kids.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Wouldn't class myself as an 'experienced' traveller but we have just returned from doing this trip. We flew in an out San Fran which was a doddle. We went fairly close to LA and I would recommend that you avoid going anywhere near it; it's one big traffic jam. Highlights on our trip were SF, Pacific Highway, Santa Barbara, Vegas, Grand Canyon, Death Valley, Yosemite and Napa Valley.
I did all of the above, apart from GC, from Vegas to San Diego via SF, bloody awesome. If anyone goes near Death Valley to Yosemite check out this bbq shack. The year I went out it was voted no.1 restaurant in the whole of the US on Yelp. Best restaurant in US, its a shack that you can only eat outside on picnic tables next to the smoker! Bloody lovely, so not miss it, if anywhere near it. Guys I shared a table with had driven 100 miles to just go there. Another family buying extras to take back to LA! https://www.coppertopbbq.com/

For the OP, I flew in to Vegas, hired a car and dropped it off at San Diego at no extra cost. This might work for you.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here