Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] This wretched heat

Fungus

NSC Patreon
May 21, 2004
Truro
And the award for the NSC member with the most unglamorous job, goes to...............

People doing those jobs deserve a lot more awards and respect. :thumbsup:

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
Now that was hot.Not like now.You can easily buy a fan nowadays anywhere to take the edge off.
Do you remember the ladybird plague:moo:

Yep I remember the ladybird plague. Day at the beach, my brother and I spent hours rescuing them from the sea!! I was only 6, and do look back at that and try and work out wtf I was doing!

Brok

😐
Dec 26, 2011
Rampion wind farm-
untitled.png
Divert a bit of power to a few of these beauties so they spin really fast. Lovely cool breeze.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Now that was hot.Not like now.You can easily buy a fan nowadays anywhere to take the edge off.
Do you remember the ladybird plague:moo:

Some of you lot should have been around in 1976. We had a three month heatwave ( June/July/Aug ) Barely a drop of rain for three months. Hosepipe bans everywhere. Playing cricket was unbearable. You came off the field dripping wet with sweat. Dust bowls everywhere. Google England v W Indies, final Test at the Oval. The outfield has no grass on it.
The weather broke at the end of August/beginning of Sep. Then it rained, almost continually for a month!

I went to the Oval test in 76, I think about the fourth day, Greenidge and Hendricks (?) knocked us out of the ground. It was very hot and I was 11 and had no money for drinks, I roasted that day.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
I broke my arm falling off a bike in the summer of 76. It was my upper arm, the humerus (aka the funny bone) so my arm wasn't put in a plaster cast. Instead my arm was strapped to my chest so I couldnt move it. Before strapping my arm up they put a piece of wadding in my arm pit. Because I was unable to move my arm I wasnt able to wash my arm pit so the wadding just absorbed the sweat undisturbed for about six weeks. I'll never forget the day when I felt recovered enough to unstrap my arm and remove the wadding.The accumulation of six weeks of heat wave induced unwashed, undeoderised sweat that had absorbed into that wadding was something I've never experienced before or since.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
No I didn't know his background. I read somewhere that they changed their names 'cos of signing on and I think he lived with one of the Slits.
I actually have a book about the Clash, but have never found time to read it so far ... it was a gift.
It sits on the shelf gathering dust with rest of my 'retirement' reading :)

I think I bought the book for my son ....I should borrow it....

Strummer was a bit of a lothario, apparently. Him and Steve Jones cold barely keep it in their trousers...:rolleyes:

Retirement? Now there's a thought....:rolleyes:

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Best summer - first proper summer, even - since 2006.

After the grey rainy wash-outs, and 'Spring has gone straight into Autumn', summers of the last decade or so, I'm loving this.

This summer is certainly the best I remember for a long while, but summers over the last decade certainly haven't been a case of 'spring straight into autumn' on the whole... They've just been 'normal' summers for this part of the world - a lot of nice warm sunny spells with a few heat waves, but with mixed spells too. This one is an unusually hot/dry one for us!

loco61

Jan 30, 2004
Hove GOSBTS
better stay as it is .. three weeks holiday from the 21st july … cant wait to get back on the island and i love the sun… first week of three = brighton

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Some of you lot should have been around in 1976. We had a three month heatwave ( June/July/Aug ) Barely a drop of rain for three months. Hosepipe bans everywhere. Playing cricket was unbearable. You came off the field dripping wet with sweat. Dust bowls everywhere. Google England v W Indies, final Test at the Oval. The outfield has no grass on it.
The weather broke at the end of August/beginning of Sep. Then it rained, almost continually for a month!

I remember somebody carved 'SAVE WATER' in giant letters into the bowling green at Queen's Park.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here